walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Trig Point Toodle-oo

Trig Point Toodle-oo

Postby tweedledog » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:07 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn a' Bhuiridh

Date walked: 04/11/2013

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 10.3 km

Ascent: 564m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Call me uninformed (I have lived a sheltered life), but I've only just discovered that there is an army of Trig Point baggers out there. Is there no end to the British collecting impulse? This discovery makes me even more inclined to institute a society of Lairig baggers as per my last report.

In fact, my encounter with Trig Point bagging is not unconnected with last week's expedition to Lairig Torran and our failure to persuade The Whippet's paws through the boulderfield beneath the summit of Beinn a' Bhuiridh. With The Whippet smarting at this defeat I had thought to look at the possibility of reaching the summit via the mountain's east ridge. So, when our weekend visitor left at Monday lunchtime, and with mostly blue skies and chilly sunshine, we set off once more up Coire Ghlais for a reconnaissance. Our target was the Trig Point on Monadh Driseig.

Track_2013-11-04 171616.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This time, however, instead of keeping going to the end of the newly bulldozed track, we left it at NN119292 and headed up toward the bealach near the east end of the ridge at NN124289. But, I hear you cry, why didn't you just go straight up the hillside from the quarry lower down? This is, after all, a standard route of descent from Beinn a' Bhuiridh. Well, for one thing we got an additional 50m of ascent in on the good track before taking off into the bog, rivulets and grass. And for another, looking at the contours suggested that the angled ascent would be less of a slog. Close readers of the map above will note that we did descend by the direct route to the quarry, an experience which confirmed my supposition. I'd prefer our route of ascent any time.
As we climbed we got a reminder of last week's visit to Lairig Torran:
DSC_0002.jpg
Coire Ghlais, Lairig Torran and Beinn a' Bhuiridh's boulderfield slope to the left

And across to the north, Beinn Eunaich and Lairig Lanachain separating it from Beinn a' Chochuill.
DSC_0003.jpg

Once the bealach was reached views to the east opened up.
DSC_0011.jpg
Strath Orchy and a snow-capped Ben Lui

After that it was just a question of heading up the shoulder in a broadly SW direction, somewhat steeply at first but then easing off around the 450m mark. And there it was, some way across to the left: the trig point at 641m. Bagged! The Whippet, who considers such objects to be specially placed weeing posts, gave it a close inspection.
DSC_0016.jpg
Whippet, trig point, and Loch Awe

And to the NE, another view up Strath Orchy toward Ben Lui.
DSC_0025.jpg

The Whippet meanwhile had his eyes on an ascent of Beinn a' Bhuiridh which was poised invitingly so near and yet (given that it would be dark soon) so far.
DSC_0023.jpg
Beinn a' Bhuiridh and just beyond it Lairig Torran

After much hanging about taking pictures and enjoying the last rays of sunshine, we were encouraged by a chill wind to head back down toward the bealach. Evening light on Strath Orchy and Loch Awe was spectacular.
DSC_0036.jpg
Kilchurn Castle and the road and rail bridges at the head of the loch

Until the level of the loch was lowered in the early nineteenth century Kilchurn Castle stood on an island with an underwater causeway linking it to the banks of the loch, though I don't know where the causeway ran. Anybody know? Perhaps along the present approach?
DSC_0038.jpg
Not the normal angle of a Kilchurn Castle picture

With darkness now coming quickly we opted for the direct route down from the bealach, heading towards the remains of a building next to the now water-filled old quarry. Much deep grass and unfriendly tussocks to be negotiated and pounced among. As it grew darker, a mysterious rainbow appeared in front of the slopes of Ben Lui.
DSC_0055.jpg

Then, back down the good track which, happily, is easily negotiated in the dark. As he climbed into the car I had to promise The Whippet that we would return to ensure he could add Beinn a' Bhuiridh to his collection. Me, I'm going for Trig Points.
Last edited by tweedledog on Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tweedledog
Wanderer

Re: Trig Point Toodle-oo

Postby laconic surf » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:38 pm

Ooh, I confess to be a trig point collector particularly on the lower hills, HuMPs, sub 2ks etc. The holy grail to collect is apparently down in Norfolk, site of the worlds only below sea level trig point. I've yet to find it... :wink:
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

Postby dogplodder » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:36 pm

Nice to see The Whippet out enjoying the autumn sun before the snow came! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Sarah86 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:03 pm

Lovely set of photos, there is such a nice light at this time of year. Really love the shots looking down to Kilchurn Castle.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby tweedledog » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:38 pm

dogplodder wrote:Nice to see The Whippet out enjoying the autumn sun before the snow came! :D

How are your two in the snow? He's remarkably tolerant of it, but being a whippet needs to wear heavy clothing! And even though he has built-in crampons, I can't hope to manage him, my crampons and an ice-axe. So it's relatively low level for us now.
tweedledog
Wanderer

Postby Neil1314 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:21 pm

Really nice pictures, great light. I have to confess I'm a secret Trig Point bagger as well, I'm glad to see there are others out there doesn't make me feel so alone!!!

Neil
Neil1314
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby WalkingDutchman » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:44 am

laconic surf wrote:site of the worlds only below sea level trig point. I've yet to find it...

:lol: Your world is small... never been to the Netherlands I suppose? :lol:

On-topic: Tweedledog, love your reports and to see The Whippet out there on the hills. Wish I could take mine out, but one of them's too arthtritic to do much more than an hour (or two, with painkillers), and as for the other: there's not that many hills out here :(
Beautiful shots of that castle!
WalkingDutchman
Wanderer

Postby chompish » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:04 pm

laconic surf wrote:Ooh, I confess to be a trig point collector particularly on the lower hills, HuMPs, sub 2ks etc. The holy grail to collect is apparently down in Norfolk, site of the worlds only below sea level trig point. I've yet to find it... :wink:

http://www.yourlocalweb.co.uk/cambridge ... n-britain/

Cambridgeshire it would appear
chompish
Mountaineer

Munros:9   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:10   

Postby laconic surf » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:11 pm

chompish wrote:
laconic surf wrote:Ooh, I confess to be a trig point collector particularly on the lower hills, HuMPs, sub 2ks etc. The holy grail to collect is apparently down in Norfolk, site of the worlds only below sea level trig point. I've yet to find it... :wink:

http://www.yourlocalweb.co.uk/cambridge ... n-britain/

Cambridgeshire it would appear

Oh well done. Explains why i've not found it Norfolk then :wink: That's a bizarre sight, isn't it...
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland