walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sailbeag,the 5 sisters ,and loads of kin-tails to tell

Sailbeag,the 5 sisters ,and loads of kin-tails to tell

Postby bigal231273 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:05 pm

Munros included on this walk: Sàileag, Sgùrr Fhuaran, Sgùrr na Càrnach, Sgùrr na Ciste Duibhe

Date walked: 12/10/2013

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1576m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

5 months into finding my way onto the munros and how my world has changed,by the end of today's walk I had 42 munros in the bag and about two stone lighter,lol,the journey to kintail was alone breathtaking ,the clearest day I had walked in yet and amazing scenery,myself and my three friends were about to take on the five sisters armed with two cars ,clothes for all weather and much supplies ,wee began just down the a87 from tha culunnie inn,the rise from the car to the first bealach was hard on the lungs but in just over an hour ,wee were there ,from here probably wrongly wee decided to head up and grab sailbeag before taking on the sisters ,now for any doubt I had going up ,was washed away on arrival at the cairn ,in the 5 months I've been out I was not expecting the breathtaking view in every direction I looked ,I actually said I was glad to have witnessed this in my lifetime ,quickly moving on ,wee descended back down our path to say hello to the 5 sisters ,the ridge walk to the first Munro (which felt like ever) itself was again amazing ,to the many dear paying us a flying visit to then seeing my first ever circular rainbow ,again memories of that will live forever,wee eventually reached Munro no 2 (sgurr na ciste duhbe)quick bite to eat and my group was to be halved ,the sisters had proven to much to tackle with a chest infection and tendinitis ,wee said goodbye (all be it gutted )and myself and my friend left for next two munros ,sgurr na Carnach and sgurr na fhuaran were pretty uneventful but hard on my tiring legs ,wee were now on race to get too last sister then back to car ,the descent was very steep and hard on us ,now out of water and getting to bottom I really did feel sick ,the look on My friend Gary's face at bottom will make me laugh for weeks ,now just when I Thot wee were home n dry ,there was a problem wee had realised on the descent ( bad planing I know ) how do wee cross the river (no still no laughing writing this ,I'm dead on my feet at this point )so the waters deep so not at swimming stage yet,so wee ain't got the map ,that left with other friends at cairn 2 ,so gut feeling wee headed in car direction ,only due to shorter walk ,always looking for shallow water it never arrived ,after 20 mins our prayers were answerd,a bridge ,I did have to fight back tears when wee saw it had nearly fallen to bits and was closed( for s second I Thot ,those sisters are laughing in the background )decision made in two seconds were crossing ,I had to go first as I'm the heaviest lol,around 4 meters of nothing to hold onto and creaking missing boards I got to the metal support at top ,now 5 meters of one board in middle and swinging like a 10 year old on the monkey bars when I was a kid ,I made it ,quick dive up last few boards and I was so happy ,never laughed so much watching Gary follow me and again I'm smiling writing this and will be with me a long time ,ten minutes later so happy to be at Gary's car and just after picked up the 2 walking wounded,they had there own stories,so many people ask why I walk the munros and I can tell u it's all in the above,I will never ever forget the 5 sisters of kintail ,ps dnt know how to upload photos I have loads
bigal231273
Mountain Walker

Munros:218   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland