walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Monadhliath 3

Monadhliath 3

Postby gman » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:44 pm

Route description: Monadh Liath Munros: Càrn Dearg, Càrn Sgulain & A' Chailleach

Munros included on this walk: A' Chailleach (Monadhliath), Càrn Dearg (Monadhliath), Càrn Sgulain

Date walked: 04/11/2013

Time taken: 7.1 hours

Distance: 25 km

Ascent: 978m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

monadhliath actual.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Nice walk along Glen Banchor at the start of this route, popular with dog walkers. Good landy track up to the Allt Fionndrigh.

Turned right just before it and headed up the right hand side of the allt.

Track gets muddier further up, I was actually thinking of doing this in trainers so glad I had boots instead. Down to cross over the allt & get to Gleann Ballach:

Boggy and pathless up Gleann Ballach.

Carn Dearg looking good in the snow, route goes up the easy slope on the right hand side.

Braved the peat hags & got to to the easy slope.

Snow getting firmer higher up, cairn:

Looking back down to the boggy walk up Gleann Ballach.

South top.

View south west.

Then turned round and went back towards Carn Ban.

Fence posts lead all the way from Carn Ban to the next Munro, Carn Sgulain. Quite a few minor tops to get over on the way and I was realising that walking in snow uses muscles that have fallen into disrepair over the summer.

Carn Dearg again.

Views in the other direction are less inspiring, A'Chailleach on the right and Carn Sgulain on the left seem miles away. Still, there's plenty of bog hidden under the snow to keep things interesting :D .

Couple of cairns on Sgulain, met another walker here who had come up for the 2 Munros on this side.

Then back and round to A'Chailleach.

More snow-covered bog.

Impressive cairn.

Descent route follows the ridge, then left at the first bealach.

More muddy tracks going down to the Allt a'Chaorainn, which was in full flow but there are a few places with stepping stones.

Back on a nice dry path further down, met a dog walker here who had been at the car park earlier and was back to give his dog more exercise.

Enjoyed these more than I expected, everything looks more dramatic in the snow and the glens are a bit special.
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Monadhliath 3

Postby Peter913 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:02 pm

Nice images and report just the right amount of snow sun and cloud to make landscape shots well done looked a great day what camera do you use

Peter
Peter913
Mountaineer

Corbetts:1

Postby gman » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:37 pm

Cheer, it's a Nikon D40. I used a polarising filter but probably need a new one because I lost my lens cap in a gust of wind at the first cairn :lol: .
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:26 pm

Once past the peat hags it's a great walk, only a couple of months since I was there but it looks like a different world now!!

Great pics.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:54 pm

That's a fair old dump of snow! What a difference a bit of the white stuff makes with the photographs, splendid stuff. I must get out there again when there has been a hard frost beforehand. Looks like you had a fine day for it. :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland