walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

BEN LOMOND ? HAVIN A LAUGH

BEN LOMOND ? HAVIN A LAUGH

Postby ornumjohn » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:12 pm

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 26/11/2013

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 974m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'd have laughed in your face if you told me i,d be a hill walker less than 2 years ago. having a few chance meetings and to cut a long one short , i started hill walking early november 2013 and on 26 november i managed my 1st Munro. My friend "the good vice chair John" and his trusty dug honey set off from the car park in dry calm conditions through the new foresty and on up the well defined path.Though ,i'm far from fit, with a bit of a breather here and there i made the summit.
The weather from bottom to top changed dramatically from the calm dry at the bottom to gale force winds and horizontal freezing rain for the top 300m or so. The under foot conditions changed too wet then slush snow and hard ice which made the descent quite tricky.
Up and down via the path took us about 5.5 hrs and we had a few breaks on the way. Visibility was poor at the top down to 20 m so our original plan to come down via the ptarmigan ridge was quickly abandoned.
This was my first Munro and i think i'm hooked wish i;d done it years ago but no regrets looking forward to the next one it was fantastic hope to see some scenery next time :D
ornumjohn
Mountaineer

Munros:1   Corbetts:1

Re: BEN LOMOND ? HAVIN A LAUGH

Postby bigjimmy » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:32 pm

well done John, now you have started you won't stop. I started more seriously in September and wish i had started many years ago, just need to make up for lost time. Met some great folks and had some great thrills already! Hope you have many exhilarating walks in future.
bigjimmy
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Grahams:2   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:8   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland