walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Pap of Glencoe first hillwalk

Pap of Glencoe first hillwalk

Postby pedhlund » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:50 pm

Route description: The Pap of Glencoe

Fionas included on this walk: Pap of Glencoe

Date walked: 11/10/2013

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 4.25 km

Ascent: 742m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I am a complete novice at hill-walking yet on a previous visit to Glencoe I found the hills there irresistible, so on a second visit I gave hill-walkng a try. Being concerned about my skill level and safety and ability to properly identify the trail I engaged Steven Fallon Mountain Guides to keep me out of trouble. I am very glad I did. Most of the trail up the Pap of Glencoe is fairly easy to identify and follow, but being a novice I was not exactly sure what the trail should look like. This is where having Steven Fallon as a guide was extremely helpful. Where the trail becomes somewhat difficult to clearly identify in the saddle between the summit of the Pap and the adjacent summit to the Southeast at about 589 meters elevation he pointed us in the right direction. While the hill here is reasonably clear and easy going and several different routes to the summit could be taken, it is not apparent from this point that the easiest way to approach the summit is from the North or Northeasterly direction. Here again our guide kept us out of trouble pointing us toward the easiest route around the back side of the summit from where we approached it. The last 100 meters is quite a steep climb for a novice hill-walker but not too steep for a cautious and methodical climb, especially with an excellent guide. If I had known what I was undertaking as a complete novice to hill-walking with this hill I probably would have tried a smaller less demanding hill for my first one, but I am very glad I went ahead with it and very glad we had an excelent guide to keep us out of trouble and keep us motivated to reach the top.
Attachments
image.jpg
Trail leaving the saddle
image.jpg
Getting steeper as we approach the summit
image.jpg
Happy at the top
pedhlund
Mountaineer

Re: Pap of Glencoe first hillwalk

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:05 am

Hi there pedhlund, glad you enjoyed your first hillwalk, looks like you had lovely weather for it and certainly the dry conditions would have given you more confidence as well as your guide. :) Enjoy your days on any future hills now that you have the bug!
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland