walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Mhor

Beinn Mhor

Postby rob munbett » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:14 am

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Beinn Mhor (Grantown)

Date walked: 08/10/2013

Time taken: 1.45 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

OK - so not the most dramatic or interesting of hills - but a very pleasant autumnal morning stroll if you're in the area. I drove up the narrow road signposted Glenbeg, at the end of which there is a large turning circle where a car can be parked without causing an obstruction. From here a good road leads to Glenbeg farm. The road goes right through the farm buildings and on this morning the farmers were busy moving sheep. Past experience has taught me to be apprehensive about a situation like this but on this occasion the farmers were very accommodating and friendly and, after a short delay, I was on my way up the road beyond the farm buildings.
P1020001.JPG
Beinn Mhor from Glenbeg
There follows a pleasant walk though woods with a huge population of pheasants - indeed, they were all over the hillside,too. At the end of the forest there was a deer fence with a wooden gate that was padlocked but too fragile to climb over so I had to negotiate the wire fence. This road goes well beyond what is shown on even the most recent OS map so the walking continued to be very easy.
P1010987.JPG
The road continues beyond the forest line
I went to the highest point of the road where there was a small cairn amongst the burnt heather to the left. I sat here for a quick coffee and contemplated the best line of ascent.
P1010998.JPG
Beinn Mhor from the high point of the road
Really, I needn't have worried because the there was a rough vehicle track running through the deep heather leading to some of the best camouflaged shooting butts I have ever seen. I could have followed this virtually to the trig point but I decided that I'd been having things too easy so I set off for a short jaunt through the 'thick stuff' for the cairn marked on the map.
P1010991.JPG
The cairn with the trig point in the distance
From here it was a gentle stroll over to the trig point. I was looking forward to great views to the Cairngorms but the cloud was down so no joy there but the views over Ben Rinnes and the Hills of Cromdale were pretty good.
P1010995.JPG
Beinn Mhor's trig point
Rinnes and Cromdale.JPG
Ben Rinnes and the Hills of Cromdale
A narrow track led off from here through the heather which I followed back down to the road. Then, a very relaxing saunter to the car and back to Aviemore for morning coffee with the family.
rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland