walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cruach Ardrain

Cruach Ardrain

Postby Les Stuart » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:27 pm

Munros included on this walk: Cruach Àrdrain

Date walked: 03/03/2010

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I set off on Tuesday morning to the car park just south of Crianlarich to walk up Cruach Adrain in what turned out to be a glorious day in sunshine. It had been many years since I last walked up Cruach Adrain and was looking forward to the challange in winter conditions.I arrived about 9.30am and got myself organised and left the car about 9.45am over the stile and into what is normally a muddy field, though with the hard snow it was an easy walk to the arch under the railway line then heading to cross the bridge over the River Falloch.
P1010038.JPG
View of Grey Height & Meall Dhamh from car park

Crossing the bridge I took photos of the River with the snow right down to the low ground.
P1010040.JPG
River Falloch

Then set off along the track to the edge of the forest on my right hand side and had the company of sheep leading the way.
P1010042.JPG
The sheep

On reaching the end of the forest I turned left to get to Grey Height before heading to Meall Dhamn. It was a hard slog walking up the slope as the snow was knee deep and occasionally up to my thighs. I managed to eventually pick up a trail that somebody had made and this helped a bit.
02032010_001.jpg
Foot steps

Once onto the ridge at Grey Height the ground became less steep and headed off to Meall Damn over icy snow and ice slabs. I stopped at Meall Damn for a bite to eat and decided to put the crampons on as the icy slabs were becoming larger and the snow harder. The legs were feeling tired with the heavy going and then there was a 50 metre drop down before the steep pull to the summit ridge. At this point I had a good view of the last section.
P1010045.JPG
Cruich Adrain

It was a hard pull to the summit as it was steeper then what I remembered and in the sunsine with no wind or breeze it was hot work.
P1010047.JPG
The Summit

The views from the summit were stunning and in every direction all you could see was white tops.
P1010046.JPG
An Caisteal

P1010048.JPG
Ben More & Stob Binnien

P1010051.JPG
Looking North

I then set off the same route that I went up though went too far along the ridge of Grey Height missing the tracks that I had made on the way up and ending in some deep snow before getting into tracks half way down the slope.
P1010055.JPG
Windblown snow

It had been a great day in winter conditons though sunny and windless, all you could here at times was the crunch of the snow from the crampons.
Les Stuart

Munros:226   Corbetts:6

Re: Cruach Ardrain

Postby walker1 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:12 pm

Hi Les

I was there on Sat, sadly I didn't get the views you got at the summit and it was windy. :( Anyway nice pics! :)
walker1

Munros:110   Corbetts:10
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:28

Postby skuk007 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:55 pm

Nice report and pics - hoping to do this one at the beginning of April, and hoping tht snow is gone. :eh:
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby mountain coward » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:28 pm

Nice pics - love the meringue one at the end! :D

LOL to the line of sheep pic near the start - looks like the 'Munros bagged' map on here but grey instead of red or green :lol:
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland