walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stob na Broige

Stob na Broige

Postby Gordon Ballantyne » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:36 pm

Munros included on this walk: Stob na Bròige (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 13/10/2013

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 646m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Drove up to Glencoe from Tyndrum after a salubrious night in the "Bytheway" hostel. A glorious morning with the Buchaille bathed in morning sun, like a great sentinel of the moor (as epitomised on a calendar somewhere every year ). Parked up in the big car park provided by " the cooncil ".

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Headed along the Lairig Gartain path feeling a bit stiff from my Loch Fyne day out, but soon loosened up. Surprised myself by getting to the turnoff for Coire Altruim fairly quickly. Hats off to the folks who made the improvements to the path, which is first class, with no signs of erosion anywhere, and a boon to us wrinklies who need all the help we can get ! Met up with another walker who overtook me where the path meets the ridge and headed up S C Altruim at a fair lick. Caught up with him at the summit, where we marvelled at the scenery and ambiance. We agreed that words are inadequate on days like this - so we soaked in the atmosphere, having paid our dues with lots of mingin days in the Coe on previous visits.
Stob na Broige from S C Alttruim.JPG
Stob na Broige from S C Altruim

Stob Dearg etc with Schiehallion in the background.JPG
The Buchaille ridge from Stob na Broige - with Schiehallion in the background

Loch etive & Trilleachan from S n Broige.JPG
Loch Etive & Trilleachan from S n Broige

A few summit pics then a reasonably quick ( for me ) scoot back to the car. On the way down a couple of ascending guys warned me that the road to the south was blocked due to a fatal accident, where a biker had apparently head-on'd with a car which then caught fire. Tragic !
Fortunately for me I was heading north via Laggan & Tomintoul to get home, with a McDonald stop in the Fort ( no more Hells Kitchen ). Absolutely fantastic day weatherwise. Bit of a change to see so many people on the hill !
Gordon Ballantyne
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:89
Fionas:20   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:59   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland