walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Each to his own

Each to his own

Postby PeteR » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:50 pm

Route description: Beinn Each from Loch Lubnaig

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Each

Date walked: 22/12/2013

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Well, that is what I had thought as I drove north to Callander under ever darkening and foreboding skies and the snow seemingly setting in :shock: Surely I would be the only nutcase out in this weather :lol:

But I was more than surprised as I pulled into the lay-by at the start of the route for Beinn Each to find four other cars already parked up :D Clearly there were other nutcases out as well as me :lol: But then again it was by now midday :lol: :roll:

As it was I was ultimately to enjoy the summit of Each to myself, meeting a group of about 15 people on Eas an Eoin heading down off the hill as I was headed up. Despite being very calm at this point the suggestion was that it would be quite rough on the summit itself :shock:

All in all this was a good little walk for a foul weather day :D A nice walk up through the forest and on to a land rover track and then a good route up on to the hill :D
P1030837.JPG
A wet and boggy start to the climb

P1030839.JPG
Ben Ledi is there somewhere

P1030840.JPG
Into the forest

P1030841.JPG
Hitting the forest track

I’d just come off the back of a pretty manic month at work and Christmas and the whole Festive Season had thus far passed me by. Hillwalking though has very much been a spiritual experience for me. A time to purge myself of the week just gone and ready myself the one to come, as well as a time to contemplate the whole life, universe and everything type of stuff. And I certainly felt that sort of connection as I arrived on the snow covered land rover track, with the snow continuing to fall :D :D By the end of the route I was also starting to feel the beginnings of a bit of Festive spirit seeping into me :D
P1030846.JPG
Walking in a winter wonderland

From the land rover track it was an easy, short amble to the signpost pointing the direction up Beinn Each.
P1030856.JPG

P1030857.JPG
Toward my target for the day

P1030859.JPG

P1030861.JPG
Trees

As I set off up the track I spied the group heading down. I stopped for a brief chat with them as I made my way up. While there was a good amount of snow it was for the most part soft and slippery stuff, rather than being consolidated. I always find this stuff a bit tough on the ageing joints, and today was no exception :lol: Eventually though I was over the climb and on my straightforward ground. So it was a bit of a bummer to find this was when the wind decided to pick up, blowing the already fallen snow all over the place. Not quite a white out, but pretty close :shock: It was turning out to be every bit as rough as the group I'd met had suggested and slowed me up in those moments where the path had disappeared under the snow.
P1030870.JPG
Looking toward the summit of Beinn Each

P1030872.JPG

The final section was windy..........very windy, but soon enough I was standing at the substantial summit cairn (must have had at least three stones in it :lol: ).
P1030876.JPG
The final push

P1030885.JPG
Closer still

P1030887.JPG
View down the ridge

P1030888.JPG
Beinn Each summit

I didn’t hang round long, as it really was quite windy and visibility when the snow was whipped up was pretty rotten :shock: Sadly no views from the top, but obviously having descended for a few minutes and the summit was clear and there was blue sky too :roll:
P1030889.JPG
A bit of a foreboding view in descent

P1030891.JPG
But obviously clear behind me

P1030894.JPG

It didn’t last though, and soon the cloud and snow was back, hitting me in waves on the way down :shock: On the climb up the wind had been on my back, so in descent it was obviously in my face. Not always pleasant as my face took a battering and I struggled to see with snow being forced into my eyes. Had to stop a few times to turn my back to the wind while the worst of it passed over me. Eventually though I was passed the worst of it and heading down toward the land rover track.
P1030898.JPG
A brief clearing sky ahead of me

P1030905.JPG

P1030910.JPG
Pano of Beinn Each

Once on the track it was then an easy walk back to the car; especially enjoyable making my way back through the forest, which was now starting to get a bit dark as the light was starting to fade :roll:
P1030913.JPG
A wintery water feature

P1030915.JPG

P1030916.JPG

P1030918.JPG

All a bit wild back at the car, but I was happy to have got myself out on a hill despite what the forecast had suggested :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:158
Grahams:89   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:177   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Re: Each to his own

Postby pigeon » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:06 am

Well done Pete,we did Each in similar conditions a few years back,must visit it again sometime.Have a good xmas and let's hope this weather gets a bit better sooner than later :wink:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:94
Grahams:38   Donalds:35
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2

Postby rockhopper » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:54 pm

Yup - was up this hills en route to Stuc a'Chroin a few years back - does give some great views. Would agree it's a bit boggy early on but fine once you're out on open ground - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:218
Grahams:64   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:19

Postby gammy leg walker » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:31 pm

Climbed this many years back en route to Stuc a Chroin and never even new it was a Corbett until I got back home :lol: :lol: :lol:
gammy leg walker
Mountaineer

Munros:262   Corbetts:7
Grahams:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Graeme D » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:29 pm

Nice one Pete. Many a year since I was up there. Think it was my second Corbett.
Graeme D

Munros:225   Corbetts:107
Grahams:65   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:56   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:27   Islands:6

Postby mrssanta » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:15 pm

lovely I especially like the second picture, very atmospheric
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:252   Corbetts:11
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:44
Wainwrights:40   Islands:8

Postby goth_angel » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:53 pm

Still better views than I got - did it in pouring rain a couple of summers ago, saw nowt and got absolutely soaked :roll:
goth_angel

Munros:101   Corbetts:9
Grahams:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:70
Wainwrights:146   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland