walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Craiglich Hillwalk

Craiglich Hillwalk

Postby Sound_City » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:47 am

Route description: Craiglich, near Tarland

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Craiglich

Date walked: 04/11/2013

Time taken: 1.75 hours

Distance: 4.5 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was looking for a reasonable hill walk in the space of a few hours and thought I'd have a go with Craiglich being fairly close to where I live. Weather was glorious for this time of year so the walk was definitely on.
After parking the car at the layby north east of the Queens' view (Map Ref NJ526063) I set off over the wooden gate at roadside and followed up the left side, the track then bending round to the right and heading up to the next gate at top end of the grass field. Once climbing the stile to the right of the gate it's a straightforward following of the track.
Resize Gate.jpg
Gate at the top of the grass field

Some 20 mins or so later there is a track heading off up to the left which is marked with a small cairn. Take this route.
rsz_1sam_0844.jpg
Left turn here!

A short steep climb up the track soon levels off then climbs slightly again before you reach the summit. Here, the Trig point and a stone memorial which has partially collapsed can be found. I got some great photos while here and had some lunch before heading back down the same way, taking approx. 1 3/4 hours overall.
A great walk and I made it back just in time before the rain came but it was a top day for the walk and I will come here again.
Attachments
rsz_sam_0826.jpg
Trig Point and Memorial
Sound_City
Mountain Walker

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:7   

Re: Craiglich Hillwalk

Postby Sarah86 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:21 pm

That looks an enjoyable walk, with the days getting shorter these walks are ideal
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby Sound_City » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:11 pm

Yeah that's true, this walk was enjoyable, nice and simple with great views. There are plenty of these smaller hills to walk for this time of year.
Sound_City
Mountain Walker

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:7   

Postby RicKamila » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:50 pm

Been up here a couple of times now. Great little hill with stunning views. Highly recommended in Summer on a clear day!!
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland