walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

QUIRAING -4 seasons within 3 hrs

QUIRAING -4 seasons within 3 hrs

Postby blueyed » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:20 pm

Route description: Quiraing, hill circuit

Date walked: 02/11/2013

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 7 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

that morning we managed to see quiraing in the clouds, mist, rain and sunshine.. and all this within only 3 hrs!

starting point for quiraing visit is a car park located along the minor road going between staffin and uig. when driving from staffin it's easy to find -there is a signpost for quiraing. it's about 5 mins drive from the main road, and you cant miss it. the single track road will take you steeply up to the cliffs height (thanks goodness it's not a busy road!) and just at the top -there is a reasonably large car park.

from the car park, take the path signposted for flodigarry.

generally, there are 2 ways of seeing quiraing. easy one -from the car park follow the flodigarry path directly to the weird rock formations and come back the same way. this will take between 1.5 - 2hrs.

there also is other way to see it -more difficult (but not much) as it involves going to the summit of quiraing.

this was what we decided to do. from the car park, still take the flodigarry path but very soon turn left and climb up the hill. at first there isn't any well defined path only grassy slope but you will be able to see where people walked. soon enough you will join a well defined path going along the cliff's edge. follow it.

during our visit, the summit was well covered by clouds and at first we did regret taking this route. but then we realised that this dance of clouds and light brought some kind of magical atmosphere. and after all we managed to see something from the top too :)

we reached the summit rather quickly, then walked down to the pass. I imagined it will be a gully of some sort that would lead us steeply back to the glen. fortunately, the path led us gently down and when we reached the edge of cliff it became steep, of course, but not for long, maybe 20 metres only. at the end of the day going down was much easier and pleasant than I anticipated.

there is one main path going underneath the impressive cliffs and dozen of smaller ones taking you to the hidden corners and rock needles. take time to explore :)

the main path goes back to the car park, the only thing I wanted to mention is a stream crossing. at one point there is one, rather awkward. summertime -no problem but in winter it might be icy and wee bit of a challenge.

steep winding road to the cliff's edge level

rather cloudy :)

quick glimpse around before more clouds come

quiraing summit

magical atmosphere

.. and finally some sunshine, at last we could see the beautiful surroundings!

who knows where the sea ends and the sky begins...

that's it, rain comes back

last glimpse before heading back home to Edinburgh

take care

Ela
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

Re: QUIRAING -4 seasons within 3 hrs

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:44 pm

What a wonderful place Skye is! thanks for posting I never get tired of looking at photographs of this area :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby joekell » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:10 pm

great post great pics, braver than me I stay tucked up in bed after setting 4 am alarm what rain lol
joekell
Stravaiging

Munros:46   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:8

Postby Musicfinder » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:42 pm

Some wonderful photographs that capture the changing weather. Well done :clap:
Musicfinder

Postby Munchie » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:56 pm

WOW blueyed/Ela some stunning, stunning photos there. Cheers for sharing.
Munchie
Mountaineer

Postby AnnieMacD » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:33 pm

Fabulous photos and looks like you made the best decision on the route. Thanks for all the tips - much appreciated!
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby blueyed » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:28 pm

MY PLEASURE GUYS, I LOVE SKYE :)
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

Postby Cecilia » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:30 pm

Thanks for the tips! Will be coming from Canada to give it a try. Stunning photos!
Cecilia
Mountaineer

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland