walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Klibreck

Ben Klibreck

Postby PeteR » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:21 pm

Route description: Ben Klibreck

Munros included on this walk: Ben Klibreck

Date walked: 27/10/2013

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Day two of what was turning out to be a three day long walking weekend dawned a bit overcast at the B-n-B. British Summer Time and we were on Greenwich Mean Time again. Apparently I was able to enjoy an extra hour in bed, but surely that’s just wasted mountain time……..isn’t it? :? :lol:

I’d often wondered about how I’d get Klibreck ticked, given its lonely position far, far away (well, far, far away from where I live anyway :lol:). This weekend seemed like the perfect opportunity :D, even though it was still a bit of a drive from where I had based myself (note to self: think about booking a B-n-B more convenient for my plans rather than “winging it” and panicking at the first one I find with vacancies :crazy:)

At least on the drive up the conditions appeared to be improving, with breaks appearing in the cloud and blue sky showing. As with Wyvis the day before mine was the only car in the parking area as I parked up just before the bridge at Vagastie.
P1020447.JPG
Cloudy on Klibreck

P1020448.JPG
Vagastie bridge

Unlike Wyvis the day before there would be no excellent approach path to the hill :shock: Ordnance Survey suggest this is a proper track :lol: I’d suggest it’s a proper boggy track :lol: :lol:
P1020455.JPG
Across Strath Vagastie

Still, good progress was made and height was gained good views opened up toward Ben Loyal, a cloudy Ben Hope and Ben Hee :D Then there was Arkle and Foinaven way off in the distance :D Also the views of the lochans nan Uan and Bad an Loch are superb 8)

Once on the top of Cnoc Sgriodain Klibreck itself really came to life from a views point of view :D Really though the pictures can do all the talking :D
P1020457.JPG
Klibreck

P1020458.JPG
The Bens of Hope and Loyal

P1020463.JPG
Meall nan Con

P1020467.JPG
Klibreck #2

P1020473.JPG
Ben Loyal

P1020474.JPG
Ben Hope

P1020477.JPG
Panoramic shot

P1020480.JPG
Arkle and Foinaven

P1020485.JPG
Loch nan Uan

P1020486.JPG
Hope, Loyal and nan Uan

Still a boggy path though……and now there were peat hags too :shock:

Eventually a good path contouring round Creag an Lochain was reached. I’d say the best bit of the walk for me, as it made its way along to the saddle just below A’Chioch and the final slog to the top of Meall nan Con.
P1020490.JPG

P1020493.JPG
Ben Hee

P1020497.JPG
View to Assynt

P1020501.JPG
Panoramic shot to Creag an Lochain

P1020506.JPG
Ben Loyal

P1020507.JPG
Lone tree stump

Unfortunately clag was clinging to the summit and the final pull really was a slog, what with no views and all :(
P1020519.JPG

Another cold and windy summit was eventually reached, but with no expectation of any break in the clag I was soon turning to go back down. Just off the summit and I met the only two other walkers on the hill. After a few words I left them to their final few yards to the top and I made easy work in descent of what had been an annoying slog in ascent :lol:
P1020526.JPG
An almost cloud free Meall nan Con

P1020529.JPG
Looking east

Rather than head back exactly the way I came I chose instead to go up and over Creag an Lochain, as it was looking pretty clear at the time.

Of course, by the time I was at the top the clag had rolled in again and so any views I might have enjoyed I clearly wasn’t going to :lol:

I also discovered that, with nae views it’s an easy place to become “temporarily misplaced” in clag :lol: Eventually I managed to get myself back on track and it was a simple tramp over peat hag and bog back to Cnoc Sgriodain and the walk back out to the car.
P1020540.JPG
Ben Loyal

P1020545.JPG
Loyal again

P1020548.JPG
A still cloudy Kilbreck

All timed to perfection, as the rain started at just the point I arrived back. Just a few spits-n-spots initially, but within minutes of driving off it was stair rods :shock: Luckily the couple I’d met were almost back at their car too by the time I pulled away :D

All in all a good wee hill this one, with great views across a wild and empty plain to the Bens of Loyal and Hope :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Re: Ben Klibreck

Postby pigeon » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:30 pm

Some good pics Pete,we seen hee haw when we did this,lost my camera up there as well :( Did you visit the Crask inn?
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby Bod » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:35 pm

Nice one Pete, Valerie and I were up there too just two weeks ago.....never got the clear views, thanks for sharing. Lovely :D :D :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby joekell » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:28 pm

nice pics and good report long way till I look at klibreck but looks good thanks for the insight.
joekell
Stravaiging

Munros:46   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:8

Postby danielsutherland » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:37 pm

The lone tree is a sad reminder of how truly beautiful these lands once were.

Nice report though, hoping to head to kilbreck soon. :clap:
danielsutherland

Munros:129   Corbetts:42
Fionas:1   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:06 pm

Nice one Pete :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland