walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn Bhac & failed Waterproof Boots

Carn Bhac & failed Waterproof Boots

Postby bar72 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:10 am

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Bhac

Date walked: 10/10/2013

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 1118m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Drove up to Braemar then along to Inverey, first light yesterday in an attempt to bag all 5 Glen Ey Munro's. Took my mountain bike as it's a 5 mile or so cycle down the glen to the Altanour Lodge ruin which is where i planned on leaving my bike. Getting down there was no problem as the wind & rain (met office stated snow showers until 10.00am) was at the back of me and was virtually being blown down the glen on my bike.

Parked the car at Inverey opposite a row of houses, to your right, a memorial on the left and an area for several cars with some recycling bins (i missed this on way in and had to turn back to the car park). You'll see a track heading south up past a house, followed this and headed through the gate.

IMAG0155.jpg
looking south at 1st light as you pass through 1st gate

IMAG0156.jpg
heading south down the glen

Cycled down a bit and came to a bridge with a gate which you have to go through before continuing down the glen.

IMAG0157.jpg
trusty bike

Continuing down the track, visibility was good but it was bitterly cold with a strong tailwind coming from the North. On the plus side, this aided the amount of effort in getting down the very wet & muddy track.

IMAG0158.jpg
the track is easy to follow

IMAG0159.jpg
daylight

Eventually after around 5 miles i arrived at the old ruin of Altanour Lodge where i left the bike and continued on foot.

IMAG0160.jpg
Altanour Lodge

Came along a couple of obstacles on way due to the heavy snow showers during the previous 48hrs but maged to cross over without problem.

IMAG0163.jpg
made it over without getting wet

Eventually the track ends and your left with quite a walk over grass / heather, eventually reaching the bealach between Carn Creagach and Carn Bhac. Iit was quite a slog as my boots were starting to take in water at quite a rate and my feet were getting cold. Not good for the start of a 5 munro circuit.

IMAG0165.jpg
wet & getting cold feet, literally

Heading NW, i kept the spirits up and headed up towards the summit of Carn Bhac which is where the weather was starting to get rather sleet / snowy with winds / gusts reduce visibility quite considerably. As i had no goggles, it was head down and press onwards and upwards )

IMAG0166.jpg
blowing a gale near the summit of Carn Bhac now

Finally made the summit and by this time i couldn't feel my feet so decided to abandon the other 4 summits and head back down the same way as i ascended.

IMAG0167.jpg
summit

Eventually, at around 13:00, the weather started to cheers up a bit but the wind didn't. As i got my bike at the lodge i had a 5 mile cycle back up the glen into a very strong head wind from the North which made for a very exhausting cycle back to the car.

IMAG0170.jpg
back at the lodge (ruin)

it's worth noting that while i had gaitors over my waterproofs, the waterproofs were over the top of my boots and elasticated so i'm sure it wasn't water running down them and into my boots as i was taking in water just above the soles at the side bits where Berghaus claim they are waterproof & breathable. It was rain / hail for the cycle ride in and i only started to get wet feet when i left the bike and started ascending the boggy heather clad ground. This is the 2nd time these boots have failed me so they're going back to the shop as i only bought them in June 2013 and have mostly done walking on dry conditions. Gutted i had to give up after 1 summit but wet feet is probably the most uncomfortable thing i've experienced on the mountains, still bagged another summit to. Anyway, i'll be tackling this circuit again as soon as i get decent reliable boots :( :wink:
Attachments

Carn_Bhac.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

bar72
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:189
Fionas:71   Donalds:67+40
Sub 2000:73   
Islands:14

Re: Carn Bhac & failed Waterproof Boots

Postby LeithySuburbs » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:23 pm

That report gave me shivers just reading it :roll: . Hope you get your boots sorted :)
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby basscadet » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:03 pm

Och I know how you feel.. After about 150 munro's I think my boots are pooped.. Had the coldest feet ever last weekend :( Still a nice looking outing though :) I remember a few years ago I camped at the ruined lodge, and was befriended by a sheep who had a love of dried apricots.. Was a fine friendship until she plonked herself in the tent porch first thing in the morning :lol: She followed me half way back to braemar as well...
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby litljortindan » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:44 pm

A wise retreat but good going to get to your first hill. I guess that's the end of the balmy weather.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Backpacker » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:32 pm

Hi Bar 72,

Shame you never managed them all, what route were you going to take for the rest of them?
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby bar72 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:48 pm

LeithySuburbs, yes! waiting on return label for the Berghaus, Milletsport online were understanding and am waiting on return label so they can investigate as i said i was very disappointed that i couldn't do the full circuit.

Went out and purchased a pair of karrimor leather boots with vibram soles which state they're waterproof. reduced from £120 to £70

IMAG0177.jpg
karrimor's

litljortindan, got new boots so i shall continue :clap:

Backpacker, was going to do Carn Bhac, Beinn Iutharn Mhor, Carn an Righ, Glas Tulaichean and finish up at An Socach then back down to the lodge for my bike. Always another day!!! Never another set of feet once you get frostbite or gangrene.
bar72
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:189
Fionas:71   Donalds:67+40
Sub 2000:73   
Islands:14

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland