walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Big Ben Lui

Big Ben Lui

Postby David.Ferguson » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:02 am

Route description: Ben Lui and Beinn a'Chlèibh

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chlèibh, Ben Lui

Date walked: 07/03/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 7 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Last minute decision on Saturday night to head out on Sunday and do something.As i am working my way up the country i plumped for Ben Lui. It turned out i managed to pick the one day from the last fortnight that there were cloudy summits and not great visibility.

I arrived at the A85 parking space for 9am and was immediately followed in by a Mountain rescue landrover and 3 x minibuses.Luckily they were there on a training exercise,no emergency.I think my wife or mum must be phoning these guys and asking them to keep an eye on me,thats the last 2 hills had Mountain Rescue folks in close proximity. :?

Anyway,off i went over the Lochay (kept dry) and up through the forest.Now i was following the route from walkhighlands but when i got to the point where i had to head up the Fionn Choire i chose not to as i could only see one set of prints through the foot deep snow whereas the path up the Eas Daimh had a well defined path in the deep snow,i took the well defined path,a route i would regret when i hit the hillside on the other side of the forest.

Ben Lui 001.jpg
Just leaving the car,clouds right down on the hills.

Ben Lui 003.jpg
Deep snow up through the forest.

Out of the forest and on up the hillside.I had 2 sets of folks in front winding there way uphill,i met them about an hour later on their way down as they could not negotiate some of the large ice patches on the way up.(no crampons)

Ben Lui 005.jpg
Following the Eas Daimh brings you out to a very steep hillside.

After i met the second group i decided to traverse round the hill towards Fionn Choiren to meet the route detailed on this site,this was a good move.Not nearly as steep and easier going with little ice and the snow was not so deep and much firmer.
Marching up into the clag with little to see makes the climb feel like it goes on forever.I really had to push myself to continue,those little gremlins were telling me it was ok to give up and come back another day. :x

Anyway,i made it and with fleeting views at least i had something to photograph.

Ben Lui 013.jpg
Honestly there is an Adonis under those layers.(just a fat one)

Ben Lui 016.jpg
The Southeast Summit.

I headed down southwest through knee deep snow fields and did not get a single glimpse of Beinn a'Chleibh all day.

Ben Lui 019.jpg
The best view of Beinn a'Chleibh.

I had decided to save Beinn a 'Chleibh for another day as i did not think my calves could take another "burn" so just headed down from the bealach.Watching the mountain rescue folks "practising" on my way down.

Ben Lui 023.jpg
Mountain rescue training.Large group in the centre of the photograph.

Although knackered i had another great day,need to get off that number 13 completion now,don't want any bad luck.
David.Ferguson
Munro compleatist

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Re: Big Ben Lui

Postby Lochivraon » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:45 pm

Well done for pushing on! Shame about the clag. Nice shot of the SE summit.
Lochivraon

Postby billgerrie » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:32 pm

You were unlucky with the weather, we were up Beinn Bhuide the day before and had great views all day.
In fact the best bit was seeing Ben Lui from the cottage, as described in the Walkhighland notes.
Allways good to know you are going the right way.
How did you manage across the river at the bottom, without getting your feet wet?
One of these days I'll get around to writing a report!
billgerrie
Munro compleatist

Munros:151   Corbetts:14
Donalds:4

Postby David.Ferguson » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:53 pm

Scarpa SLM3's and stepping stones.These are great boots for keeping the water out.
The river was pretty low as well,no serious thaw at that point.
David.Ferguson
Munro compleatist

Postby David.Ferguson » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:35 pm

Cheers Lochivraon.Amazing the difference some snow makes to the difficulty of a walk.
David.Ferguson
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland