walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Mhanach, magic for me

Beinn Mhanach, magic for me

Postby Frigate » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:47 pm

Route description: Beinn Mhanach

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Mhanach

Date walked: 24/11/2013

Time taken: 6.99 hours

Distance: 21.5 km

Ascent: 992m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Beinn Mhanach does not appear the rate too highly in some opinions, even WH describes it as an undistinguished rounded lump.
There are more hills similar to it which get more praise, some in the southern cairngorms are very much the same but on a greater scale - long walk in, surrounded by more inspiring hills, rounded shoulders but taller.
True when walking a'Chreachain and Achaladair it looks like its only purpose is to stop Loch Lyon being longer.
However I think it deserves its place - as the armchair of the Breadalbane, sit at the top and count the hills in view.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

IMG_0381.jpg
Target - Beinn Mhanach

IMG_0382.jpg
Beinn a'Chaisteill (only! a corbett)

IMG_0383.jpg
Fuaran Mor and Beinn Dorain

Left the car at a couple of minutes before 08.00 and walked down the estate road to a cacophony of baying hounds, what do they hunt from there - Bear.
Nice fresh morning with a little ice in the track puddles.

IMG_0384.jpg
Beinn Bhreac-Liath with Beinn Udlaidh on the left

IMG_0385.jpg
Track up Ach Gleann following the Allt Kinglass

IMG_0386.jpg
Coire Chruttein (Beinn Dorain)

No real problems crossing the multitude of fords and reached the split in the track for Lurg Luibheach at 09.20.
Had a we breather just past the dam.

IMG_0389.jpg
Cliffs of Beinn a'Chaisteil and bealach Mam Lorn

IMG_0390.jpg
Beinn nam Fuaran

IMG_0391.jpg
Allt an Loin up to Lon na Cailliche .638

Left the track and followed the right bank of the stream towards the Lon na Cailliche spot height. After 1/2km of flogging through wet heavy snow and soft sodden turf I turned directly uphill to try and gain firmer ground.
In the end I gave up on trying to contour round to the .849 spot height between Mhanach and a'Chuirn and decided to go straight up a'Chuirn.

IMG_0392.jpg
Its a long way in

IMG_0393.jpg
North face of Beinn a'Chuirn - pick a gully

IMG_0394.jpg
Beinn a'Chreachain and Meall Buidhe

IMG_0395.jpg
Beinn an Dothaidh behind the shoulder of Beinn Achaladair

After the excitement of An Stuc in the snow, I can do this - old as I am. Stopped to put on the spikes and break out the ice axe, pick a gully and up we go.
Careful route picking, trying to balance the firm drifted deep snow in the gully and the the hard packed icy thin cover over rocks.

IMG_0396.jpg
Resting

IMG_0397.jpg
Way up from Lon na Cailliche

Minimum of two points of contact all the way up, occasionally having to break the crust with the axe to allow the feet to kick-in. It may not be Matterhorn stuff but its good enough for me, made the top at 11.33.

IMG_0398.jpg
Beinn a'Chuirn summit with Beinn Dorain & Ben Lui

IMG_0400.jpg
Beinn Mhanach

Sense of achievement deflated a little when realised I still had to top the munro - shift it.
Even more so after crossing the bealach and started to climb an insignificant gradient - Ouch Ouch. Calfs really tightened up after the exertions of the 'North face'.

IMG_0401.jpg
Mhanach cairn with a'Chreachain behind

IMG_0402.jpg
Loch and Glen Lyon

IMG_0403.jpg
Somewhere up North with a bit of sun

IMG_0405.jpg
Long way out

Reached the top at 12.10 and had a brew and a wedge, nearly made my self dizzy turning round to suck in all the hills and view.
Saw my first people of the day topping out on a'Chuirn as I started to descend, roughly following the line of the Allt a'Chuirn down to Strath Tarabhan. At first the snow was crisp and firm, easy walking, then came the mushy crap and soggy turf again.

IMG_0406.jpg
Creag Mhor on the right

IMG_0407.jpg
Beinn Dorain and Meall Garbh

Made the track at 13.08 an stopped to refuel for the walk out

IMG_0408.jpg
Manmade waterfall Strath Tarabhan

Bit of a slog on the way out but I have done a few K's in the last few weeks.
Worst hill of the day the climb up to the road and with Ian's absence - no beer.
Few minutes shy of 7 hours, good enough for me.
Frigate
Munro compleatist

Munros:137   Corbetts:12
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:9
Islands:12

Re: Beinn Mhanach, magic for me

Postby GillC » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:56 am

Good one Frigate. I loved this hill, mind you,,I did it on a hot, cleg infested day back in the summer, same route as you, including a Chuirn and the return round the back. Everyone else that day seemed to just go straight up and back down. Loved the walk in too. Well done,,looks so different in the snow. :clap:
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby Ian Bayne » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:55 pm

Magic !! you are certainly making your to do account disappear so thats what the hill looked like we done it when the clouds opened up all day good report and pics Kev
Ian Bayne
Mountain Walker

Munros:184   Corbetts:39
Fionas:13   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:12   

Postby pigeon » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:42 pm

You certainly faired better than me and Ian Kev,we got no views and totally soaked :lol:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:128
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby Frigate » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:50 pm

GillC wrote:Good one Frigate. I loved this hill, mind you,,I did it on a hot, cleg infested day back in the summer, same route as you, including a Chuirn and the return round the back. Everyone else that day seemed to just go straight up and back down. Loved the walk in too. Well done,,looks so different in the snow. :clap:

Thanks GillC, I see that you are cracking out the walks recently
Frigate
Munro compleatist

Postby Frigate » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:52 pm

pigeon wrote:You certainly faired better than me and Ian Kev,we got no views and totally soaked :lol:

Ian Bayne wrote:Magic !! you are certainly making your to do account disappear so thats what the hill looked like we done it when the clouds opened up all day good report and pics Kev

Winters best, time to get the soup dragon warmed up.
Frigate
Munro compleatist

Postby Collaciotach » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:14 am

A nice hill indeed especially in the snow

Good report :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby rockhopper » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:38 am

A long way for one but another walk well worth it in the end - brings back some memories - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland