walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ten day holiday on Skye

Ten day holiday on Skye

by Musicfinder » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:27 pm

Date walked: 30/09/2013

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Ten day holiday on Skye

Postby Sabbathstevie » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:51 pm

Some wonderful pics there - very jealous! :clap:

Where is the no-name waterfall - looks like a good one to visit when I finally get up to Skye!
Sabbathstevie
Hill Bagger

Munros:66   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   
Islands:10

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:04 pm

...so I visited the Cave of Gold almost daily...

Did you have any access problems at the Cave of Gold?

There has been a long history of problems there. The original route was blocked by a crofter, and after negotiations between him and the local council, a new route was made - with new gates provided for walkers at public expense - along the coastline. We changed Walkhighlands and had our own book reprinted to reflect the new preferred route (other books still have the previous route), only for the crofter to also block the new route he'd agreed to, with signs plastered right over the walkers' access gate that was put in for him by the council. We've since quite a few reports of threats and aggression from walkers here, but all quiet over the last summer.

Would be interested to know if there are currently any signs attempting to inhibit access, or if you had any problems.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Musicfinder » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:50 pm

Paul Webster wrote:
...so I visited the Cave of Gold almost daily...

Did you have any access problems at the Cave of Gold?

Would be interested to know if there are currently any signs attempting to inhibit access, or if you had any problems.

Paul,

I never had any problem with access on my visits to the Cave of Gold. I was usually down there in the evening towards sunset though. I walked along the coastline rather than crossing his field which may have helped. Also he may not have wanted to confront a 6'5" walker either :lol: But I had been informed by a local resident if I had any problems to advise the crofter he could call the police or that I would to resolve the issue.

Regarding a sign: There was a large sign posted on the access gate the first couple days stating "No Trespassing" etc. etc., but it had been removed by someone several days into my holiday.
Musicfinder

Postby weaselmaster » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:34 pm

Just fantastic photographs
thanks for sharing them :D
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:183   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby Bonzo » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:35 pm

Superb. As good as anything I've seen for sale in shops up and down the country.
Bonzo
Mountain Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:96
Wainwrights:147   

Postby Musicfinder » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:20 am

weaselmaster wrote:Just fantastic photographs
thanks for sharing them :D

Weaselmaster, thank you. I thought I had done well with these shots, it's nice to see the positive comments from fellow members that think so too.

Bonzo wrote:Superb. As good as anything I've seen for sale in shops up and down the country.

I can sense my head begin to swell already :lol: Thank you so much for the accolade.
Musicfinder

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:00 pm

Bonzo wrote:Superb. As good as anything I've seen for sale in shops up and down the country.

I agree - better than a lot of calenders and pictures on sale.

Musicfinder wrote:Caberfeidh, do you have any specific Western Isles recommendations? Thanks in advance if you do!

Yes, the beaches on the west coast of Harris on a sunny day with all the flowers of the machair bobbing in the sea-breeze take your breath away, the cliffs of Ness and various other points of Lewis on a wild day are awe-inspiring, the ancient standing stones of Callanish are haunting, the wild open moorland looking south to Harris from Lochs in Lewis has a bleak, wild watery landscape and the moors of Lewis have a desolation of their own. The ruins and landscape, rocky shores and islets all around are fascinating. Learn more by reading up on the Western Isles before you go...
http://www.shiantisles.net/ ; http://www.isle-of-lewis.com/ ; http://www.explore-harris.com/ ; http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/areawestnorth/
Luskentyre.JPG

Barabhas Machair.JPG

Magic Stones.jpg

January 10 273_Underpainting_1.jpg

Clach MacLeod Horgabost.jpg
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Musicfinder » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:29 pm

Sabbathstevie wrote:Some wonderful pics there - very jealous! :clap:

Where is the no-name waterfall - looks like a good one to visit when I finally get up to Skye!

Thank you, glad you enjoyed the photos.

The no-name waterfall is along the coastline between The Old Man of Storr and Staffin. There isn't a sign or even a path to the waterfall. It's a walk down a fairly steep hill, then across a boggy field to a 4 foot fence topped by barbed wire. Once over the fence it's into the trees at the top of the low cliffs to a vague path and then using ropes to get down the last 20 to 30 feet to the coastline. Visiting at high tide will limit your options for locations to photograph the waterfall.
Musicfinder

Postby trekker53 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:31 am

Outstanding photos there, musicfinder. Cetainly brightened up a dreary nightshift.
trekker53
Munro compleatist

Munros:215   Corbetts:88
Fionas:42   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:50   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:7   

Postby SMRussell » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:45 pm

Top bananas! Nice shots and good use of shutter speed :wink:
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Postby Musicfinder » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:55 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:Yes, the beaches on the west coast of Harris on a sunny day with all the flowers of the machair bobbing in the sea-breeze take your breath away, the cliffs of Ness and various other points of Lewis on a wild day are awe-inspiring, the ancient standing stones of Callanish are haunting, the wild open moorland looking south to Harris from Lochs in Lewis has a bleak, wild watery landscape and the moors of Lewis have a desolation of their own. The ruins and landscape, rocky shores and islets all around are fascinating. Learn more by reading up on the Western Isles before you go...

Caberfeidh, thanks for the suggestions and links. I am including Harris and Lewis as definite destinations for next May in addition to returning to Skye. Now the fun of reading up and deciding where to explore on Harris & Lewis.
trekker53 wrote:Outstanding photos there, musicfinder. Cetainly brightened up a dreary nightshift.

Glad I could help brighten your nightshift :)
SMRussell wrote:Top bananas! Nice shots and good use of shutter speed :wink:

SMRussell, thank you for the compliments.
Musicfinder

Postby AnnieMacD » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:12 pm

Fabulous photos. Bravo!
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:48 am

Absolutely wonderful photographs there Musicfinder! :D Cannot wait to see the ones from the Outer Hebrides, can I suggest to in addition to Caberfeidh suggestions that you include, Vatersay beaches, Barra beaches and Berneray beaches East coast, you will not regret it I promise. I cycled the length of the Outer Hebrides a few years ago coming up mostly on the East side, it was amazing! :D you will be spoilt for choice, your coming from a distance so it would make sense to do the whole trip if you had time.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby martin.h » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:02 pm

Those photographs are sheer artistry, every single one of them. Thank you.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Postby Musicfinder » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:44 pm

AnnieMacD wrote:Fabulous photos. Bravo!

Thank you. I enjoyed your photos and report of the Bla Bheinn walk.
The Rodmiester wrote:Absolutely wonderful photographs there Musicfinder! :D Cannot wait to see the ones from the Outer Hebrides, can I suggest to in addition to Caberfeidh suggestions that you include, Vatersay beaches, Barra beaches and Berneray beaches East coast, you will not regret it I promise. I cycled the length of the Outer Hebrides a few years ago coming up mostly on the East side, it was amazing! :D you will be spoilt for choice, your coming from a distance so it would make sense to do the whole trip if you had time.

Rodmiester, thanks for the compliment and further suggestions for the Outer Hebrides. I am trying to determine how much time to devote to the Outer Hebrides. I would like to plan on a week there, but more likely it will be 3 or 4 days. I thought 3 or 4 days would be sufficient to get a proper 'taste' of Lewis and Harris but feel not enough time to explore much more. We will have a car so we won't have to depend on public transportation to move around. Your opinion?
Musicfinder

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland