walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Loch Fyne Mussels & Beer

Loch Fyne Mussels & Beer

Postby Gordon Ballantyne » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:23 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Bhuidhe

Date walked: 11/10/2013

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 939m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Drove over from Aberdeen on Wed evening and after a Scampi supper at Arrochar, a shuftie around the Oyster bar at Clachan, and a recc up through the gravel quarry and down by the Fyne Ales brewery on my bike, I dossed down in the car park hidden in the trees, with the wonky height limiter (watch out if you have bikes on the roof rack ! ) - in the back of the car.
Next morning it was across the old bridge and up by the brewery on the tarmac road to the gate with the notice advising us to leave our bikes and walk up to Inverchorachan, which seemed a reasonable request, as they'd provided a substantial bit of ironmongery to padlock the bike to.
Walking up to Inverchorachan was quite pleasant and passing the bothy, through the gate beyond, I mounted the wooden fence at the right side where it had been reinforced, to get to the start of the path up the S side of the burn alongside the fence initially.
As it was still fairly early, I took the opportunity for some pics, with the rising sun casting great shadows all around.
A fair trudge up onto the ridge, with rutting stags bellowing all around and the hinds grazing quietly, apparently unimpresed by all the noise ! Cracking views all around at Cruachan, Lui, Falloch hills & Ben Lomond.
Lui range  from Beinn Bhuidhe summit.jpg
The Ben Lui range from the summit of Beinn Bhuidhe

Great, until I spotted an eyesore of wind turbines down on the Clachan hill area - explaining the massive road excavations just above the gravel pits I'd seen the night before down in the glen ! At this point I discovered I'd dropped my camera somewhere on the way up, so had to revert to my backup on the phone. Luckily, found the camera on the way down, so chuffed about that. ( wearing breeks wi nae zips on the pockets )
Stopped at the Brewery shop for a pint of their best on the way back down the glen , then packed up for the trip up to Tyndrum, for the next day's excursion. Cracking day - sunny - no cloud - light easterly breeze - nectarplasm !
Gordon Ballantyne
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:89
Grahams:20   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:59   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland