walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ochil Hills

Ochil Hills

Postby seadog » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:51 pm

Grahams included on this walk: Ben Cleuch

Donalds included on this walk: Ben Cleuch

Date walked: 02/03/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 721m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Last monthI read a report on the Ochil Hills and thought I would write one of my own, on Sunday 28/2/2010 I set out to go to Ben Cleuch by way of the Law it was not a bad day exept for the wind which was very strong infact I read another report from a guy called Monty about him and his pal Donny and I am sure he said the wind was about 50 mph any way he had skis on which made coming down easy, anyway I spoke to them for a few minutes they said they had turned back at the top of the Law because of the wind, I carried on for a wee bit further then turned back not even getting to the top of the Law. Then on Tuesday I had another go, what a difference, the weather was glorious but I could have done with the snow being a bit firmer as it was hard going, anywaygot to the top of Ben Cleuch in 2hrs 15min which I thought wasnt to bad, had my tea and set out for the Andrew Gannel Hill and down to the Blackford path there was one set of footprints which I followed, that was a bad idea the snow was up to me knees I should have gone up onto the ridge under Kings Seat might be Elistoun Hillthere had been a lot of people on it earlier so the going might have been a wee bit easier, still got back to the car at Mill Glen safe and sound and had a great day. Seadog
S4010144.JPG
seadog
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   

Ochil Hills

Postby seadog » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:15 pm

These are some photos I meant to include with my last post.
Seadog
S4010145.JPG
S4010145.JPG
S4010148.JPG
looking to Bon Cleuch
S4010149-1.JPG
Andrew Gannel Hill
S4010149-1.JPG
Andrew Gannel Hill
S4010150.JPG
Kings Seat
S4010151-1.JPG
Top of the Law
S4010153.JPG
Top of Ben Cleuch
S4010155.JPG
East to Andrew Gannel
S4010155.JPG
East to Andrew Gannel
S4010157-1.JPG
Blackford path and the way home
Attachments
S4010147.JPG
seadog
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   

Re: Ochil Hills

Postby monty » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:05 pm

Hi Seadog. Me and Danny (danrun) were up there on Sunday and the wind at the top was terrible. I suggest it was about 50mph but I am only geussing. It certainly was strong enough to discourage me and Danny from continuing onto Ben Cleuch. I took ski's with me and ski'd some of the way down. Was it you we spoke to about halfway? :D :D Its a tough little hill :D
monty

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland