walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Whinlatter from visitor centre

Whinlatter from visitor centre

Postby richardkchapman » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:22 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Whinlatter

Date walked: 30/10/2013

Time taken: 2

Distance: 6 km

Ascent: 255m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With my sister Janet and her husband Paul having unexpectedly joined us last night, and wanting a morning's walking before they headed on up to Scotland, we decided to do the short stroll up Whinlatter (the fell) from the visitor center at the top of Whinlatter (the pass).

Because it was such a short walk, we didn't bother with packed lunches - unfortunately this threw us out of our routine enough that we also left behind the backpack with the dogs' leads in and my camera - so all the photos in this thread are from Sarah's iPhone.

We've hardly used the dogs leads on this holiday, but of course today starting the walk through the playgrounds and forest trails at Whinlatter we did rather need them - we had to improvise with a bungee cord found in the back of the car for Sapphie, and a walking stick fastened to her collar for Gem.

Through the forest

In theory the start of the walk - from the visitor centre to the Horsebox CrossRoads - should have been simple enough on a marked trail. But the marked trail was a circular one, and we confidently set off along it in the wrong direction before realising our mistake - fortunately before we had gone too far.

Horsebox Crossroads

Horsebox Crossroads is pretty distinctive and provided confirmation for the doubters in our party that I did actually know where I was going.

Forest colours

The first half of the walk is on easy gradients along forest roads.

Muddy dogs

Forest road

At the end of the forest road there is a clearing carved into the hillside - presumably it is to allow vehicles to turn

Stony bank

Turning space

After this a stile leads out onto the open hillside, and the one bit of steepish ascent.

Grisedale Pike

Mushrooms!

Paul climbing the 'steep' bit

Very quickly the top of the ridge was reached.

Along the ridge

Through the heather

The walk along the top of the ridge was lovely, with views of the Lord's Seat fells we had climbed a few days before, as wells as views over Grisedale Pike and Hopegill Head.

Boggy patch on the ridge

Panorama

After a pleasant short stroll we reached the highest point of the fell, but not the official summit which is half a mile further on.

Near the East summit

View from the ridge

Ladyside Pike and Hopegill Head, from Whinlatter

Thomas catching up

Looking back along the ridge

Approaching the summit

At the summit there is a nice shelter, and we paused for chocolate before turning to retrace our steps back to the car. Normally I prefer to find a different decent route from the ascent, but there were really none available given our time constraints.

Whinlatter summit panorama

Thomas at the summit

Sapphie

Skiddaw in cloud, as usual

Ladyside Pike and Hopegill Head, from Whinlatter

On the walk down the 'steep bit' Gem had to be dissuaded from eating the mushrooms - I don't know if they are poisonous but they certainly look deadly!

Fallen mushroom

Past the clearing where we paused for a group photo (but not on this phone) - then back to the cars and off to the pub for lunch.

A very pleasant, easy walk, perfect for a spare morning.

Tree growing in the rocks
Attachments

Track_WHINLATTER.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

richardkchapman
Mountaineer

Grahams:1   
Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:190   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland