walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn Mor Dearg & Ben Nevis

Carn Mor Dearg & Ben Nevis

Postby Milesy » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:24 pm

Route description: Ben Nevis by the Càrn Mòr Dearg Arête

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis, Càrn Mòr Dearg

Date walked: 10/03/2010

Time taken: 8 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had been watching the weather forecast all week in hope of getting a blue sky day to do my traverse of the classic winter route - The Carn Mor Dearg Arête - Colloquially just known as the CMD Arête. With the small band of high pressure forecasted to move away on Thursday instead of the previously forecasted Friday I made a snap decision to get on the bus on Tuesday night up to Fort William.

On arriving at my accommodation, the Calluna bunkhouse ran by Alan Kimber of West Coast Mountain Guides I was informed that the weather the last few days had been beautiful so off to a good start.

Got myself up at seven, got sorted out and headed off on the bus to the Nevis Range Resort on Aonach Mor, and took the Gondola part way up the hill. My reason for going up Aonach Mor first was I was planning on dropping down to the Allt Daim and scoping out the East Ridge of Carn Mor Dearg, another classic winter route.

The day had initially been nice but at some point during my breakfast the sky had clouded over quite a lot. Not happy.

I arrived at the Gondola top station on Aonach Mor to a biting northly wind and miserable gray overcast.

I then cut across to the Meall Breac view point, and Carn Mor Dearg came into better view. Unfortunately the west slopes of Meall Breac were corniced which made the descent into the Allt Daim tricky.

Better view of the East Ridge - those spiney towers.

Looking back to Meall Breac and there were others mucking about at some of the larger corniced areas practising abseiling.

Having looked at the East ridge first hand, and being on my own without a partner, rope or a helmet I decided against it as the northerlywinds would be cutting across the ridge sideways. I opted for the North East ridge as a more sensible approach for today.

Coming up north takes you across a couple of smaller summits on the way so you go up and down a couple of times. Just coming to the summit of Carn Dearg Meadhonach.

The final summit slope to Carn Mor Dearg looms up ahead.

Having made it to the final summit the winds had picked up a little more so I sat and eat lunch with my back to the wind. Looking ahead at the Arête I considered turning back because I was angry at having missed the good weather. I had also managed to finish all my water for the day and did not have a snow to melt some snow. I decided to head down to the start and take a look from there.

Almost as if someone could read my mind, or had answered some unasked prayer the exact moment I moved off the Carn Mor Dearg summit the sky opened into a brilliant blue and the winds died completely away.

The sunshine came out strong and lit the Arête up ahead. Of course I had to continue on now.

A couple of pictures along the Arête itself. There was not much time to stop and take pictures as there was barely enough space to stand with sheer drops off both sides.

The spectacular north face of Ben Nevis in truly Alpine conditions.

Made it to the other end of the Arête in on piece. Looking back at Carn Mor Dearg and Aonach Mor

Just have to reach the summit now.

I met a couple of guys from down south, who kindly shared a little of their water with me as the traverse with no water in baking sunshine had left my mouth and throat like sandpaper.

Back towards the Arête.

The summit is up that way.

Taking my time up the steep slopes.

Nearly at the summit.

At the summit, enjoying the warm sunshine on top of the old observatory. Officially the highest standing person in the UK.

The Ben Nevis plateau is pretty vast. Carn Dearg in the background.

Coire Na Ciste and Carn Dearg.

A small snow bunting on the observatory. The highest standing bird in the UK.

My small alpine weather window is starting to close up. Clouds coming in now.

The vast plateau.

Pretty quiet for a day on the top of Ben Nevis.

Coming back down the clouds and can see the Mamores looming ahead.

Some of the avalanche debris in the Red Burn from last week, by all accounts quite possibly the biggest avalanche Scotland has has on record. Luckily this one happened at night time and there was no one arround.

Descent by the "pony track" down into Glen Nevis, and a couple of miles walk back to Fort William, for a quick shower and back on the bus to Glasgow. A great day out midweek.
Milesy
Stravaiging

Re: Carn Mor Dearg & Ben Nevis

Postby Stretch » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:58 am

Enjoyed the pics, looks like this was worth all the patient planning Milesy. How were your nerves on the ridge itself? I'd like to give it a go this summer if I can get a nice day with little wind.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby audreywaugh » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:40 am

Great photos, well done you, a day to remember that one. Still to do the Ben by the CMD, hoping to do it over the summer at some point, my last few trips to Fort Bill have been very wet! But I'm ever hopefully of a good summer (without too many midges!) :D
audreywaugh
Wanderer

Munros:196   Corbetts:46
Fionas:14   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:25   Hewitts:48
Wainwrights:47   Islands:20

Postby mountain coward » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:37 am

Glad it came out for you - some classic pics of a snowy CMD there - great stuff! Not for me in snow though I'm afraid...

I can never understand anyone thinking they haven't got a drink when there's all that pristine snow around?! You can just use that - I do!
mountain coward

Postby sloosh » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:47 am

I think I am officially jealous. :( :)
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby Glenrothes » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:54 am

Its amazing what a few miles can do - I was on Meall na Teanga and Sron a'Choire Ghairbh on that same Wednesday. Had good weather but maybe not the clear sunshine as you boys - but hey, it was an awesome day out - well done guys :thumbup:
Glenrothes

Postby davetherave » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:34 pm

Milesy
Looks like you had a fantastic day, your pics a super dooper. Id love to try this route but ill wait till i have some more ridge experiece. :( i may even keep it for my final munro. :D
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby Milesy » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:42 pm

Stretch wrote:Enjoyed the pics, looks like this was worth all the patient planning Milesy. How were your nerves on the ridge itself? I'd like to give it a go this summer if I can get a nice day with little wind.

It was pretty hairy. A few butt clenching moments haha. Got a little vertigo as well. I imagine it would be worse in summer personally. I would rather fall onto a snow slope than onto rocks. :)
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby yokehead » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:31 pm

Well done on getting this round in Milesy, glad the weather turned around for you. Great photos. I wish I was closer to take advantage of these type of conditions!
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby Paul Webster » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:42 pm

Stunning stuff Milesy :thumbup:

The arete is much easier than you think in summer.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby kevsbald » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:21 am

Wish I'd been there. Alas, I'll need to have a go at it myself, methinks. Great photos Milesy.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Lochivraon » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:00 pm

Really pleased you got the clearance before you had descended 1000ft! Great pictures. That bunting - or one very like it :wink: - mooches about, cadging crumbs, all year round.
Lochivraon

Postby DonnyW » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:07 pm

Hey..Im glad to see you got this one done Milesy and on such a lovely day. You put a lot of work and planning in over the winter so its great to see it paying off for you .. whats next ? Tower ridge in the summer time aint so difficult either but it is very exposed :lol:
DonnyW

Postby RadMan » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:46 pm

Gutted i missed out on this one mate, really glad that you got the weather though and some great shots.
I shall have to get out soon! 8)
RadMan
Munro compleatist

Munros:153   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland