walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Cleuch bigger circular

Ben Cleuch bigger circular

Postby U059361 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:15 pm

Route description: Ben Cleuch circular

Fionas included on this walk: Ben Cleuch

Donalds included on this walk: Ben Cleuch

Date walked: 06/10/2013

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 12.7 km

Ascent: 835m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Paul and Helen picked me up in their van at 9:00am. Started the walk in car park just outside Alva. The path is shown on a map at the car park. Headed west and climbed up the hill side to reach a gate and through it onto a good track. This took us up to another gate and a path heading up the slopes of Ben Keen. A third of the way up this path we went into cloud and stayed there till we dropped down the Gannell Burn on the other side of Ben Cleuch. The path is fairly clear and it would be hard to get lost here unless you took a wrong turning. I did get map and compass out just to be sure though.
CleuchTop.jpg
Ben Cleuch top

Windy and cold on Cleuch, but isn't it always. We had our lunch in the lee of the dyke around the trig point. Just cleared away a bit a few times but never threatened to go away. Indeed, going down the Gannell Burn as we dropped below the cloud it started to drizzle. Thankfully it stopped by the time we got to Tillicoultry. Walked over to the old quarry then along the road till a sign for Alva and followed that track back to car park.
It was a good stretch of the legs and I had my new boots on and they performed really well, only a slight rubbing on one wee toe. Dry snug feet, unlike yesterday, same view though.
U059361
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:38
Fionas:20   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:5
Islands:32

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland