walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Spartleton Hill

Spartleton Hill

Postby dickens96 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:37 pm

Route description: Gamelshiel Castle and Spartleton Hill

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Spartleton

Date walked: 05/10/2013

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 7 km

Ascent: 468m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Being contrary I decided to do the route in reverse from how it is described here. Started from just South of Johnscleugh, where the Herring Road meets the B6355. Lots of parking there. I followed the Herring Road up the hill - its recently been remade using rubble and this makes for not an easy walk - its a bit like walking up scree on the initial steep section.

P1010945.jpg
The Herring Road

P1010946.jpg

After a while it reverts back to a grassy track which makes for easy walking - the path to the top of Spartleton veers off to the right through a gate and its a straightforward walk to the cairn and trig point along a track that changes back into a rubble road just before the top. The views from the top are tremendous - 360-degree and today I could see as far as Holy Island to the South, Dumyat to the West and the Sidlaw Hills and beyond to the North, whilst not forgetting the Forth, Bass Rock and the Isle of May. Plus of course lots of wind turbines!

P1010947.jpg

P1010950.jpg

I headed South West from the summit, following the rubble track. Soon this started to run off towards the South East, and I could see that I needed to get down towards Gamelshiel Castle for the return.

P1010951.jpg

P1010952.jpg

However I could not find the path described here so I cut straight down through the heather to the fence-line that is supposed to mark the track (but I still could'nt see it!) However I did find Gamelshiel Castle and the path from there back down the valley is very clear.

P1010954.jpg

P1010955.jpg

Once down in the valley I turned North and headed back following the river on an easy if muddy track back to the car.

P1010956.jpg

A good walk - apart from the rubble road. Did not see a soul all day. I was glad of my new Scarpa boots and my poles - oh and needed my fleecy hat on the top of the hill it was quite autumnal in the stiff breeze. The Lammermuir Hills are superb in this weather - quiet and a really peaceful place.
dickens96
Walker

Munros:2   Corbetts:2
Fionas:4   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:15   
Islands:5

Re: Spartleton Hill

Postby laconic surf » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:19 pm

My local hill :wink: I usually do this circuit at least once a month if not more.
The rubble path is definitely a bit of a pain - hopefully it will start to settle soon. It's worth wandering down to the rig windfarm, if you walk to the back of it you get a great view out to the Bass Rock. The path is definitely there but as it's usually just me and few others who walk this route regularly it can be indistinct if you don't know where to look for it. Lammermuirs are great for peace and solitude aren't they? :D
Cheers for posting
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

Re: Spartleton Hill

Postby dickens96 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:01 pm

Yes - second walk I've had here in the last few weeks. Just love the area - not far from home either. I've got a few more walks to do in the Lammermuirs over the next months.
dickens96
Walker

Munros:2   Corbetts:2
Fionas:4   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:15   
Islands:5

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland