walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Glas and Sgiath Chuil - a test of friendship!

Meall Glas and Sgiath Chuil - a test of friendship!

Postby JimboJim » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:13 pm

Route description: Meall Glas and Sgiath Chuil from Glen Dochart

Munros included on this walk: Meall Glas, Sgiath Chùil

Date walked: 28/11/2013

Time taken: 6.3 hours

Distance: 17.5 km

Ascent: 1290m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was an early start - for me. Never sleep well when wife on night shift anyway and the prospect of a walk next day, seems to waken me buzzin' way too early. No point waiting for daylight, however it was still black when I made my way down Glen Dochart, so took a few stabs to find the right start point. Must admit I found it quite exhilerating, to be heading off into the dark, at 7.30am.
DSCF5831_1067_800.JPG
Dark 7.20
DSCF5835_1067_800.JPG
Moon over Ben More.

I had discussed my route, with good friend and mentor, Big Jesper who had suggested taking in the hills in a clockwise circuit. The night before, my various reading made me think, more folk seemed to do it the opposite way. Knowing BJ, I was sure his assertion that the climb up from Lairig a Churain, to Sgiath Chuil, was not as steep as it looked in his photo's, would be true!
Anyway, I followed the north pointing signpost, to "hillwalk" and made my way up various tracks, onto the boggy, (very boggy) ground, rising towards Meall Glas.
DSCF5844_1163_800.JPG
Early sun on Meall Glas.
DSCF5845_1068_800.JPG
Ben Challum
I chose to skirt to the west of Meall Glas Beag, but I think one could equally divert round to the east. As the light came in, it was great to see views of Ben More, Lui and Challum, as I neared the top. There had been little sign of feared snow, but taking a meander across a patch, wakened me to the risks of it being turned to ice - solid and slippy!
DSCF5865_1224_800_800_523.JPG
Meall Glas cairn to Sgiath Chuil.

Took me just under two and a quarter hours to the first top, where the views extended to Dorain and hills of Glen Lochay and Ben Lawers to the east, though getting ever more hazy. There's quite a well worn path from here, over to the trig point on Beinn Cheathaich, where I started to have serious doubts about the chances of my friendship with Big Jesper, lasting much longer! It sure looks steep from here!
DSCF5872_1107_800.JPG
The "not too steep" climb up Sgiath Chuil.
DSCF5848_1071_800.JPG
Beinn Dorain.
DSCF5850_1068_800.JPG
Ben Lui.

Winding my way down to the lairig, I met a hardy soul heading up, with his dog leading the way. He was obviously making faster progress than I, but strongly suggested I don't go straight up, but instead head, almost east and onto the ridge, to the north of Meall a Churain. Sensible advice, one would say, especially as my legs were feeling the pace, however I soon knew that me, being me, would probably just do things the difficult way and so it was.
Much gnashing of teeth and blaming Jesper and myself, ensued as I zig-zagged my way up the steep slope, however I was rewarded and delighted to find a wee Ptarmigan, watching my struggle, as I finally made it onto the level. I made it to the top of Sgiath Chuill in four and a quarter hours.
I was looking forward to a more relaxing descent, however I think my general relief to have got the worst of it out the way, lowered my guard and I foolishly never paid enough attention to keeping to track on the way down, drifting way eastwards onto terrible terrain, thick tussocks of grass, heather and decaying bracken , as well as bogs and more bogs.
DSCF5873_1115_800.JPG
Distant Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'Chroin.
DSCF5880_1067_800.JPG
Ptarmigan, distinctly unimpressed by my efforts to get up Sgiath Chuill.
DSCF5898_1159_800.JPG
Sgiath Chuil from South.
DSCF5897_1167_800.JPG
And Ben More & Stob Binnein through the haze.
DSCF5889_1265_800_800_506.JPG
Meall Glas and Ben Challum, looking west.
DSCF5887_1068_800.JPG
Ben More and Stob Binnein
Agh! I must have added about an extra mile and half hour to my journey, finally getting back to the car in six and a quarter hours and very tired! Still, it was a good day out and still pals with Big Jesper - for now!
Attachments
DSCF5847_1160_800.JPG
Sgiath Chuil from MG.
DSCF5841_1067_800.JPG
Sun about to peak out.
DSCF5855_1213_800_800_528.JPG
Beinn Heasgarnich.
DSCF5862_1084_800.JPG
Creag Mhor.
DSCF5856_1163_800.JPG
Recognise scene of previous woopsie, BJ? A good view of crags we scrambled up.
DSCF5869_1267_800_800_505.JPG
Meall Glas from Beinn Cheathaich.
DSCF5883_1068_800.JPG
Meall Ghaordaidh.
DSCF5884_1068_800.JPG
Ben Lawers

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by JimboJim on Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

Re: Meall Glas and Sgiath Chuil - a test of friendship!

Postby Big Jesper » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:18 pm

Hi Jimbo, glad to see that we are still friends as i remember it as an quick easy wee wander up sciath chuill. Looks like you had a good day anyway. PS going by you're time, looks like the fitness levels fitness have slipped a wee bit. Will be tested in january.
Big Jesper
Munro compleatist

Munros:266   

Re: Meall Glas and Sgiath Chuil - a test of friendship!

Postby JimboJim » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:31 pm

Thanks, Jasper. Yes, I forgive you. It was no quick, easy wee wander for me. Getting outta shape. My careless descent easily cost me half an hour, if not more and took a lot out me - what a wally! Saying that, I was still below the stated time of 7-9 hours. No' bad for an old codger! You better get yourself in shape, or I'll leave you behind on the next one, fatty!
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland