walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgor Gaibhre, Carn Dearg and co. from Moy in the Snow

Sgor Gaibhre, Carn Dearg and co. from Moy in the Snow

Postby scottishkennyg » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:36 pm

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Dearg (Corrour), Sgòr Gaibhre

Date walked: 23/11/2013

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 50 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The weather forecasts on the MWIS and YR looked very good for Saturday so I was easily convinced to head out for a forage into the hills. I chose to head for Corrour lodge with a clockwise route of Meall Nathrach Mor, Sgor Choinnich, Sgor Gaibhre, Carn Dearg then back to the shooting lodge with an outside chance of continuing on to Beinn na Lap.
The day began up North with a 0545 drive to just before Moy lodge for a 740 start from the layby. I set off on the MTB for the 18.5 Km cycle to the lodge. Carrying full winter gear in the bigger rucksack did not make the going easy. Maybe get one of those child carriers for the bag.
The track was sound and undulated through the partially deforested laggan woods with grand views over loch Laggan up to the grey corries and big ben.
corrourNov2013 121 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
The cloud level was low and the sky was grey but at least it was dry. The ice and snow on the track made it tricky to get a good rhythm.
I passed a signpost indicating a route to Fersit and straight on for Corrour. At the top of a climb I came across a cattle grid and gate with a CCTV on a column. I wondered what this was all about. This is the highlands not a border crossing.
corrourNov2013 003 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
I passed the control post and rolled down hill passing the generator units then on to Strathossian House. Some nice views of the impressive rocks of Creag Mhor, the prominent east face of Meall Garbh and the north ridge of Beinn na Lap.
corrourNov2013 005 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr

At a small bridge 390730 several deer and stags ran up the track I planned to use to climb Beinn na Lap if time permitted. This route up the ridge looked sound and offered an alternative to getting the train in and out of this remote area.
corrourNov2013 009 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
I continued along the glen following the river Ossian to the road junction at the end of Loch Ossian.
corrourNov2013 007 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
I went by the memorial plaque, around the lodge, captured some morning views down the loch
corrourNov2013 022 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
crossed the bridge before going left passed the cottages, with the chickens sheltering under the trampoline
corrourNov2013 110 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
then on to the icy forecourt at the final building. I climbed up the path, dumped the bike in the woods at 0930, then headed through the woods to the open ground. The cloud was moving in around me but I could see the route ahead. I took a quick bearing up to Meall Nathrach Beag. I crossed the river then set off uphill over the soft snow which was still boggy underfoot. As I reached the wee cairn I got some final views of the glen and the loch before the cloud set in.
corrourNov2013 041 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
corrourNov2013 047 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
Views over to Carn Dearg.
corrourNov2013 042 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
corrourNov2013 045 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
I continued onward on another bearing up to the summit cairn of MnM at 1027.
corrourNov2013 054 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
It was very windy up here and icy. Some interesting snow cornices at the edges. I took another bearing and headed NSE over to the summit cairn of Sgor Choinnich at 1100. It was very exposed up here with a strong cold wind.
corrourNov2013 055 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
I caught glimpses through to the mighty Ben Adler and neighbours. I descended SSW to keep away from eastern cliffs down to the narrow bealach. I found some footprints, I was not the only daft one to head for the hills in this weather.
I climbed S to locate the summit cairn of Sgor Gabhre at 1137 and could sense the wind blowing up from the NE cliffs. Not a place to get disorientated.
corrourNov2013 071 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
Visibility was still poor so I took a SW bearing and set off to find the nadir of the vast bealach at 723m. En route I encountered another winter walker heading up to SG. We had a chat and discussed our routes and times etc. We also confirmed that my new watch with altimeter was way out, which would explain why I was sitting in my office at -41m, when it is clearly above the river ness. Need to find out how to reset it. Gadgets…Still might invest in one of those Etrex units.
I plodded onwards on a good old fashioned compass bearing (with the reassurance of footprints)
corrourNov2013 078 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
to reach the large summit cairn at 1258. The cloud refused to budge so views were restricted to footprints and cairns.
corrourNov2013 096 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
corrourNov2013 080 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
I refuelled and set off NNW to avoid NE crags. After about 30 minutes I headed off NE toward the woods and track. This section was really hard going with plenty of deep fresh snow providing the usual stumbles, random losses of height on one side, submerging to the mid region, cold face compresses and stuck baskets on poles. No chance of any controlled slides or graceful glissading.
After some time I heard the hammering from the construction works at the cottages and sensed the forest path was near. Went passed an alfresco workstation and wondered who would be unlucky enough to have to sit there.
corrourNov2013 105 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
At 1416 I returned to the bike. It was 50/50 whether I would ascend Beinn Na Lap on the exit from the glen. I jumped on the bike and free wheeled down toward the courtyard. I tried to bump over a 25mm water pipe strewn across the path then thud. I was off and doing a fine superman flying impression along the road surface. Ouch.
corrourNov2013 109 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
I lay there prostrate to check nothing was broken, especially the shoulder which already has a torn supraspinatus muscle. I inched up and did a full body scan. Evident damage to right knee cap, left side groin, right side abdomen, right shoulder, a broken compass, and a torn Montagne winter fleece.
nov13 002 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
To make it worse I still had 18.5km of a bike trek in the wet clouds to go. Still, at least the new camera was free from damage. What kind of mountain bike cannot even negotiate a 25mm plastic pipe? Obviously it was the rider rather than the equipment as I have fallen off before on the level ground traveling at walking pace.
I went via the lodge and took some keepsake images of another fancy house, what a spectacular view from this property. A subsequent check confirmed that prices to let for a week including staff started from £30,000. Nice location for a future WH meet. :wink:

corrourNov2013 115 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
corrourNov2013 117 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
[img]
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3727/11052164904_80b3dda7ee_b.jpg[/img]
corrourNov2013 119 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
corrourNov2013 119 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
I glimpsed someone through a window and decided to get on my bike. The return ride was not great. The going was tough and the weather was poor. The snow had thawed on the path and the spray from the wheels went everywhere. As I passed my waypoint for Beinn na Lap I clocked the time at 1457 with a view to record timings for a future return.

At the generator I stopped for respite and fuel and then a right Rupert (non discriminate Male or Female) in the landrover, which I recalled had been parked at the lodge, drove passed in an effective manner that ensured the wide wheels discharged as much crap as possible all over my dirty wet and torn clothes. Thanks, just what I needed. Perhaps they were just getting their own back for me trespassing to take images of the hoose.

I continued along the track and as I neared the loch the cloud began to rise. I observed three big birds (buzzards) that would not stay still long enough for a photo.
A final freewheel downhill with extra dirt spray took me back to the car at 1610
Then a full clothing change before I was back on the road for a safe return to the house at 1800 in time for a bath and 3000 calories.
I will consider this route again for Beinn Na Lapp as it will provide a nice short winter walk without the restrictions of the train timetable.
Must get the fleece stitched up, and a new compass before the next outing. :(
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

Re: Sgor Gaibhre, Carn Dearg and co. from Moy in the Snow

Postby dooterbang » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:06 pm

Ouch!!! Can't believe you ripped the Montane :wink: :lol:

Well done on getting back safely.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby scottishkennyg » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:27 pm

[quote="dooterbang"]Ouch!!! Can't believe you ripped the Montane :wink: :lol:

LOL..Cheers db like that..that's what got me too!!!
scottishkennyg

Postby canofirnbru » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:33 pm

I was not the only daft one to head for the hills in this weather.
:lol:
Nice to meet you on Sgor Gaibhre. :wave:
It was a good day to be out even though the clag made an appearance.
I think I'll take the train to Corrour next time, mountain biking looks too dangerous!
canofirnbru
Hill Bagger

Munros:5   Corbetts:85
Fionas:11   Donalds:24+11
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Islands:6
Walk wish-list

Postby malky_c » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:46 am

Reminds me of the day I cycled in to Beinn na Lap - similar cycling conditions too (although I did get views from the top) :) .

Slightly painful looking accident there 8) . Lucky the damage is mostly superficial (if a little expensive). That lodge is quite something. I think it was still being built last time I was there.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby scottishkennyg » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:43 pm

canofirnbru wrote:
I was not the only daft one to head for the hills in this weather.
:lol:
Nice to meet you on Sgor Gaibhre. :wave:
It was a good day to be out even though the clag made an appearance.
I think I'll take the train to Corrour next time, mountain biking looks too dangerous!

LOL...Aye it was good to meet you too...Cracker of a user name you have CAN OF IRN BRU..A1. Well done on reaching the half way point too.. :clap:
scottishkennyg

Postby scottishkennyg » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:47 pm

malky_c wrote:Reminds me of the day I cycled in to Beinn na Lap - similar cycling conditions too (although I did get views from the top) :) .

Slightly painful looking accident there 8) . Lucky the damage is mostly superficial (if a little expensive). That lodge is quite something. I think it was still being built last time I was there.

Cheers Malky, the damage has been made good and we are ready to go again...Aye it is a cracker of a house, I have a friend in the local fire brigade who mentioned that they got a call out to extinguish a fire when it first opened, so I knew that the access road must have been good. He also mentioned that it is available for hire for £30k per week!!!
scottishkennyg

Postby Graeme D » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:29 pm

A fine, action packed report with pictures to match - chickens under a trampoline, alfresco workstations, crashed bicycles, futuristic houses, ripped gear..... it's got it all! :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland