walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Snow, Snow, Snow, on my 50th Munro

Snow, Snow, Snow, on my 50th Munro

Postby GillC » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:50 pm

Munros included on this walk: Meall a' Choire Lèith, Meall Corranaich

Date walked: 03/11/2013

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 1347m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Todays mission, was to complete the 7 Munros on the Lawers Range. I'd already done 2, but Tomsie had the whole group to get, so a couple of repeats to get another 5 and break my half century. The forecast had been pretty ropey,, high winds, snow and cloud.

Heading off in two cars just after 5am, to Lawers Hotel, drop off my car with the dry clothes, then to the top of Lochan na Lairige (reservoir) in Johns. Still dark at around 6:45am, snow on Meall nan Tarmachan to our left, and Corranaich on the right

Parked up under the cairn, views of the lightening sky and Vorlich /Stuc a Chroin to the South. Ready for the off at 6:55am. We could hear stags bellowing in the distance, are they STILL at it????

1 Sunrise is coming.jpg
Sunrise is coming

We were on an obvious path but didnt seem to tie in with the Steve Fallon route that John had on the GPS,,so we ended up doubling back to cross a VERY boggy area, Think the path would probably arc round to where we ended up,,but even the path was boggy too, so no real difference.

Approaching Allt Gleann Da-Eig, we started looking for ways to cross,,,but if you go down to the small weir/dam, you can cross just below. Shortly after, we saw several large herds of deer, amazing how close you can get and how low down they were even after sunrise.

Our first hill, Meall a Choire Leith was up to our left, with Corranaich to the right, both shrouded in snow. It was pretty much daylight now, around 7:35am, as we headed up into Coire Gorm and the ascent up the slopes of a'Choire Leith. John zig zagging,,,me a bit more zagging lol

1 Sunrise is coming.jpg
Sunrise is coming

2 Man of the mountains.jpg
Man of the mountains

3 Meall nan Tarmachan in the sun.JPG
Meall nan Tarmachan in the sun

The route on the GPS had you hitting the top of the slope then doubling back on yourself to the summit. We just opted to go straight up, coming out on a flattish summit with the cairn a little way ahead at 926mtrs. The wind was whipping up and we could see a grey mass coming our way, so a couple of summit pics taken,,Munro 49 for me, and off we went.

4 Views North West.JPG
Views North West

5 Top of Meall a Choire Leith.jpg
Top of Meall a Choire Leith

On top of an absolutely glorious snowy landscape, visibility was fantastic in all directions. We could see the whole of our intended route for the day, except the last hill, Meall Greigh which was somewhere behind An Stuc and Lawers. We could see the twin cairns on Lawers and the top of our next hill, Corranaich. John had forgotten his camera and mine was on its last legs, think we got by though, with that and our phones.

Heading South and down to Coire Liath, skirting along the edge before starting the climb up the shoulder of Corranaich. At this point, the grey mass of snow storm overtook us, the only point today when snow actually fell from the sky, plenty others where it was whipped up off the ground at us though, didn't last long, made sure we had our snow layers on by this time (I'd managed to get by with a soft shell until now)

6 Over to Corranaich.JPG
Over to Corranaich

7 Back down to a Choire Leith.JPG
Back down to a Choire Leith

8 Solitary bloke.JPG
Solitary bloke

9 Heading up to the windy top.jpg
Heading up to the windy top

10 Lawers and Ghlas.JPG
Lawers and Ghlas

The summit is out of sight from here,,so we followed on up and drew level with a rocky top, sticking up through the snow at 984mtrs. The top of Corranaich is now off to the SSW and was clearly visible but seemed a long way away. The wind was whipping up to its promised 85kmph and as we trudged up in the deep snow, crusting over with ice in the wind, we had several stops where you just couldn't lift a foot off the ground without getting blown sideways. Progress was slow. The surrounding landscape was looking fantastic, sun and cloud moving across the brilliant white hills, as we fought our way through the wind and snow, very deep in places. I tended to use Johns footprints but on one occasion,,I was blown about a foot to the side and ended up with my entire right leg down in the snow lol hard work at times. And I did look up at one point to see John leaning bodily into the wind at some impossible angle. :lol:

The summit was just ahead and we could see the frozen fence post sticking up. Munro 50, here I come. We arrived at the summit, 1069mtrs, time check 10:52am, wind still very strong but glorious sunshine, with a wee celebratory sandwich and a few pics, sorted.

11 Lawers.JPG
Lawers

There are signs of the old fenceline heading down off the top, where you drop about 200mtrs, some of which we did by bum travel lol Good fun. Cross the burn of Edramucky at around 890-900mtrs.

12 Top of Corranaich, Munro 50.jpg
Top of Corranaich, Munro 50

The path that skirts Beinn Ghlas had several people on it. I'd used this as my descent from Lawers a couple of years ago, having gone over the top of Ghlas. At this point, a cunning plan came to mind,,with my baggers head on, there's no point in me scaling the steep side of BG if I didnt have to lol,,,John,,you're on your own! (and quicker than me) I suggested I saunter round on the path, crossing diagonally in the shade of Creag nan Ghabar and Beinn Ghlas to the Beallach, now in full sun. Done deal, John headed UP and I went ROUND. Stopped to chat to a couple and their lovely big retriever who were sheltering for a lunch stop under a huge boulder.

13 Looking back up to Corranaich from under Ghlas.jpg
Looking back up to Corranaich from under Ghlas

I had seen 2-3 people ahead, just reaching the beallach, so headed off, following in their footprints. Couple of boggy bits beneath the snow and a few small burns, given away only buy the sound of their gurgling. Looking back a few times, I was able to see John climbing up over the top of the Creag to the summit, then he disappeared from view. I took my time heading over the path, few pics taken on my wee broken camera,,now on its last legs, (Note to Santa!)

I saw the party of 3 now heading back my way, surely they hadnt been to the top already? On meeting up, the lead chap advised they turned back at the beallach due to the wind. Couple with dog passed us as we chatted, then off I went again. Still no sign of John up on Ghlas, hope he hadn't been blown off!! :shock:

14 Over to Lawers from under Ghlas.jpg
Over to Lawers from under Ghlas

Getting back into the sunny beallach had pros and cons, lovely and sunny but out of the shelter the strong wind picked up. I made my way, slowly, to a big rock where the couple and dog were sheltering,,needed to get my hat and thicker gloves back on,,back of my head was getting a pounding lol.

I could see John coming off Ghlas so I headed up behind the couple on the steep ascent, right of Creag Loisgte, not the normal route but as they had headed round to the North, the wind was way too strong . As we made our way up, John caught up and overtook me. There were some narrow ledges of snow here, above a gradual slope with soft snow,,but still,,careful footing required. (nice to see where others have slipped lol you know where to avoid lol)

The wind by now was SILLY strong, couldn't move for minutes at a time and almost lying down at some points to stop getting blown away. We had a brief, shouted, discussion about continuing on over to An Stuc etc and decided that speed and progress was so hampered by the wind,,it would not have been sensible. So, again, me having done Lawers, John suggested he move on up to cover the last yards (prob around 50??) and I make my way back down to the beallach. Half a minute later, I looked back and John had given up and was following me down. Shame but really think it was for the best,,had visions of him disappearing off the top,,and he had the car keys!

The couple with the dog had made the same decision and were slightly behind us at the point where we had to grab hold of each others jackets just to stay put, sitting in the snow,,watching the big golden retriever 'playing' in the wind!!!

Getting down off the beallach and on to the narrow path back down, it was still very windy but at least we were on our way down. We used the boulder we had seen the couple in earlier, popped in, got dripped on by icicles, but managed another sandwich and some coffee,,still hot enough to drink. We reached the top of Edramucky at about 1:35pm and headed off down the path, now in sun again, hats & gloves off. John suggested that we could make our way back over Corranaich to be higher up the road and nearer to his car. But we ended up just heading down the main path, taking an hour in the sun. Turned right and headed up towards the Lochan with the car at the top.

Dumping our bags behind a rock, we were able to step out. Mostly uphill, with a steep bit just approaching the dam wall. We plodded on, another hour so probably about 3 miles in all on the road. Tarmac walking is not fun! Tried out some new and new-to-me kit today,,boots fine, new jacket, cosy, ice-axe,,didnt make it off my pack! Feet felt fine all day, dry and comfy,,although they were wet when I took my socks off,,go figure!

We passed a few walkers coming down the hill, probably having come off where we would have been had we returned over the hill. With a few cars now parked up in the layby at the Cairn, we drove back down, picked up our packs and off to the Lawers Hotel, and my car.

The Lawers Hotel have a sign,,walkers can use the lower car park if they make a purchase in the hotel later in the day,,otherwise, they have a £5 charge, (not sure how they police that) We had already decided,,as it was still quite early, to have a meal there anyway. Wonderful place, comfy, warm, (log burner) great menu. A wee drink and a steak panini and chips,,,well earned.

15 Shadow pic, heading for Lawers.jpg
Shadow pic, heading for Lawers

Thanks to John for organising the route and for accompanying me on my milestone 50th Munro. So we didn't get all 7 done,, but they will remain for another day. Already planning the best route and camping locations.

Now, considering I started this year on 23 Munros, having no plans whatsoever to 'bag' them all. I was pretty impressed with myself. My turning point was probably Scoob and Fi's compleation on Stob Dearg on September 28th and hitting 40 Munros the following day on Criese, before I actually gave any realistic thought to doing them all. Now, here I am 27 more done this year with a few more planned for the forthcoming Kinlochleven meet this weekend.

Can't keep this girl down! :clap:
Last edited by GillC on Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:14 am, edited 4 times in total.
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Re: Snow, Snow, Snow, on my 50th Munro , Lawers Range

Postby Tomsie » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:25 am

Well done again on the 50 :clap: :clap: .

Yeah another good day except for the wind :(

Think Ghlas had taken all my energy was a struggle to walk off it never mind up it :lol:

Think our weather gods might run out this weekend though :?
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:26 pm

Congratulations on reaching your 50 munros, now for the rest, Bring it on! :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby GillC » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:41 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Congratulations on reaching your 50 munros, now for the rest, Bring it on! :)

wellll, maybe not this year lol Have a half baked plan to finish in April 2017,,,BIG birthday (to match my current Munro count lol)
Doable,,yes im sure it is.
GillC
Munro compleatist

Postby stuart mclovin » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:31 pm

well done.

I was attempting Stuc a' Chroin on Saturday from Loch Lubnaig, was an absolute blizzard when I got up to Beinn Each and had to turn back when I was halfway onto Stuc, couldn't make out a thing beyond 10metres and the wind was howling.
stuart mclovin
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby GillC » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:43 pm

stuart mclovin wrote:well done.

I was attempting Stuc a' Chroin on Saturday from Loch Lubnaig, was an absolute blizzard when I got up to Beinn Each and had to turn back when I was halfway onto Stuc, couldn't make out a thing beyond 10metres and the wind was howling.

Thanks Stuart,,at least we had fab views, despite the wind and ice in the eyes,,,goggles on order!
GillC
Munro compleatist

Postby AnnieMacD » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:13 pm

Great report, Gill. I really enjoyed reading it and congratulations on the big FIVE-ZERO. Your photos are great despite the camera being on its last legs - although one can't see the wind I could feel it through your words!
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby martin.h » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:48 pm

Well done on reaching your 50 Gill.
I hope your Kinlochleven meet allows good conditions for you to realise your plans. Stay safe.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Postby Backpacker » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:59 pm

Congrats on reaching the half ton
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Re: Snow, Snow, Snow, on my 50th Munro

Postby brpro26 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:09 pm

Got these 2 bagged on Monday...weather was much improved. Clear all around with panoramic views to the surrounding hills. A bit boggy right enough but that's what gaiters are for. Great wee ridge walk in the snow. Wouldn't have fancied it in the windy conditions you had. An Stuc would have been interesting in that direction.
Well done on the 50 mark press on to the next milestone. :clap:
brpro26

Munros:220   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Postby quoman » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:25 pm

Well done Gill on the 50th i thought it wouldnt take you long to reach it.after our last walk. :clap: :clap:
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby CatoTheYounger » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:33 pm

Lovely snow on a 50th Munro whither high or low the memories still grow, congratulations on your 50th Munro. So much more to go :wink:
CatoTheYounger
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:82
Fionas:89   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:149   Hewitts:105
Wainwrights:183   Islands:2

Postby GillC » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:12 am

CatoTheYounger wrote:Lovely snow on a 50th Munro whither high or low the memories still grow, congratulations on your 50th Munro. So much more to go :wink:

Hahahaha well done, you're a natural poet :clap:
GillC
Munro compleatist

Postby joekell » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:20 pm

Well done and happy 50th great report lawers range looking great with winter regalia.
joekell
Stravaiging

Munros:46   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:8

Postby scottishkennyg » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:55 pm

The 50 milestone, well done and good job given the conditions..
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland