walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Morven On a Cold Cold Day

Morven On a Cold Cold Day

Postby Gordie12 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:36 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Morven

Date walked: 01/11/2013

Time taken: 3.3 hours

Distance: 11.1 km

Ascent: 842m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another night on weather watch and East seemed best so Aberdeenshire again.

The plan, Pressendye first then a short drive over to Morven for my second hill of the day. Just one problem, I couldn't find where to park the car to do Pressendye. My navigation on hills is decent, my ability to find somewhere to dump the car (while armed with a car sat nav, Garmin, atlas, OS map and Rod's notes :? :? ) is not of the same standard and sometimes it just P's me off.

So, Morven it was (having successfully found the right place to park).

1.jpg
Start of the walk

Loads of sheep in the first field as I headed up to the ruin at Balhennie. Reached the ruin just as the 10.30am race got underway.

2.jpg

Once past Balhennie a couple of gates led to the open hill. Not surprisingly after the recent weather it was a bit damp underfoot but it didn't take long to pick up a narrow track which was much better. The gradient was fairly gentle as the track slowly headed uphill on the southern slopes of Morven before heading north before a gully.

4.jpg
Looking back towards the start

5.jpg
Approaching the gully

Having headed North for a few minutes a wide track came in to view. Instead of turning right and heading up past the numbered shooting butts I went left for a little wander to see where the track went. I only went up the track for about 15 minutes before turning back (I remembered JC's report when he combined Morven with Mona Gowan so was just heading over in that direction for a little look).

6.jpg
Morven

7.jpg

Once past the shooting butts there was a turning point on the track and I decided at this point just to head directly towards the top and leave the track.

8.jpg
The direct route

Initially the gradient and walking was easy, this was followed by 15 minutes of fairly deep heather with some boulders underneath so care needed with where you were putting your feet. It was good to pick up again with the main track for the final climb following some fence posts.

9.jpg

10.jpg
Back on the track

The last 15 minutes to the top on the exposed part of the hill was a bit wild and boy was the wind cold. It wasn't a day for hanging about at the summit so it was 5 minutes and back downhill for some shelter.

11.jpg
Summit

12.jpg
Trig point

13.jpg
Dark clouds blowing in

I decided to just stick to the main track on the way back and it turned out to be a bit of a bogfest in places but once back at the shooting butts conditions improved and it was a good walk back down the narrow track to the car.

Nice hill this one, wish I'd taken in Mona Gowan but I wasn't sure there would be enough daylight left so one to come back to.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Re: Morven On a Cold Cold Day

Postby The Rodmiester » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:55 pm

Nice wee hill there Geordie! And not a bad path up to the track. No sign of the shooting brigade, lucky you! At least you missed all the deep heather on the East side. Time I got out again, I think, maybe not this weekend though.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:01 pm

Good decision not to head out this weekend , certainly today anyway.

I was aware of your route down and was thinking of heading the same way but I had loads of time to take the longer route back to the car.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby gmr82 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:38 pm

Its a lovely hill this one Gordie, and the scene of my first walk outwith the Pentlands and so have always thought of this as my first 'real' hill walk. Fond, fond memories, in Aberdeen next week and first thought is to had back up there for the first time. I ascended directly up as per the WH route, which was good fun, will probably descend the same way this time after reading Rodmiesters report of the shooting party.
Been off the scene for a good wee while, did you manage the 7 Donalds route from Daer Reservoir yet?
gmr82
Mountain Walker

Munros:27   Corbetts:7
Fionas:21   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:3   

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:25 pm

Hi Gav

Hope all is well, I noticed you hadn't been posting/reporting lately.

The 7 from Daer remain on the "to-do" list - probably need to wait till next Spring/Summer now as I assume it will be fairly wet this time of year not to mention having enough daylight. I've been sitting on 7 Donalds (all the northern ones) for 10 months now, the thought of doubling my tally in one day sounds pretty appealling.

Enjoy your walk in Aberdeenshire next week, you've got plenty good hills to choose from.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby gmr82 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:32 pm

Oh yeah good point, 7-8 hour walk with all the driving too, aye a bit long maybe for the winter! Did my ankle in hill running, and still not confident on returning to that just yet, but have managed a couple of ascent heavy walks in the Pentlands the last couple weeks so fingers crossed. Will still probably have a fairly quiet winter though I think.
Forgot to say before re: the parking before a walk - google streetview has helped me out immensely on that one, and also great for avoiding taking the wrong turn at a junction etc too!
gmr82
Mountain Walker

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:47 pm

Ouch - I guess you need to build up the strength in the ankle slowly.

I'll add Google maps to my list of car park finding aids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby RicKamila » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:03 pm

Gordie12 wrote:I'll add Google maps to my list of car park finding aids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We parked in the car park at the centre of Tarland when we did Pressendye. Just follow the wh route through the houses and you're heading up the hill in no time.
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:30 pm

RicKamila wrote:
Gordie12 wrote:I'll add Google maps to my list of car park finding aids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We parked in the car park at the centre of Tarland when we did Pressendye. Just follow the wh route through the houses and you're heading up the hill in no time.

Thanks RicKamila - have read ChrisW's report from 2011 and he started in the middle of Tarland and it seemed to be a nice circular of 9.5 miles so I think I'll do as you suggest. Long way to travel for 1 hill so probably looking to do Craiglich at the same time - not checked it on the map but it seems to be close by.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby gmr82 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:29 pm

Yep Gordon, thats the best idea. I've not done this yet but have previously planned Pressendye and Craiglich (couple of reports combine both). You could even go for a third hill, the Sub2000 Benaquhallie (east of Pressendye) if you want an even longer day. If that total distance is a bit much you could go for the slightly less interesting there and back to Pressendye to cut out some mileage. The choice between full-on bagging mission or not!
gmr82
Mountain Walker

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:39 pm

gmr82 wrote:Yep Gordon, thats the best idea. I've not done this yet but have previously planned Pressendye and Craiglich (couple of reports combine both). You could even go for a third hill, the Sub2000 Benaquhallie (east of Pressendye) if you want an even longer day. If that total distance is a bit much you could go for the slightly less interesting there and back to Pressendye to cut out some mileage. The choice between full-on bagging mission or not!

Thanks Gav...............lob another one in for me :lol: :lol: :lol:

Benaquhallie was a new one on me but just had a look and it seems to be worth including and not far away so that looks like my next day in Aberdeenshire sorted.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland