walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Heasgarnich

Beinn Heasgarnich

Postby Kenny Monaghan » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:46 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Heasgarnich

Date walked: 23/11/2013

Time taken: 7 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

DSCF8191 walkhighlands.jpg
Alex and I set off as usual from Stevenston at 07.00 the weather looked promising so we headed for Killin. Our intention was to do the 2 hills we had outstanding in the area, Beinn-Heasgarnich and Creag Mhor. I downloaded the route from Walkhighlands on to the new toy a Garmin E Trex 30 so we could see how it worked. We took bikes with us so we could cycle into the start of the walk to save the trudge along the road from Kennock Farm, saved a fair bit of time.

When we arrived at the point on the road where the walk ends we locked the bikes and headed off towards Beinn Heasgarnich, the E trex done it's job beeping along the route every time we passed a waypoint. We did learn however that following peoples footprints in the snow and checking them off against the E Trex while the scale was set at 100 yards wasn't the best way to follow the route. We appeared to be following the route exactly until I zoomed in and found out we had actually strayed about 40 yards off the path, so with a quick adjustment and a lesson learned we got back on the path and headed on to the the top of Beinn-Heasgarnich . Due to the snow cover it took us 4 hours to get to the top so we decided rather than continue round to Creag Mhor we'd head back down due to the cloud cover, the time it had taken and the bitter cold wind.

Some of the views on the day were absolutely stunning due to that great mixture of Scottish, Sun, Rain and Snow all in the one day, but the highlights of the day were a Golden Eagle, 2 Stags and a group of 6 Ptarmigans. I dont often load photo's but this wee image of the Ptarmigans merits a wee look.
Kenny Monaghan
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:13
Fionas:3   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:8   

Re: Beinn Heasgarnich

Postby CharlesT » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:01 pm

Lovely shot of the Ptarmigan, they posed beautifully for you :) Saw two today on a very wet, windy and cold Beinn Eunaich, looking almost as fed up with the conditions as I was. :(
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland