walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Corwharn

Corwharn

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:44 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Corwharn

Date walked: 05/10/2013

Time taken: 3.8 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 546m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Friday weather was pretty rubbish, Sunday sounds the same so today was a must to get out into the hills. I'm running out of Angus hills to climb but Corwharn was still on the list so decision taken and no need for an early start as this is a local hill just 30 minutes drive away.

I was parked up by the bins at Westerton where the ROW track to Glen Uig starts (or finishes!) and walking by 9.45.

1.jpg
Oops, sun behind me, never noticed the shadow

It's a nice easy start on the ROW, most of the first couple of miles is tarmac albeit with some deep holes in places.

2.jpg
Glen Quharity

I didn't want to do a straight up and down walk so when the road passed the end of the fenced forest to my left I went through an open gate in to a field and headed straight up the hill tight to the deer fence enclosing the woods. When I reached the top of the woods I was close to the Craig of Balloch but I was heading for the South side so headed down the field a bit to cross over to the North side and start the climb.

21.jpg
Leaving the ROW

3.jpg
Craig of Balloch

4.jpg
The North slope

This was the hardest climb of the day. Fairly steep but good underfoot so after a couple of stops for "picture opportunities" I was up on to Milldewan Hill.

5.jpg
Looking into Craig of Balloch

6.jpg
Looking down to Glen Quharity

Once the steep bit was over I continued to climb on a much easier gradient when a fence line came in to view so just headed for it.

7.jpg
First view of Backwater reservoir

9.jpg
Heading for the 503m point on Milldewan Hill

8.jpg
What I thought was Corwharn - It's actually Cairn Corse

A decent track ran parallel with the fence line as I now started to head directly towards Corwharn.

10.jpg
Looking back to Backwater with Macritch & Creigh hills

11.jpg
Corwharn tucked behind Cairn Corse

13.jpg
Looking over to Mount Blair (zoomed)

Underfoot conditions were good and whilst Corwharn looked a long way away it didn't take that long to cover the distance.

14.jpg
Looking back as I head towards Cairn Corse

15.jpg
Being watched!

16.jpg
Cairn on Corwharn (not the summit) looking towards Cat Law

17.jpg
Looking towards Glen Prossen

I only had around 5 minutes at the top as the rain was on and I decided just to head off back towards Cairn Corse to find the track down into Glen Quharity and the ROW. I walked past the track I was after but used the GPS to back track and once I spotted the shooting butts the route was obvious.

18.jpg
Heading down past the shooting butts

19.jpg
Looking back up to Corwharn from the ROW

Once back on the ROW it was a straight forward walk back along a grassy track before reaching Longdrum where it was tarmac all the way back to the car.

It took exactly two hours to reach Corwharn along the tops and an hour 45 mins to get back to the car from the top of Corwharn. Not the most exciting hill in the world but a nice way to spend 4 hours and with Saints humping Inverness, all in all, a great day :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland