walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Souther Fell,Bannerdale Crags and Bowscale Fell

Souther Fell,Bannerdale Crags and Bowscale Fell

Postby PauloUK77 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:54 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Bannerdale Crags, Bowscale Fell, Souther Fell

Hewitts included on this walk: Bannerdale Crags, Bowscale Fell

Date walked: 25/02/2010

Time taken: 4

Distance: 10 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

On the 25th Feb i headed to the Lake District to bag some peaks in the Northern Fells.I started the walk at Mungrisdale heading over Souther Fell cutting back to head over Bannerdale Crags and Bowscale Fell.
The weather wasn't good at all closing in just as i reached the top of Bowscale Fell.This cut visability down to just a few metres which was a little disappoionting as i was hoping to catch a view of Bowscale Tarn heading back to Mungrisdale.
Overall i had an enjoyable outing and can't wait to tackle Blencathra via Sharp Edge next time i'm in the area.
[attachment=NaN]lode_20100117.gpx[/attachment]
Souther Fell summit.JPG
Bannerdale Crags from Souther Fell summit

Blencathra.JPG
Blencathra under cloud cover,Sharp Edge centre of pic.

Cairn on Souther Fell.JPG
Cairn on Souther Fell

Cornice on the edge of Bannerdale Crags.JPG
Cornice on the edge of Bannerdale Crags

Summit of Bannerdale Crags.JPG
Summit of Bannerdale Crags with Bowscale Fell behind.

Souther Fell2.JPG
Souther Fell

Summit of Bowscale Fell.JPG
Our Route

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Attachments
Bannerdale Crags.JPG
Bannerdale Crags from Souther Fell
Last edited by PauloUK77 on Thu May 27, 2010 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PauloUK77
Mountain Walker

Munros:2   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:28   

Re: Souther Fell,Bannerdale Crags and Bowscale Fell

Postby susanmyatt » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:38 pm

Thanks for the report Paulo, hope to be doing these in june when we stop at Threlkeld, hope there's no snow then :lol:
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Postby Glenrothes » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:03 pm

Good report there Paulo, and as you say shame about the cloud levels.

Does anyone know what the snow conditions are like on Sharp Edge at the moment??

Below was Striding Edge yesterday
Attachments
Picture 009.jpg
Picture 006.jpg
Glenrothes

Postby mountain coward » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:54 pm

Bowscale to Souther is one of my fave rounds (I include Scales Fell/Blencathra if I feel inclined depending on the weather but am quite happy with the round excluding that). Thanks for that. Quite a bit of snow on them isn't there? I like Bowscale Tarn - very dark and mysterious... don't think I have any pics of that either...
mountain coward

Postby 37lumleyst » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:17 pm

From one Paul to another; great report and some very good pictures despite the low cloud. Like Mountain coward, I like this area of Lakeland, and find it much less busy than the straight hack up blencathra that at times can seem like a continual string of walkers from bottom to top and back again!!

The pictures posted by Glenrothes of striding edge are very good and crips pics of another very busy and popular Lakeland Route.
37lumleyst

Munros:6   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:49
Wainwrights:56   

Postby Glenrothes » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:21 pm

37lumleyst wrote:The pictures posted by Glenrothes of striding edge are very good and crips pics of another very busy and popular Lakeland Route.

It isn't that busy at the moment and those that are traversing the edges seem, in the main, to be competent walkers/climbers and not the usual procession of day trippers usually found on this route.......... :wink:
Glenrothes

Postby PauloUK77 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:34 pm

I didn't bump into another person for the entire walk it was kind of spooky,especially when i heard an avalanche on one of Blencathra's steep slopes.
PauloUK77
Mountain Walker

Munros:2   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:28   

Postby mountain coward » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:28 am

I tend not to think about avalanches too often in the Lakes but that proves we have to be on our guard in England too doesn't it! I know they do have them though...
mountain coward

Postby Glenrothes » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:17 am

mountain coward wrote:I tend not to think about avalanches too often in the Lakes .

I think about them often because of the environment in which I walk. This last year in the Lakes has been especially bad and one where we have to be aware and show consideration to such natural events
Glenrothes

Postby mountain coward » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:28 am

Yeah I know but due to past habit of not having to think about them much, I'm having trouble remembering to remember them :D
mountain coward

Postby Glenrothes » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:39 pm

Och, you haven't lived MC - get some decent snow under your boots, you'll love it :lol:
Glenrothes

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland