walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cnap Cruinn from Monessie, a different approach.

Cnap Cruinn from Monessie, a different approach.

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:44 am

Fionas included on this walk: Cnap Cruinn

Date walked: 11/10/2013

Time taken: 3.6 hours

Distance: 11.7 km

Ascent: 735m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We were staying at the Bunroy Campsite in Roybridge, and what a great wee campsite it is, I can highly recommend it, friendly helpful staff and very clean. It made sense that since we were based there not to go along to the normal starting route at Inverlair along the Fersit as suggested by 'Andrew Dempster in his guide to the Grahams' but to start down the road opposite the road to the Cille Choirill Church and Graveyard about 2k East of Roybridge (not a lot of space available, there is always the church carpark on the opposite side of the road)

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

. There is a bridge over the railway at this point which takes you on to a track adjacent to the railway towards the suspension bridge over at the Monessie Gorge
1.JPG
After crossing the railway by bridge you find yourself on this track leading towards the suspension bridge, just keep heading North towards the wooded area
2.JPG
Crossing the suspension bridge, nice and shaky!
3.JPG
Keep following the main track which takes you towards Monessie Farm which is on the East Highland Way, after going through a couple of gates head on South onto the North East shoulder of Beinn Chliamaig. As you climb you cross over of what remains of the now dismantled tramway to the aluminium works in Kinlochleven. The going was very wet underfoot as it had been heavy rainfall for the past week in these parts, although today the sun was out and pretty warm for the middle of October. Photograph looking back at Monessie Farm
4.JPG
Hard pull all the way with also a fence to cross, there are sections without barbed wire to cross over
5.JPG
Summit of Beinn Chliamaig 724m, unrelenting but the views from the top make it very worth while , from left to right, Stob a Choire Mheadhoin, Stob Coire Eassain, Cruach Innse
6.JPG
Cruach Innse (Corbett) on right, Stob Coire Easain (Munro) on left
7.JPG
View from the West top towards the summit of Cnap Cruinn, easy walking on short heather. The English name is Round Lump, ok so what, great view points all around, well worth the climb and no forrestry to walk though at the start, quite a bonus since the sun was out. It took us two hours to reach the summit
8.JPG
More views from the summit
9.JPG
View over Glen Spean from summit
10.JPG
Heading on down the ATV track which we found following the North side of the Allt Boidheach, it was very slippy because of the amout of rainfall and many slips but no falls were had!
11.JPG
Soon arrived at the disused railway track which we followed around North East shoulder
12.JPG
On one of the old railway bridges, there was plenty of remnants of railway for those with an interest of History on the subject
13.JPG
The old track used for retaining the track in sections
14.JPG
Another bridge
15.JPG
Zoom of Cille Choirill Church and Churchyard
16.JPG
Looking over to Creag Dhubh (Graham) at the back of the church. On our way back we cut off before reaching the farm and headed down nearer the river but there were a couple of fence crossings required so maybe heading back through the farm might be better, you take your choice. On and after a dry spell this would make a fine walk, and hardly any trees to go through.
Last edited by The Rodmiester on Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Cnap Cruinn from Monessie, a different approach.

Postby Graeme D » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:44 pm

I really enjoyed this one a few years back as part of a 2 day route including the 2 Easain Munros and the 2 Innse Corbetts. Probably one of my best hill days. 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby jmarkb » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:04 pm

Nice report and some great photos! We tried this in the winter a few years ago: got as far as the top of Beinn Chlianaig and could not stand up in the wind! Must try again sometime.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:13 pm

jmarkb wrote:Nice report and some great photos! We tried this in the winter a few years ago: got as far as the top of Beinn Chlianaig and could not stand up in the wind! Must try again sometime.

Hi jmarkb, funny you should say that, I had that experience just over the road earlier this year on Creag Dhubh, maybe the wind is funnelled between the two hills, really frightening! I like the idea of the loop as well as missing all those trees at the start from Fersit, pick a good day now.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:33 pm

I have no plans to park my bones 6 feet under any time soon but if I did you could do a lot worse than Cille Choirill graveyard.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:21 pm

Gordie12 wrote:I have no plans to park my bones 6 feet under any time soon but if I did you could do a lot worse than Cille Choirill graveyard.

Glenbogle Churchyard you mean, Archie's Dad is buried there as well :lol: :lol:

Joking apart, what a site! wonderful views down Glen Spean!
The Rodmiester
Walker

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland