walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Four Tops of Beinn Damh

The Four Tops of Beinn Damh

Postby AnnieMacD » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:51 pm

Route description: Beinn Dàmh (or Ben Damph)

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Damh

Date walked: 20/10/2013

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 14.4 km

Ascent: 1231m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Track_Beinn Damh 2013-10-20.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

For the second time in my short hill-walking career I lost my walk report after spending over an hour polishing it up and inserting the photos all in correct sequence with explanations etc. Aaaaargh! Well, here is a much more succinct version....

I was on the path by 7:30am as I have a fear of getting stuck on a hill in the dark and now that the nights are closing in I have to start earlier and earlier!

Here's Beinn Alligin as the sun was rising.
Beinn Alligin at dawn by AnnieMacD, on Flickr

And further up...

Maol Chean-dearg with the sun behind. All these hills are so familiar now and there is a certain sense of 'ownership' now that I have climbed them.

I intended to visit all four tops of Beinn Damh and hoped to take a short-cut up to Beinn nan Bana Mhoraire diagonally NW to emerge on the small bealach just below the summit. However, there had been a lot of rain the previous 24 hours and off-path was just one big bog (at least down at 250m) so decided to use the well-worn path up to the bealach by Toll Ban. By this time the sun was up and the light was amazing. I toodled over the bealach to have a look down to Loch Damh with its pretty little beaches (and dreaded fish farms) and then took a right to go over Meall Gorm and on to the north-west top.

A wee cairn near the Toll Ban bealach.

Looking down to Loch Damh from the bealach.
The steep scree sides of Beinn Damh by AnnieMacD, on Flickr

The corries of Beinn Bhan from the bealach.

View from Sgurr na Bana Moraire of Torridon and Liathach.
Torridon & Liathach from Beinn Damh (Sgurr na Bana Mhoraire) by AnnieMacD, on Flickr

I returned the way I came and then took the bypass path round the 868 top then headed straight for the summit. I found the remains of a ptarmigan which had very recently been eaten - wondering if it was an eagle - I don't think there would be any foxes up here.

Looking back from above the bealach.

Summit ahead with Maol Chean-dearg and Sgorr Ruadh.

From the summit - Maol Chean-dearg and An Ruadh-stac.

Looking down to Coire Roill with the craggy side of Beinn Damh. Torridon beyond!

Loch Damh and Beinn Bhan from the summit.

There were two people at the summit who were just about to leave and with another couple further down they were the only people I saw all day. It was so cold and a bit windy and the clouds were starting to blow in so I had a quick lunch and left in record time.

Stopped for a while at the 868 top though as it was warmer and the views are even better. I then made my way down the shoulder to the top of Creag na h-Iolaire (Eagle's Rock). Any little difficulties were got over by following the deer paths of which there are quite a few - away from the madding crowd!

The north-west tops from the 868 summit.

Alligin and Beinn Alligin from the ridge.

Liathach and Beinn na h-Eaglaise (on right) are starting to get a cloud covering.

The high corrie of Toll Ban is beautiful and very sheltered. All scrambling can be avoided by following the deer paths.

There are great views of Coire Roill. From left - Beinn Liath Mor, Sgorr Ruadh, sunshine on Fuar Tholl, Maol Chean-dearg and An Ruadh-stac.

Descent route from the top down to Creag na h-Iolaire.

I then turned WNW to get down the side of the Creag on a steep but easy slope and headed for the path not too far above the tree line.

Torridon and Liathach from Creag na h-Iolaire.

Back on the path - here's lovely Beinn Alligin.

Looking back the clouds had closed in and the two summits were covered in the mists. Creag na h-Iolaire stands out.

After a great day on the Four Tops I was home in Applecross before sunset!
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Re: The Four Tops of Beinn Damh

Postby Graeme D » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:32 pm

A jaw dropping part of the country. Benn too long ...... April!
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby scottishkennyg » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:06 pm

Excellent photos again Anne. You could give that Colin Prior guy a run for his money... :clap:
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

Postby Musicfinder » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:24 am

Wonderful photos! I especially like the 2nd to last photo of Beinn Alligin, great capture of the light. :clap:
Musicfinder

Postby tweedledog » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:34 pm

How I miss Torridon - your pictures have made me feel all nostalgic! The one of Beinn Liath Mor reminded me of sitting alone on the summit one autumn day when a large black lab came up the hill below and and proceeded to sit next to me. We sat there for 15 mins of so before his owners caught up! :)
tweedledog
Wanderer

Postby Avocetboy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:26 pm

Cracking report and photo's, anniemacd. We tried this back in august, but turned back when the clag came down. Now I can see what we missed
Avocetboy
Mountain Walker

Munros:59   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:74   Islands:7

Postby markp » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:41 pm

Returning to Torridon shortly and this walk is on my list to do. Some great photos, thanks for sharing - you've definitely whet my appetite!
markp
Mountaineer

Postby AnnieMacD » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:43 pm

Graeme D wrote:A jaw dropping part of the country. Benn too long ...... April!

Lucky you doing this hill in April. I really recommend all the tops though!

scottishkennyg wrote:Excellent photos again Anne. You could give that Colin Prior guy a run for his money... :clap:

Ha ha about Colin Prior - I don't think he need be shaking in his shoes just yet! But, thanks anyway.

Musicfinder wrote:Wonderful photos! I especially like the 2nd to last photo of Beinn Alligin, great capture of the light. :clap:

Beinn Alligin is truly beautiful from Beinn Damh - it's a great angle from which to view it as you see the whole ridge.

tweedledog wrote:How I miss Torridon - your pictures have made me feel all nostalgic! The one of Beinn Liath Mor reminded me of sitting alone on the summit one autumn day when a large black lab came up the hill below and and proceeded to sit next to me. We sat there for 15 mins of so before his owners caught up! :)

Well, it was seeing it from Maol Chean-dearg that inspired me. You really don't see how grand it is from the road - you have to be up another hill!

Avocetboy wrote:Cracking report and photo's, anniemacd. We tried this back in august, but turned back when the clag came down. Now I can see what we missed

I hope you try it again - it's a cracking walk.

markp wrote:Returning to Torridon shortly and this walk is on my list to do. Some great photos, thanks for sharing - you've definitely whet my appetite!

I hope you get a great day for it - the views are amazing.
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby robertphillips » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:17 pm

Looks like you had a great day for it ,some cracking photos. nice walk up through the pine woodland to this one.
robertphillips
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:423   Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   Islands:39

Postby John Doh » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:02 pm

Annie, I am saying this here on this thread but it could be on any of your reports. You really make great reports and you do have a good hand on your camera. The pictures set your reports above most on these forums. :clap:
John Doh

Sub 2000:2   
Islands:39

Postby joekell » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:29 pm

Great report AnnieMac stunning pics keep it up
joekell
Stravaiging

Munros:46   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:8

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland