walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn na Gainimh - It Was Okay

Beinn na Gainimh - It Was Okay

Postby Gordie12 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:22 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn na Gainimh

Date walked: 06/12/2013

Time taken: 3.8 hours

Distance: 15.5 km

Ascent: 689m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Time was limited today, I wanted to see the house in daylight following Thursday's storm to see what damage there was (a BT telephone pole sitting on top of our front wall - a lucky escape as it could easily have hit the house and one broken pane of glass to an outbuilding so could have been worse).

I was walking on the Sma' Glen to Loch Tay Right of Way last weekend when doing a couple of hills from Ardtalnaig and this week I was using the southern end of the same track and starting at Newton Bridge. Being a Friday the parking area by the bridge was empty so loads of space to park and head off towards Auchnafree.

Having read the reports last night I wanted to climb Meall Reamhar (not the Graham 4 miles north at Amulree) and head along the tops towards Beinn na Gainimh but I wasn't sure I would have enough time so instead I just made my way along the RofW.

The track is flat with little in the way of undulation until reaching the right turn before Conichan.

1.jpg
Heading towards Auchnafree

2.jpg
Looking back towards the start

3.jpg
The climb is about to start

4.jpg
Looking back to Meall Reamhar

I read all the reports on this hill before starting but the photo that struck me was from March 2010 (U059361) of a view of the track heading up towards Conichan Castle. This is what this area looks like now.

5.jpg

6.jpg

In the picture from 2010 the track heading towards Beinn na Gainimh is grassy in the middle and a fairly typical hill track and this is the new upgraded version.

7.jpg

This track doesn't muck about with zig-zags it just heads straight up the hill and gets the heart pumping as height is gained. At the high point of the track I decided to leave it and contour round the hillside and head directly towards Beinn na Gainimh (the track drops about 100 -150 metres down to the Henzie Burn). There is a burn to the west of Henzie Burn which I crossed and started to head towards a track I could see on the upper slopes of Beinn na Gainimh.

8.jpg
Burn and track in the distance

I disturbed quite a few white hares in this area, the only wildlife I saw all day (excluding sheep).

Once I linked up with the track I followed it for a couple of hundred yards before leaving it again to head off to the left and wander through the heather towards the top. This is probably a winter hill, it looks to be a bit damp at the top but today it was nice and frozen with a light dusting of snow on top making for good walking.

9.jpg
Summit

10.jpg
Summit with Ben Chonzie beyond

Due to the limited time I just retraced my steps off the top but instead of cutting the corner over the heather I just stuck with the track down to the Henzie Burn.

11.jpg
Handy shelter by the Henzie Burn

On the plus side I had the track all the way but after the Henzie Burn there is another straight line steep climb as I was back on the upgraded track again. The drop down towards the Right of Way was tricky as it was really steep and slippy but luckily the verge could be used quite often.

Once down on the Right of Way the wind had dropped and I started to warm up.

A nice walk, a decent hill but it would definitely have been a better day out if I had had time to walk along the tops rather than sticking to the tracks.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Re: Beinn na Gainimh - It Was Okay

Postby gmr82 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:18 pm

You got there in the end! Did these after the Amulree Graham's. Cant say I enjoyed the walk back along the RofW after that! I do plan on heading back but in nice weather and just doing your route to be direct. And dont go along the tops if windy, its really really exposed! Glad the house wasnt damaged too badly
gmr82
Mountain Walker

Munros:27   Corbetts:7
Fionas:21   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Beinn na Gainimh - It Was Okay

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:08 pm

Hi Gav

Read your report the night before and thought you had some "navigational issues" until I checked the OS and saw the 2 Meall Reamhars 4 miles apart :lol: :lol:

Did you get any hills done in Aberdeenshire at the weekend???

Luckily the pole fell at the angle it did otherwise it would have taken out the corner of the house (just where the TV is :shock: ).

Hoose 2.jpg

Hoose 3.jpg
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland