walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Donich

Ben Donich

Postby U059361 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:37 pm

Route description: Ben Donich, via Rest and Be Thankful

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Donich

Date walked: 27/12/2013

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 7.5 km

Ascent: 575m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I kept this walk for days when I was short of time and this was it. My planned walking partner (who will remain nameless) couldn't make it but it took over an hour to find out so was late setting off. I got to the car park at 11:15am to find several cars already there and no one in sight. I set off at a good pace still 'raging' about being stood up and started meeting all the other car users coming back down when the top was back in view. It's a fairly decent walk up to the top with one little exception. There appears to be a fault line in the final climb which has left a drop and a scramble over rocks to negotiate. Thankfully the picture on this website, WH, makes it look worse than it is going down.
Quickly made it to the top in an hour. Surely a record for me. All that anger management. Felt better at the trig point and all was forgiven. Great views, very atmospheric with sun shining through clouds.
Lochgoilhead from Ben Donich by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
Lochs and Clyde by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
Found a sheltered spot with a view and had lunch. Here is the view.
Over to Clyde Estuary by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
Then wandered around taking more photos before descending. From above there is a better view of the fault and its wall.
Ben Donich fault wall with hills beyond by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
The path goes right over the middle of it.
It is harder to get up than down for me. However, once over that very quickly back to the car at 2:15pm, 3 hours exactly. Got back to the house just as it was getting dark. Plenty of time.
Last edited by U059361 on Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
U059361
Bird-watcher

Munros:101   Corbetts:34
Grahams:20   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:5

Re: Ben Donich

Postby PeteR » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:38 pm

A great little hill this, and your (ex? :lol: ) walking partner can see from your photos just what they missed :lol:
PeteR
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:155
Grahams:88   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:176   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland