walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Reamhar & Meall nan Caorach

Meall Reamhar & Meall nan Caorach

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:12 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Meall nan Caorach, Meall Reamhar

Date walked: 23/11/2013

Time taken: 3.3 hours

Distance: 12.1 km

Ascent: 617m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having completed Meall Dearg at first light I was able to set off from Amulree at 10.30. A bit more sun around now and it looked like the weather would be good for the rest of the day.

Walked out of Amulree on the A822 heading towards Gilmerton looking for a farm track heading off to the left which would take me to Girron. The farm track is in good condition and as there are no tracks on Meall Dearg it's good to be able to cover a bit of ground at decent speed for the first time today. Beside the farm I stopped to check the map as the track seemed to be heading too far East but it looked like there would be a big right hand turn further ahead so just carried on and sure enough I was soon heading between my two target hills.

1.jpg
Looking back towards the A822

2.jpg
Looking back to Girron

The gradient was decent to keep a good pace going and it didn't take long to reach the beallach between the two hills. As the reports said, there is a nice new fence heading straight up Meall Reamhar so I just followed it all the way to the summit (obviously choosing the wrong side with all the left over wire from the old fence to watch out for - that's the far side from Amulree).

3.jpg
Looking back to Amulree

4.jpg
Loch Freuchie

5.jpg
View from the summit of Meall Reamhar

6.jpg

7.jpg
Looking over to Meall nan Caorach

Took the opposite side of the fence back down, crossed the track and then headed up the older fence line of Meall nan Caorach. These two climbs get the heart rate up and the legs were jelly by the time I got to the top.

9.jpg
Meall nan Caorach summit

10.jpg

11.jpg
Windmills everywhere

Instead of heading back down to the beallach between the two Grahams I headed over to Creag Ghorm before wandering downhill to pick up the track again.

12.jpg
Creag Ghorm

Time for a sandwich as I headed back to Girron and the main road back to Amulree.

13.jpg
Meall nan Caorach and Meall Reamhar from the road

Having read wjshaw2's report I can confirm that in 3 hours I saw..................sheep!!

Nice couple of hills though.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Re: Meall Reamhar & Meall nan Caorach

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:32 pm

Missed you by just over a week! Nice wee jaunt, pity about all the left over wire, will it be picked up?doubt it :(
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:56 pm

Hi Rod

I was impressed with your time for these two - I think you must have ran up the glen............

Wasn't really that bothered about the loose wire on the way up but I was careful on the way down not to get tangled up otherwise I could have arrived at the bottom quicker than intended. :shock:
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby paz1953 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:19 am

Area between the A822 and the bridge on the track to Girron widened considerably for works traffic replacing pylons, so plenty of parking space available. Cracking half day walk with wonderful views all round.
paz1953
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:98   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:165
Wainwrights:214   Islands:12

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland