walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Wonderful Quinag

Wonderful Quinag

Postby inca » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:39 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Quinag - Sàil Gharbh, Quinag - Sàil Ghorm, Quinag - Spidean Coinich

Date walked: 17/10/2013

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 13.7 km

Ascent: 1082m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Suited and booted at large A894 car park by 1000 hours. Met one other hillwalker there -older English chap- who was also tackling Quinag. Set off north-west along good John Muir Trust path towards Lochan Bealach Chornaidh. Weather excellent and going good. Path gradually dwindles to track but this is easily enough followed up to Bealach a Chornaidh. Lovely morning with autumn colours in evidence and stags bellowing on southern slopes of Sail Garbh.

Somehow managed to miss rising traverse path from lower part of bealach and walked straight up to its highest point before noticing mistake - easily remedied by contouring round to east and picking up gentle slopes to Sail Garbh. Fairly rocky near trig point but nothing troublesome. Magnificent views over Quinag's other ridges and to the north and east. Wispy clouds came and went and spent 20-30 mins drinking in the views and taking pics.

Returned towards bealach but this time took clear path contouring round noth-east side of unnamed hill at 745m. Continued following ridge north-west, bypassing sawn-off top on it's east east side. There is an obvious path with some easy scrambling to facilitate this. Passed a couple of 'windows' with steep drops into Gleann Leireag to the west. Continued along ridge to summit of Sail Ghorm. Again fantastic views in all directions - had lunch and got some decent pics. Began to see other walkers coming up on to ridge from south end.

Retraced steps back to hill at 745m, meeting my new English friend en route. Brief chat, congratulating ourselves on how fortunate we were to be on Quinag on a day like this. Continued south, this time going straight over top of 745 and following badly eroded path down its southern flank to Bealach a Chornaidh. Thereafter steep path up unnamed hill at 713. Probably toughest and most exciting part of the walk - the path narrow to a grassy knife-edge with mild exposure. Passed two guys near top. Rocky climb up to summit of Spidean Coinich, whose southern slopes offer the usual route of ascent. Since this is the best top though, I had saved it until last and had no regrets about choice. Great views over Loch Assynt and The Minch. Spent another 20 mins or so at top before descending south and then south-east over large boulder field. Easy enough progress on large slabs but careful to watch feet placement on smaller rocks.

Past a wind shelter half-way down and later picked up good path which rejoins outward path near car park. Total walking time of 5 hrs 50 mins; not bad considering stops on way round.

Quinag is a fantastic mountain - probably my favourite in Scotland thus far. Not the highest but it's an 'honest' one where
every metre in height gained is earned. Route I used is described best by the author Dan Bailey on the ukhillwalking website. I was very lucky with the weather; as I was driving off, looked back and dark clouds were rolling in across the tops.
inca
Hill Bagger

Munros:225   Corbetts:71
Fionas:82   Donalds:89+41
Sub 2000:198   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland