walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Four became one ....

Four became one ....

Postby scotdavid63 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:34 pm

Route description: Càrn Gorm, Meall Garbh, Càrn Mairg & Creag Mhòr

Munros included on this walk: Creag Mhòr (Meall na Aighean)

Date walked: 28/12/2013

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 800m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Well the forecast did not look too bad and when we set off at 9.15am there was a certain hope to possibly get all four. Went anti clockwise as one of our group had done the first two on the clockwise route already, figuring at least get her the full bag of four even if all four were beyond reach. We are usually pretty quick on walks !
So, all well up to just over 600m, path was not always clear due to snow drifts but generally speaking all ok. Looked a bit claggy at the tops and when we got to close to 650m it got wild, wind and horizontal snow albeit not much of it thankfully. Thought about switching to the ridge over to the east but figured that would kill our timing and chances of more munros. At 850m there is no sign of any path at this time of year so persevered using the ridge that we were on. At this point some of the snow was hard packed and icy so one ice axe between three suddenly felt quite a lot light on equipment although I was fine under my layers of various north face kit. My 11year old son, pretty much for the first time in his 29munros was not happy although his footing was the best of the three of us. To cut to the chase, got up having decided to nail It then get the hell off, down the easterly of the ridges which was actually less snow and ice bound. That was a good choice, dropped height quite quickly and got below the clag, traversed back over to the ascent ridge and back down the path. Dogs enjoyed it, boy and me knackered. Bath and then a large dram for me !
scotdavid63
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:3   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland