walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Coire Mhic Fhearchair

Coire Mhic Fhearchair

Postby OpenC » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:25 am

Route description: Triple Buttress of Coire Mhic Fhearchair

Date walked: 12/10/2013

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 14 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

First report, revisiting a walk that I'd always promised myself that I'd do again on a nice day. I woke up in Aviemore to find the Cairngorms covered in thick fog other than the very tops, and having seen promise of sunshine on the West coast, I thought I'd use the opportunity to have another look over to Torridon, my favourite place on planet Earth.

Beinn Eighe from Kinlochewe

Beinn Eighe looked inviting from Kinlochewe, and my motivation for the high tops had gone, so I determined that this would be the day I'd see Coire Mhic Fhearchair in good conditions. Getting out of the car at the Ling Hut, it felt bitterly cold (at least, after the summer we've had) - I'd forgotten the sensation of having to put a coat on as soon as you're out of the car. The gentle incline up to Coire Dubh Mor improved matters, though, and as the sun came out the classic winter combination of hot sun + cold wind started to make things feel very pleasant indeed.

Back toward Sgurr Dubh

Beinn Eighe

Liathach East End

Fossil Sea Monster

Further round the back of Liathach, the views of the back of the mountain started to open up. I haven't seen this side of Liathach properly for a long time, and I'd forgotten how striking it looks. I'd also forgotten that, being North facing, it's virtually impossible to get a decent picture of as you're always shooting into the sun. Still, I had a go.

Liathach

Ridge Detail

At the cairn that marks the path around Sail Mhor (which is always much, much further away than I expect it to be), the sheltering effect of Beinn Eighe suddenly cut the wind almost completely and it started to feel very warm indeed. I also started to notice the bellowing of the stags, something I've never heard before and an amazing sound. I didn't see any, but it sounded like there must have been six or seven million of them just out of sight.

The path around Sail Mhor is one of my favourite places in the area - always quiet, fairly well flat and with amazing views of the emptiness over toward Flowerdale.

Flowerdale

The waterfalls on the way up to the coire were as delightful as ever, and getting up to the loch was amazing. No wind - just the quiet sound of water, the croaking of the ravens and the occasional bellow of the stags. I don't know anywhere quite like Coire Mhic Fhearchair; all the superlatives that are written about it are entirely justified. Like a natural cathedral, the place has an atmosphere all its own and when you're the only person there, as I was, it feels very special indeed. It's one of the few places that I've ever been that I genuinely believe cannot be done justice through pictures (not least because it also is North facing and the sun is always trying to ruin things for you).

Triple Buttress

Sail Mhor

I toyed with the idea of heading up the scree run to the munros, but the combination of wind, dusting of snow and contentment with what I'd already done set me straight back down the way I'd come up. One more shot of Liathach on the way back; I'd been hoping the sun would have magically moved to the other hemisphere as I was waiting under the buttresses, but alas it was still hanging around behind the mountain and making a nuisance of itself.

Liathach, again

Back into the wind at the bealach between Liathach and Beinn Eighe, I was convinced that I'd done the right thing in staying low and the trip back down was incident free. Unfortunately, the trip back to Northumberland was not so smooth - A9 closed south of Inverness (no sign until the bridge into Inverness or I'd have gone down the West coast) and then A82 closed at Glencoe (no sign until after I was already on the A82). I wondered to myself about how worthwhile it was to drive 600 miles and not add to my list of munros, but any day spent in the sunshine in Torridon isn't a wasted one.. a fraught and convoluted drive back home is a fairly small price to pay (and cheery Scott at Kinross services always brightens my day).
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by OpenC on Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
OpenC
Munro compleatist

Munros:93   
Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:86
Wainwrights:132   

Re: Coire Mhic Fhearchair

Postby OpenC » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:14 pm

One more of the Triple Buttress, after much work in Lightroom..

OpenC
Munro compleatist

Postby pigeon » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:51 pm

You're could be right OpenC,pictures never do this area justice but you've took some crackers there :thumbup: Was up there recently in similar conditions(though not as cold by the looks of it)and only had my rubbish mobile phone camera so good to see these pics.A good excuse to go back now and do the Munro's :wink:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:132
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby spiderwebb » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:17 pm

The pics are still good, one of my fav places, and its not always about ticking off the Munros, the most important thing is to enjoy the day, and with the weather like this, who couldn't.
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby OpenC » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:41 pm

Aye, my desire to get up all the munros is only a very faint one, and it pales in comparison to my desire to just get out there and have a good day :) Although it'd have been an additional tick, I don't suppose that my original plan of Sgor Gaoith would have been so enjoyable in thick clag.

Thanks chaps
OpenC
Munro compleatist

Postby Border Reiver » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:59 pm

Thanks. It's great to see fresh photos of one of my favourite places. I've been there 5 times already and spent a couple of hours one day just wandering around the foot of the triple buttresses looking at the aircraft wreckage. :D
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:38 am

My fav mountain, my fav corrie, there are no bad photos of Coire Mhic Fhearchair!
This was my very first walk in Scottish mountains and it was enough to infect me with the infamous Munro bug. Six years and over 100 M's later it is still just as enjoyable.
One year in late March, we climbed up to CMF and we didn't really plan going any higher, but the mountain looked so tempting that we ended up walking a large chunk of the ridge :lol: :lol:

And the fossil sea monster can be dangerous :wink:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland