walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

9 Standard Rigg

9 Standard Rigg

Postby MunroMad » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:16 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Nine Standards Rigg

Date walked: 02/03/2010

Time taken: 5

Distance: 18 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A beautiful day in the Dales. I bunked off work to go walking as the weather was so fine. There is something so natural and great about a man venturing into the wilderness, at one with nature, rather than working the grind out in an office, surrounded by people in suits with places to go, walking with such purpose...I wonder if they ever think why for.

On a less Philosophical note, the journey brought me into Kirkby Stephen station at 1040 and I started my walk knowing I had to be back at 1554 for the train home or risk waiting around for around 2 hours. The walk was great. I walked in the direction of Wharton Hall and down to the river, over the bridge and into Nateby. Note, this is already around 80m descent from 280m at the station to 200m in Nateby. The climb up was on the B road heading up and over the pass toward the eastern dales. The walk to Ladywaite was tiring, it involved going up hill to around 380 m before dropping back down to 80 m again. A route via Lockewaite might have been easier! The slow and steady slopes of Nine Standard Rigg and Hartley fell were nice, it gives the walker something to look at, the view behind extended to Old Man Coniston, Skiddaw, Howgill Fells and up towards the Northern Pennines, Cross Fell. That region was subject to aerial bombardment for most the day might add, a disturbance of the peace that threw the walker off a bit, and that was before being overtaken several times by a dirt biker that also made use of the glorious and warm weather.

On the approach to the summit, the 9 massive cairns stood majestically at the top of the glistening white slopes, as if to welcome you to the summit. The view behind was stunning and breathtaking. There are 9 Cairns at the top, but this is not the true summit. There is a viewpoint cairn 500m along the ridge and then the real summit at 662m another 500m along at the trig point.

Descent was via the same way. After running in Scarpa Manta boots uphill to the station (not in any way advised) I managed to jump on the train just as the last door was closing at 1553 and 58 seconds. Northern Rail had for once been on time!! Oh what a day it was.

Ascent 680 m, Descent 620 m, 3ft of snow at the top, drifts as much as 6 ft in places.
Attachments
CrossFellPAN.jpg
Cross Fell Panorama
IMG_6491.JPG
Howgills
IMG_6498.JPG
The Cairns welcoming you to the summit
IMG_6499.JPG
The 2nd Trig point, viewpoint thing with Wild Boar and Howgill Fells behind
IMG_6502.JPG
Trig point and Lakeland Fells
IMG_6527.JPG
4 of the 9 Summit Cairns
IMG_6533.JPG
Bridge buried under ~6ft of snow
IMG_6545.JPG
IMG_6552.JPG
IMG_6560.JPG
Looking back over towards Cross Fell
IMG_6470.JPG
Howgill Fells
IMG_6466.JPG
The imposing Wild Boar Fell, revealed from under a sea of fog

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

MunroMad
Munro compleatist

Munros:7   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:35   

Re: 9 Standard Rigg

Postby 37lumleyst » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:11 pm

MunroMad wrote:I bunked off work to go walking as the weather was so fine.

Great report MunroMad; not sure I subscribe to bunking off work :? but like you say, great weather for being out on the hills. I love that part of the England, I think you get a real feel for how wild the North of England can be.

I always allow a moment to day-dream about what the Romans must have thought when they came across the North of England too :wtf: it’s a far cry from the Med that’s for sure
37lumleyst

Munros:6   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:49
Wainwrights:56   

Postby gaffr » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:39 pm

Grand looking country for hardy folks to live in...all a bit battered and bruised with some history too....is that part of old man Wainwright's traverse from the west to the East coast?
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby MunroMad » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:59 am

Yes I believe it is stage 6 or 7 of that traverse starting in Kirkby Stephen and finishing in Keld. Although, you do not have to take route of the summit you can go for the lower level route....but where would the fun be in that?

This place is steeped in history, There is Pendragon castle, for example, as being owned by Uther Pendragon himself.
MunroMad
Munro compleatist

Munros:7   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:35   

Postby johnnyaztec » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:03 pm

Looking at your route map you wont have seen this on your walk ,but i did, a plane and grass runway,this was in the region of Hartley cant remember exactly where.

It just looked really bizarre to me to be stuck out there in the middle of The Dales.

IMG_0443.JPG

IMG_0441.JPG
Runway strip
johnnyaztec
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:9
Fionas:6   Donalds:5
Hewitts:237
Wainwrights:214   

Postby kirkbystephenstation » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:55 pm

Next time you do Nine Standards allow some time at the end for a cuppa and homemade bun at our station shop! Open until 1720 every day except Sunday, later for walks parties by arrangement. Also FYI the Council are just starting work on a hard surface path linking the station and Kirkby Stephen town, even now people still miss the field path and take their life in their hands walking on the main road.
kirkbystephenstation
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland