walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glorious Glamaig

Glorious Glamaig

Postby Quadbarrel » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:49 am

Route description: Glamaig and the northern Red Hills circuit

Corbetts included on this walk: Glamaig

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Dearg Mhór (Sligachan)

Date walked: 17/10/2013

Time taken: 5.25 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1360m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Another earlier morning 'stroll' whilst staying up in Glendale for the week. Parked up at the Sligachan Hotel and headed off. Amazing views towards our target.

DSCF6004.JPG
Glamaig Horseshoe in the clouds

Headed across the old bridge, then through the gate and took the left path. Followed this up the hill and then took the left turn through the gate and onto our path.

DSCF6007.JPG
The Hotel

DSCF6010.JPG
Glamaig with Allt Daraich

DSCF6013.JPG
Me

DSCF6016.JPG
Bealach na Sgairde - I'm Sgairde at how low it is!

The path got boggier and boggier and boggier the further you went and eventually we started to climb up onto the ridge to our relief and finally the bogs ended! :D :D :D Headed up the path towards the ridge, took the right hand path and after many false summits finally reached Sron a' Bhealain.

DSCF6018.JPG
Sron a' Bhealain

Started up Druim na Ruaige.

DSCF6019.JPG
Looking up

DSCF6029.JPG
I hate zig-zags!

Reached the false cairn and headed along the ridge to the true summit of Beinn Dearg Mheadhonach.

DSCF6030.JPG
Me at the false cairn

DSCF6035.JPG
Cloud inversion

DSCF6040.JPG
Me and dad at the top

Headed down to the right along the new ridge and down into Bealach Mosgaraidh. From here headed up the relatively simple ascent up the path to the top of Beinn Dearg Mhor.

DSCF6047.JPG
Me and Dad at the top

DSCF6048.JPG
Never mind the Lucozade look at the views!!!

DSCF6049.JPG
The view without ugly me in it

Headed down the ridge to the top and from here decided to take the mental path :clap: :roll: .

DSCF6055.JPG
Don't go this way!

Fianlly reached Bealach na Sgairde and began the ascent up Glamaig which was simply and utterly mental and knackering.

DSCF6056.JPG
A sheep with a view?!?

DSCF6057.JPG
Looking back of the bealach to the sensible route (the one we took is off to the left)

DSCF6061.JPG
Looking back

Finally reached the clear top of Glamiag to stunning views before being swallowed in a cloud.

DSCF6063.JPG
Before the cloud...

DSCF6067.JPG
Me and dad at the top

DSCF6070.JPG
A rare clear view and a nice shot of a Lucozade bottle!

DSCF6071.JPG
A clear view down to Ben Lee and Raasay

From here headed back along Glamaig to the spot we came from - and started scree running down. So fun (my first time) and we were down in a jiffy, probably about a fifth of the time it took us to get up (at the most). Headed down to the right of the bealach and down Teanga Mhor. Followed the path down next to Allt Bealach na Sgairde.

DSCF6074.JPG
Looking up Allt Bealach na Sgairde

DSCF6076.JPG
Me in front of Glamaig

Once we were off the mini ridge and across Allt Daraich the path decided to disappear and turn into a bog. :roll: Yay! :roll: This bog was so bad that we were actually glad to see the path we came on! By this point we had given up keeping our boots dry so just went for it and headed back down to Sligachan where we started.
Quadbarrel
Mountaineer

Munros:146   Corbetts:52
Fionas:34   Donalds:20
Sub 2000:58   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:30   Islands:3

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland