walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

One hill, one boot, one more to go....

One hill, one boot, one more to go....

Postby jmarkb » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:01 pm

Route description: Buidhe Bheinn, from Kinloch Hourn

Corbetts included on this walk: Buidhe Bheinn

Date walked: 29/09/2013

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 1000m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

And so for our second last Corbett, the is-it-or-isnt-it Buidhe Bheinn. Thanks to this detailed survey it definitely is a Corbett, a whopping 29cm higher than its former twin Sgurr a' Bhac Chaolais, which we had done years ago together with the Munros on either side. It hadn't been a conscious decision to leave Buidhe Bheinn in the hope of getting an armchair tick: we just somehow never got around to it earlier. I'm actually glad the decision went in its favour: it's the better and more separate feeling of the two hills.

The drive out to Kinloch Hourn seems to take forever, the road getting steeper, narrower and twistier all the time, but on a nice day there's so much to admire even before you step out of the car. We called in at the farm to pay the 50p parking fee, and then I discovered I only had one boot: the other was still in the cupboard at home. :oops:
Fortunately I had a pair of trainers with me, so no harm done, phew!

We went back along the road to cross the bridge, through the grounds of the big house (nice polite notices, well done to the estate!), and up a steep track through the woods. With all the rhodies and eucalyptus trees, you could be forgiven for thinking you weren't really in Scotland! Once out of the woods, the track reaches a high point at a little col: here you turn off right onto an excellent grassy stalkers path, where a stunning view of Ladhar Bheinn and Loch Hourn opens out. We followed the path up to about 550m, and then headed out onto the SW ridge.

Just below the west top we met a guy heading down: he confessed to having "compleated" the Corbetts without doing Buidhe Bheinn, and had come to remedy his omission! The ridge between the two tops is quite rocky, with one or two easy scrambly moves if you stick to the crest. I'm not quite sure how the east top went unrecognised as the true summit for so long - looking back at the west top shows it clearly over-topped by the lower Stob a' Chearcaill.

We stopped for a longish lunch to admire the superb views. To vary the descent we went back to the west top and down the south ridge to the first level section, and then turned SW to pick up another stalkers path. This is a bit faint and overgrown and could be easily missed in poor visibility, but no such problems for us! It leads back across the hillside to the small col, and a return along the outward route. It might have been nice to do a longer round, but the prospect of the long drive home to Edinburgh meant it wasn't really on. Never mind: it was a wee gem of a hill on a beautiful day: sometimes quality is better than quantity!

New_Route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Heading up the stalkers' path

Ladhar Bheinn and Loch Hourn

Beinn Sgritheall

Ben Nevis

Looking from the W top to the E top

Looking back at the W top

Sgurr a' Mhaoraich

Gleouraich

Sgurr na Ciche

Sgurr Mor etc.

Leaving the summit

Erosion patterns on Sgurr a' Mhaoraich

Ladhar Bheinn and Loch Hourn

Black Cuillin
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Re: One hill, one boot, one more to go....

Postby Silverhill » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:42 pm

Funny that you too should have a boot incident :lol:
Stunning pictures, you've convinced me that should start on the Corbetts too. A nice project for after the munros. What will you be doing though after compleating the Corbetts? :wink: Hope you have a good day for the last one! Cheers.
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:31
Fionas:8   Donalds:42+13
Sub 2000:29   

Postby jmarkb » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:25 am

Silverhill wrote:Funny that you too should have a boot incident :lol:
Stunning pictures, you've convinced me that should start on the Corbetts too. A nice project for after the munros. What will you be doing though after compleating the Corbetts? :wink: Hope you have a good day for the last one! Cheers.

Thanks!

Ha, yes, you and I both need to be more careful about the whereabouts of our footwear!!

I'd definitely recommend the Corbetts to you (and anyone else), lots of great hills, and useful for shorter days, or when the cloud is on the higher tops, or when you just want to get away from the crowds. It'll be next year sometime before we do the last one: friends and family are expecting a proper party like we had for the Munros!

We haven't been terribly obsessive about Corbett bagging - it's taken us about 5 years to get through the last 30 or 40 - so we'll just keep going out and enjoying hills of all heights! I think the next bagging target will likely be a second Munro round as we're already well on the way towards that.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Postby malky_c » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:40 am

This is a great spot :) . I particularly like that ridge between the main and W summit.

It looks a much better route from Kinloch Hourn (although a full horseshoe round to Sgurr na Sgine would be the jackpot). I walked over from Glen Shiel as it was more convenient - it was only by not paying much attention to the map that I ended up on the W summit as well. Glad I did.

I see you've saved yourself a nice easy one to finish :wink:
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:325   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:41

Postby Sgurr » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:30 pm

Did the guy coming down really NEED Buidhe Beinn. I must admit, I did it the day after I "completed" on Sgurr Innse on the belt and braces principle, before it had been resurveyed, but as with the Munros, surely it is the hills currently on the list as of your date of compleation that counts? Isn't it? Or maybe it is different with Corbetts, since there is an objective definition, unlike Munros.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby jmarkb » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:51 pm

Sgurr wrote:Did the guy coming down really NEED Buidhe Beinn. I must admit, I did it the day after I "completed" on Sgurr Innse on the belt and braces principle, before it had been resurveyed, but as with the Munros, surely it is the hills currently on the list as of your date of compleation that counts? Isn't it? Or maybe it is different with Corbetts, since there is an objective definition, unlike Munros.

I'm not sure: I don't know whether he actually completed after the resurvey was announced last year or not. I guess to some extent it's down to your own personal preference to decide what to do about twin summits. It's possible to reduce it to absurdity if you insist on visiting every single tiny lump or boulder on very flat-topped hills!

malky_c wrote:I see you've saved yourself a nice easy one to finish

Yes, needed to be a reasonably child and non-serious-hillwalker friendly one, though I'm a bit concerned about the limited parking if there ends up being a big crowd of us......
jmarkb
Mountaineer

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland