walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Slioch - no country for old men..

Slioch - no country for old men..

Postby 2manyYorkies » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:51 pm

Route description: Slioch, near Kinlochewe

Munros included on this walk: Slioch

Date walked: 02/11/2013

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 21 km

Ascent: 1000m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

No country for old men... actually it's brilliant country, and I'm only 53, it's just that this is the first Munro I've done in over 30 years. As a student at university in Scotland I did a fair few with the Mountaineering club, including the Ben, Beinn Alligin and Liathach in winter, the Aonach Eagach ridge (twice) and about 20 or so more, before being replanted south of the border.
Despite that, this is a fresh start and I was allowed three days end of October - early November to reacquaint myself with Torridon & Loch Maree, this most beautiful of areas. And the almost endless rain...
IMG_0641.jpg
Skyfall over Loch Maree, end of a hailstorm

IMG_0566.jpg
Rainbows in Torridon

Having toned up with shortish but drenching walks on the Thursday and Friday, Slioch was the prize for the Saturday.
I'd spent some very happy hours reading the reports on this excellent site (I particularly enjoy the musings and purrings of the Black Panther), and felt as prepared as I could be.
The day was forecast to be dry (yeah, right...), but overcast; the statuesque bulk of Beinn Eighe freed itself from the mist for me briefly on the long walk in from Incheril car park:
BEighefromIncheril.jpg
Beinn Eighe

I actually really enjoyed the walk in. It's varied and the path wriggles about enough to keep you interested, and the surroundings of the river and the Loch are peaceful (particularly when you're one of only seven to go up the hill that day).
IMG_0209.jpg
Soggy trees

IMG_0212.jpg
The loch has eaten my path....

Plenty of small streams to cross before the main waterfalls just before the climb:
IMG_0214.jpg
Towards Loch Maree

I took the path immediately right after the footbridge, which is not the recommended route, but goes up the bank to get a good view of the falls. As this detour was less than intentional, I quickly cut across the moor to gain the stalkers path that goes up Gleann Bianasdail. After a few hundred metres the path up to Slioch forks left at a small cairn, and makes it's way up a reasonable gradient between Meall Each and Sgurr Dubh, picking around burn and bog - but you know all this from the route description. There's not a lot to see in front of you other than hill, but frequent stops are required to admire the ever improving view behind...
IMG_0220.jpg

Entering Coire na Sleaghaich was like coming into a giant amphitheatre, the cloud had come down to flirt with the tops, forming a roof, and the stillness, quiet and gentle gradient within the bowl was a pleasure after the initial slog.
IMG_0223.jpg
Coire na Sleaghaich - unlocking Slioch's secrets...

The path is easy to spot, although very boggy after all the rain. At the far side of the Coire the "tourist" path cuts back up to the ridge between Sgurr Dubh and Slioch's summit ridge, with the lochans sitting high and proud.
IMG_0230.jpg
A lochan with Sgurr Dubh behind

The climb up the summit ridge is pretty steep by the standard of what's gone before, but holds no concerns. Well, it wouldn't have if the cloud hadn't come down to hide the views, and there hadn't been a dusting of snow to hide the path, and I had been a wee bit fitter... Nevertheless it was straightforward stuff to the initial tease of the trig point, and then on to the true summit a couple of hundred metres on.
"The summit of Slioch is renowned for the stunning views over Loch Maree and the Fisherfield Forest wilderness" :
And sure enough, there they are, somewhere just behind the cloud... :?
IMG_0238.jpg
From the trig point:

IMG_0241.jpg
... and from the high point (981 m).

It being misty, cold and windy, and me being on my own, I decided to descend by retracing my path, rather than via the summit of Sgurr an Tuill Bhain, save that for a sunny day I think.
IMG_0245.jpg
On the way down, with loch an, Sgurr Dubh and Loch Maree

As I reached the bottom of the path from the lochans to the top of the Coire the weather closed in, and the heavy rain continued all the way back to the car park. But I didn't care. No, honestly. I was just so pleased to be back on the Scottish hills again, and to have had the privilege of climbing Slioch. :D
IMG_0575.jpg
What a stunner. (Taken 2 days earlier)

All that remained was to have too much to drink in the bar of the Kinlochewe hotel (I'd recommend the An Teallach brewery beer), before getting up before dawn the next day for the long drive back home (the clue to location is in my forum name).
Out of necessity it will sadly be a few months before I can get back up north, so will make do with knocking off a few more Wainwright's, and enjoying the majestic gloom of the North Yorks Moors.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

2manyYorkies
Mountain Walker

Munros:190   Corbetts:22
Hewitts:77
Wainwrights:117   

Re: Slioch - no country for old men..

Postby spiderwebb » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:17 pm

Greta hill and report....yes that is a long walk out !! Remember it well :wink:
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Re: Slioch - no country for old men..

Postby weaselmaster » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:30 pm

Enjoyed that - some classy pics there. Shame about lack of view at the top.
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:197   Donalds:75+31
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland