walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stob Ban (Grey Corries)

Stob Ban (Grey Corries)

Postby steverabone » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:51 pm

Route description: Stob Ban (Grey Corries)

Munros included on this walk: Stob Bàn (Grey Corries)

Date walked: 19/10/2013

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

As you will see some of the photos with this trip report aren't especially good because of the mist. However they still give an idea what the path is actually like, so might be of use to somebody on this forum. I actually felt that the climb was one of the easiest Munros I've climbed.

Back in June 2011 I failed to climb Stob Ban due to running out of time when I walked from Glen Nevis across the Grey Corries to Spean Bridge.

In October 2013 I returned to climb this hill which was the only Munro I hadn't climbed in the Fort William area.

As I used the train to Spean Bridge this meant that I had to do the long walk in and out to the foot of Stob Ban From Spean Bridge; that's eight miles in and 8 miles back. Fortunately, it's a pleasant and interesting walk and has the advantage that you've already climbed 380 metres of Stob Ban's 977 metres before you start on the actual climb, without really noticing it as the gradients are gentle.

The walk in to the bothy near the bottom of Stob Ban took me just under three hours, while the return downhill walk took exactly two and a half hours. The climb and return from the bothy took a fairly leisurely three hours.

The start out of Spean Bridge takes the road towards Killiechonate by the River Spean.

At the junction for Killiechonate the left fork is taken....

... which leads towards the beginning of the hill tracks near Coire Choille Farm. The inset gives an idea of the range of destinations possible by using these old drove roads.

At Coire Choille Farm the hills come properly into sight although on this October day there weren't going to be many views.

The drove road heads steadily uphill ......

...passing the signposts to The Lairig

A deer fence is passed...

....before meeting the 'Wee Minister'

And I hope you've put a small donation in the box - you never know when you might need their help....

As the drove road heads up the Lairig Leacach it crosses over the Allt na Lairige ...

...and climbs towards the watershed ....

...which is reached at about 500m above sea level.

Crossing the Bealach na Cruaiche; the stream on the northern side flows directly into the River Spean, whilst the one heading south goes in to Loch Treig and then the very short (2 mile long) River Treigwhich also flows into the River Spean.

From the bealach the drove road falls gently...

...with the first view of the lower slopes of Stob Ban on the right.

The path to Corrour station (must walk that some time!) heads off to the east just...

..before reaching the Leacach bothy

I took the opportunity to have a break in the bothy, write in the bothy book and read the comments, before setting off up the hill.

The drove road crosses the Allt a' Chuil Choirean at a ford but, fortunately, there is a...

...footbridge just upstream, although its deck is clearly in need of repairs.

Looking back to the footbridge and bothy with Sgurr Inse (809m) beyond.

The path to Stob Ban leaves the drove road after a short distance, at NN 28202 73434

and heads towards this rocky outcrop.

Looking back towards the bothy....

....and south down the Lairig Leacach.

The climb to Stob Ban is surprisingly easy with only one or two sections lower down over rocky out crops needing any care.

This view is looking up the Allt a' Chuil Choirean. Under the clouds is the col between Stob Choire Claurigh and Stob Ban.

Although I wasn't going to have any views I carried on taking photos to show the nature of the path.

It's a very clear path mostly on the ridge top and across grass...

...until it leaves the crest for a short distance to skirt the hillside above Coire Claurigh (down there in the mist).

Then it's back on the ridge

....before dipping down to a stream....

...and then starting the steady pull uphill....

....to reach slightly stonier ground.

Although it's not really apparent in this photo the last section is on quite a steep zig zag path up.....

...onto the stony crest of Stob Ban with its..

...small cairn. Sadly there were no views but Munro number 139 was 'in the bag'. The climb from the bothy had taken exactly one and a half hours.

On the way downhill there was a slight improvement in visibility; just to the right of Sgurr Inse the waters ofLoch Treig can be seen.

Whilst in October 2013 I had no view of Stob Ban, this photograph from 2011 shows it viewed from the path by the Allt a' Chuil Choirean.
Attachments

19.10.13.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

steverabone

Munros:190   Corbetts:41
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:38

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland