walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a'Bhuird, Ben Avon

Beinn a'Bhuird, Ben Avon

Postby gman » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:08 pm

Route description: Ben Avon via Gleann an-Slugain

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Bhùird, Ben Avon

Date walked: 21/10/2013

Time taken: 7.1 hours

Distance: 40 km

Ascent: 1379m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

avon actual.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

A day in the clag. I was the only car in the car park today, £2.50 charge but they've got a working toilet with Angry Corrie covers on the wall to read so value for money.

Cycled up to the ruin, there are signs for Slugain and Quoich to follow and the tarmac road goes to the right of the Invercauld/Altdourie buildings. Past Altdourie there's a cattle grid, and just after this the road forks - signposted Quoich to the left so I went to the right (I think this used to be signposted Slugain). Rougher land rover track now and I found it tough going.

Took the high road when I got to the ruin as I heard it was easier but I soon ran out of talent on the bike & ditched it. Had a look down to the ruin and wondered where the secret howff might be...should have gone that way & dumped the bike at the ruin. After the 2 paths merge again the landy track becomes a path, which actually looks like it would be cyclable if you get the bike this far.

A few burns to cross, and a lot of water coming off the hills so this was a bit tricky in places, but an easy walk up to the Sneck and into the clag.

Sneck.

Up to Ben Avon and the summit tor.

Almost a view!

Rock was wet & cold but still quite grippy. Don't think I found the easiest way down as it was a bit scarier than expected :lol: .

Then back to the Sneck and a pathless cairn hunt in the clag for Beinn a'Bhuird, few tors on the way but the cairn is actually on a grassy mound.

Thought about continuing over Carn Fiaclach but it was pretty claggy and the safest option was back to the Sneck and a descent on the path. Practised my burn leaping technique on the return as there weren't any witnesses :lol: , clag clearing over Beinn a'Bhuird now.

Easy coast back to the car park as it's mainly downhill, quick trip as there weren't any views to admire and I bypassed the ruin/howff.
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Beinn a'Bhuird, Ben Avon

Postby pigeon » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:29 pm

You managed some good pics gman despite the clag,not been a great week weather wise,must visit Ben Avon again,nearly got blown off the tors when we went up last year :shock:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Re: Beinn a'Bhuird, Ben Avon

Postby quoman » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:30 pm

Hi Gman these's two are fantastic hill. i was up there 4 weeks ago,we managed to cycle to the bottom of Creag an Dail Mhor.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland