walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Morven, and the shooting party!

Morven, and the shooting party!

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:57 pm

Route description: Morven, from near Logie Coldstone

Corbetts included on this walk: Morven

Date walked: 05/10/2013

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 7.89 km

Ascent: 666m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My first venture in earnest to the Aberdeenshire hills, and I was hoping to pick up at least a couple of hills after travelling from Carnoustie and then heading off to the campsite at Aboyne. After leaving the A97 before reaching Logie Coldstone and heading West towards Bridgefoot and finally parking at the end of the road to Groddie farm. Starting off at 1030hrs and heading off in the direction of the ruin house at Balhennie
1.JPG
Parking area at end of the road to Groddie farm
2.JPG
Walk along in the field to the South of the ruin farmhouse at Balhennie and head further West across another field area and cross a gate to the open hillside where you soon find signs of a path which becomes clearer as you go further up the hill. The path goes around to the South but climbs gradually and turns North before you come to the distinct gully before Bad na Beinne
3.JPG
Looking back towards the parking area and ruined farmhouse
4.JPG
Another photograph looking back further up the hill, by this time the path has come towards a track where there are shooting points on the West side. This track takes you up the broad East shoulder of Morven, I decided to cut the corner and just head in a more direct line towards the summit
5.JPG
Track leading to the summit, it was on this track when I looked back for another view East when I saw what appeared to be something flashing on the track I had crossed over a while earlier, Oh no, the shooting party had arrived, quick thinking required, I was not far from the summit, head on up and take another route back, lets get on with it
6.JPG
Once over the first brow I knew that I was ok as the summit area is boulder strewn with no heather. I was kicking myself I had forgotten to get the ok from the estate before heading off, but what with lots of things on my mind I had completely forgotten
7.JPG
View of trig point from the summit cairn. I checked out the cairn and shelter both inside and out for the summit log book which I was led to believe was hidden in the stones, but could find nothing
8.JPG
Old fence post at the summit, maybe a boundary fence?
9.JPG
I came down on the North side of the East shoulder keeping an eye open for the shooting party, by this time they had started to spread out a bit within the area I had climbed up, so keeping well clear I came through the deep heather slopes and was nearly at the trees at the back of the ruin when I first heard the sounds of guns going off
10.JPG
Something I missed in the walk in was this stone press at the side of the farmhouse, any ideas what this was used for anyone?

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Morven, and the shooting party!

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:49 pm

There will be a number of grouse that should be grateful to you for scaring them off and keeping them alive (maybe only for a few minutes or a few days.........)!!
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby Graeme D » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:55 pm

Nice one Rod. This is one I've looked closely at a few times (along with Mona Gowan to the west) but never made it yet.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby basscadet » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:52 pm

och looked like a braw day :) Wish I had done such a sensible route when I did it.. You made Morven look ike quite a nice walk... :lol:
As for the stone press - I think they were used in the making of cheese, squeezing your whey out of your curds I would guess.. :wink:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby AbbsFooty » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:17 am

I'm glad you got out of that shooting party! Looked like a nice walk :D ! Thanks for sharing it :) :lol:
AbbsFooty
Mountaineer

Munros:3   
Fionas:1   

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:38 am

RTC wrote:I went up Morven on Monday from Milton of Tulloch to the south. This saved a bit of driving from Stirling but was a longer walk. - Took me about four and a half hours. From about 500m it was pathless and rough going. I wouldn't recommend this way. Your way looked much better.

Hi Russell, I was on a mission for couple of days! I wanted to make inroads to some Aberdeenshire hills as I had not done any before, what an admission! Yes it can be tough going in deep heather, I met some deep stuff at the back of the ruin cottage coming down of the hill, but better that than get involved with the shooting party :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland