walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Sgulaird on a beautifull day

Ben Sgulaird on a beautifull day

Postby jonny616 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:08 pm

Route description: Beinn Sgulaird

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Sgulaird

Date walked: 08/03/2010

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 1240m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After the disapointment of the previous weekend I left Glasgow on at 6am to meet Glen at Crianlarich, just us two as all our other walking pals were working. (Ha Ha). As the clear night departed & sun came up it was going to be a great day.
PICT0004.JPG
Ben More

We took our time driving to Druimavuic & kept stopping to take photo's of those elusive 'cloud free Munro's' & fantastic scenery.
PICT0006.JPG
Across Loch Creran

Set of up the track through the woods at 9:30. Out of the woods & look for the small cairn which was easily spotted for once! Headed up ridge with the views opening up behind us. Hardly any snow around.
PICT0009.JPG
Rising above the loch

As we reached the 488 point the views realy opened up & a lot of time was used up taking photo's. Glen had his fancy dan thing with big lens. When you first see the drop from there it's oh sh*t, but the path heads of left & down fairly easily.
PICT0010.JPG
Summit peaking out
Over the fence & up & away again with patches of snow starting to apear
PICT0018.JPG
First bit of snow
. After a silly moment on icy snow look for a spot to put on the crampons so picked our way carefully to the first top at 863 as the snow was still patchy.
PICT0026.JPG
Crampons on at 800 meters
The views were just stunning all around.
PICT0027.JPG
Meall Garbth & Beinn Sgulaird ahead

Droped steply down & more easily over the mini hump before climbing again to a point with a smallish cairn. Watching our step as there was some blocks of snow that would have been more risky if it had been fresh, but it had a good solid crust to bite into.
PICT0030.JPG
Above or below?
There were tracks from the weekend, presumably, because apart from a nice chap with his dog who we chated to in the layby we never saw another soul all day.

With all the views distracting us & a clear root, we had not taken much notice of the notes & at the top of Meall Garbth tried to convince ourselves that the big thing in front must be another mountain! Sadly not. So steaply down again followed by a lovely rigde to the summit.
PICT0034.JPG
Ridge to the summit
OMG just stunning. At this point i would like to give a nod to 'Doogz' as his report title says 'keep it for a good day'. They don't come much better than Monday. Although i would like to add 3 hours 41 minutes, you aint human!
PICT0038.JPG
On the cairn

Had lunch at the summit & after much photo's headed down & up & down & up & down to the bealach with the fence. In sted of heading back up to point 488 we droped down to the track & then followed it back to the car.
PICT0040.JPG
View north from summit
PICT0043.JPG
View with soup
PICT0044.JPG
The Cruachan
PICT0047.JPG
High cloud coming in
PICT0053.JPG
Just above the trees again
PICT0056.JPG
Wow

Back to Crianlarich & in to the Hotel for a much needed beverage & hot pot for Glen. Home 9pm long but rewarding day.
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Re: Ben Sgulaird on a beautifull day

Postby kevsbald » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:53 pm

What a cracking last pic you got there - stunning.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Alastair S » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:08 pm

Great report & photos!

Weather has been brilliant here (Aberdeenshire) so far this week but I'm stuck at work :( Looks set to break to! but the weekend still looks good. Going to book a day off for next week & hope to go up Broad Cairn...
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby jonny616 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:29 pm

kevsbald wrote:What a cracking last pic you got there - stunning.

Cheers. I can't wait to see the ones Glen took on his SLR
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Postby jonny616 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:32 pm

Alastair S wrote:Great report & photos!

Weather has been brilliant here (Aberdeenshire) so far this week but I'm stuck at work :( Looks set to break to! but the weekend still looks good. Going to book a day off for next week & hope to go up Broad Cairn...

Hope it holds for you. I'm out again next Monday. Maybe Arrochar Alps.
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Postby Paul Webster » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:46 pm

Great hill IMO - and you've done it justice :thumbup: .
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Graeme D » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:51 pm

Wow indeed! Sgulaird has just jumped onto page 1 of the to do list! :lol: Great report and lovely shots, not just the last one (although it does stand out!)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby mountain coward » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:59 pm

Some great pics there - especially like the 2 sunsets at the end... After doing that in summer on a boiling hot day, I think you're right to have done it in winter. There was quite a bit of clambering about on blocky stuff in summer between the 3 summits which I'm sure the snow will have smoothed out. There's a stupendous amount of snow below the main summit isn't there?! I'd have gone for above (which you looked to have done)...
mountain coward

Postby jonny616 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:08 am

mountain coward wrote:Some great pics there - especially like the 2 sunsets at the end... After doing that in summer on a boiling hot day, I think you're right to have done it in winter. There was quite a bit of clambering about on blocky stuff in summer between the 3 summits which I'm sure the snow will have smoothed out. There's a stupendous amount of snow below the main summit isn't there?! I'd have gone for above (which you looked to have done)...

Correct above it was. As we clamberd up & down over the three peaks we did think the snow was making it easier in some ways.
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Postby yokehead » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:35 pm

Great report, this is indeed a smashing hill whose qualities are perhaps a little unsung (ssshhh keep it quiet!). I was here a month ago, report coming soon!
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland