walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

beinn a bheithir

beinn a bheithir

Postby d gwynn » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:53 pm

Munros included on this walk: Sgòrr Dhearg (Beinn a' Bheithir), Sgòrr Dhònuill (Beinn a' Bheithir)

Date walked: 07/09/2013

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 1620m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The day started out with an expected long walk-in on tarmac in the rain to ballachulish, but a friendly fellow from the SYHA stopped and offered me a lift to my start point and it would of been rude to decline :clap: I started out by the church and crossed a style into the woods and followed a well trodden path up the coire giubhsachain which is easy to follow until you break out of the trees then you are heather bashing and heading for the col on the ridge at the head of the coire.
DSC_0078.jpg
half way up the coire giubhsachain looking back to the woods and loch leven
When I gained this ridge the rain had stopped but the wind was howling(40mph ish) and the cloud base was just at this point and i thought, that i was in for a day in the clouds. I started the plod up to the first summit of the day and as I got to the top of sgorr dhearg there were starting to be breaks in the cloud which were offering me tantilizing glimpses of the surrounding views.It was too windy to hang about so i started the decent and the cloud really did start to break up as I made way down to the col inbetween the two monros.I followed the footpath up a narrowing ridge which half way up is level for 200 mts
DSC_0079.jpg
the flat section on the ascent to the summit of sgorr dhonuill, with sgorr dhearg prominant in the back ground andthe dark looming hulk of bidean nam bian in the far right background
then it angles up again to get you to sgorr dhonuill summit with a small plaque on the cairn to a local fisherman and some fine views to be had, the wind had dropped and the clouds had lifted and broken up, so it was dinner time at 3000 feet and a few piccys from the summit
DSC_0081.jpg
looking south west down loch linnhe to the firth of lorne and Oban
I then returned to the col and followed a broken fence line down to the forest where you pick up a well marked path to get you back to the car park by the golf course or do as I had to, and work your way round the forrest roads to where you started from, but i had the long march back to the SYHA. No kindly munro baggers on the way back to give me a lift but the little supermarket in glen coe sold me a couple of beers to have with my DIY tea :D
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

d gwynn
Munro compleatist

Munros:33   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:114
Wainwrights:200   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland