walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vorlich without the Stuc

Ben Vorlich without the Stuc

Postby martin.h » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:36 am

Route description: Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'Chroin

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn)

Date walked: 19/10/2013

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 9.5 km

Ascent: 881m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was a pre-planned weekend jaunt from West Yorkshire just to see if it was feasable to tackle some Munro's given a tight time frame. The plan was to do Ben Vorlich and Stuc a' Chroin on Saturday and Ben Lomond on Sunday.
So we set off straight from work in Bradford hoping to save a bit of time but it soon proved to be the opposite because it took us 1.5 hours to travel the first 14 miles in rush hour traffic and then a further hour to get to the M6 at Kirkby Lonsdale, a journey which normally takes 1.5 hours from home on a Saturday or Sunday. Once on the motorway it was plain sailing and we arrived at Falkirk Travelodge at 9.30 pm, had a quick beer and we were off to bed.
We woke up Saturday morning to heavy cloud and tipping rain, we had breccy got our gear together looked out, still raining, ah well so what? We decided to go for it because we didn't want to write the day off due to the weather and it was a long way to come to do nothing. Set off from the Travelodge at 8.20 am, arrived at Ardvorlich House at 9.10 am and set off walking at 9.35 am, it was still raining but it didn't feel too bad, the cloud was down to about 500 m and the wind decided to add to the mix, what fun! Headed over the hump bridge and walked up the driveway following the little signs that the estate had placed to herd you in the right direction. We headed through the trees the mist was gathering but it is an enjoyable steady track which turns into a good path further on. When the trees were cleared we managed to get a view of Loch Earn but Ben Vorlich, Ben Our and the surrounding hills were totally covered in clag.
The walk was nice and steady just a plod in the conditions, not much to see. The climb became steeper and a bit loose under foot but soon the Trig pillar could be seen through the gloom which seemed to come into view sooner than anticipated, we arrived at the trig, took the usual photo and then walked onto the cairn a little further on. It had taken two hours to get there so that wasn't too bad. After a brief discussion about the worth of going onto the Stuc we decided not to bother due to the conditions and headed off downhill, probably the soft option but I'd rather see the views instead of guessing and, to be honest, we'd had enough of driving rain and mist.
On the way down we met several folk on the way up so we weren't the only mad fools on the hill that day, we stopped and had a natter with a couple of the groups and the general feeling was one of "we'll carry on and see if it improves" so we wished them well and carried on down. Arrived back at the car at 1.00 pm, changed into dry clothes, had our lunch and then set off to Stirling to do some shopping.
I'm glad we decided to have this walk, I know we missed out on one of our goals for the day, but we did do one Munro in pretty crappy conditions, character building, that's what I say even though I'm kicking myself now for not going onto Stuc a' Chroin.
The real downside to the day was trying to dry the gear out in the Travelodge for Sunday's walk, we managed it, just.
I only took 4 photo's all the time we were out, my camera let me know it doesn't like the rain and decided to go on strike after getting wet, I had to dry it out over the cars air vents, it worked, thankfully.
Here they are, not much I'm afraid:-
PA192533.JPG
Hoping it'll improve

PA192534.JPG
A vague view of Loch Earn

PA192535.JPG
Just before the clag enveloped us

PA192536.JPG
No view, but at least we can say we've been on the summit

All in all, a good shortish walk, will have to try again in the sun.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:210   Corbetts:17
Grahams:10   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:149
Wainwrights:214   Islands:23
Walk wish-list

Re: Ben Vorlich without the Stuc

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:26 am

Bad luck there Martin.h , does not look like much fun, better luck next time. Weather down South not any better, presently down in Nottingham and its rained every day so far :( You got one :) another visit soon, I guess.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Grahams:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:16

Postby basscadet » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:40 pm

Unfortunate that you had to turn back.. I hate having to cut a route short :?
Did this one for my 200th, and I got gales, rain and snaa as weel :roll: Good excuse to go back because I think in good conditions it would be fun up there :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Grahams:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby GillC » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:28 pm

Well done,,,we had conditions like yours with howling winds on Vorlich and Stuc (we nearly missed the real top due to lack of visibility) but magically,,on our way down it all lifted and we had fabulous weather by the time we were on Ben Our,, Well done on that long haul north thought :clap:
GillC
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:44
Grahams:31   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5

Postby martin.h » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:46 am

Thanks All, I suppose my sense of adventure is'nt quite as it was but the Stuc has been placed closer to the top of the "must do" list. I've only just started my Munro campaign and I'm not sure if I'll complete, can't help thinking I'm not placed well geographically but as Denise would say "any new one is a good one"
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:210   Corbetts:17
Grahams:10   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:149
Wainwrights:214   Islands:23
Walk wish-list

Postby GillC » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:50 am

Agreed,,your location is certainly a handicap for bagging. I never intended doing them all,,but this year,,I seem to have had a shift in my thinking. It just takes a bit more forward planning, doubling up with others and being prepared for intense weekends of hill after hill after hill lol,,, however you do it,,stay safe and ENJOY! :D
GillC
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:44
Grahams:31   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland