walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Memories in the Corrie

Memories in the Corrie

Postby raykilhams » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:59 pm

Date walked: 01/01/2014

Distance: 10 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I can't remember for how many years that my wife and I have begun the new year with a walk to the Corrie Fee. In the 1970's along with our two boy's , we would hike up to the waterfall at the far end of the corrie , in the 1980's our family had grown and so six of us ( the two of us plus two boys and two girls) would bundle into the car and make the drive to the corrie . Some years it would be snowing , others raining , sometimes a hard frost would cover the ground ( my favourite time for walking) while at other times the weather would be unseasonally warm. I can still remember many years ago one new years day when I fell head first into a pool in the river , much to the amusement of my family ( they still remind me of it) and I had to remove my wet trousers and put Arlenes on , she just removed her fleece and wore it like a skirt ....happy days.
Some years we would take our parents and other family members or just close friends , we would laugh together , gaze with wonder at the shapes and formation of the mountains and enjoy numerous goodies....always happy and fun times.
Now with the passing of the years our parents and a number of our friends have passed away , our children have moved away to make their own lives with their own families , but we still make what is like an annual pilgrimage back to the corrie . Our parents and deceased friends are still with us , not physically , but in our hearts and minds , and as we walk through the corrie time stands still and I can still hear their voices , see their faces , and hear their laughter .......... the corrie is just so atmosphreric at this time of year and coupled with deep.... intense memories....... it just keeps calling us back and one can almost hear the haunting melody of Auld Lang Syne with its heartfelt lyrics playing on the light wind .... Some places just do that to you , maybe you too have have your own special place , sentimental ?...maybe ...possibly.... but....so unashamedly human. It makes you stop and think deeply about your life and how truly wonderful life is , and what an absolutely stunning and beautiful country Scotland is . Yes ' the moving finger writes and having written moves on' , we can't stop it , but boy we can enjoy it .....so I wish all Walkhighlanders happy walking /climbing for 2014 .....so what are you waiting for , put those boots and gaiters on , get that backpack ( with its goodies in) on your back and get out there , experience what it is to live and look on , at the truly uplifting and inspiring country that surrounds us.... and we are part of.
raykilhams
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:9   

Re: Memories in the Corrie

Postby Gordie12 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:53 pm

Hi Ray

Could you do the next half time team talk for St Johnstone please............I think you could inspire them to great things (I'm close to putting the boots on and going for a wander up the road in the pitch dark and pouring rain!!).

Yip, I guess we all have special places and for me it's Glen Lednock at Comrie as my grandparents lived their when they were alive and as a teenager (this was some time ago I loved going their every weekend and taking their collie up into the hills for long long walks that would panic my Gran as she worried when there was no sign of us returning. I head back their a couple of times a year and happy memories always come flooding back.

Oh, and a confession, I've walked Dreish and Mayar at least 4 times, been on Jock's road more times than I can remember.................and I've never been to Corrie Fee.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby raykilhams » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:19 pm

[quote="Gordie12"]Hi Ray

Yip, I guess we all have special places and for me it's Glen Lednock at Comrie as my grandparents lived their when they were alive and as a teenager (this was some time ago I loved going their every weekend and taking their collie up into the hills for long long walks that would panic my Gran as she worried when there was no sign of us returning. I head back their a couple of times a year and happy memories always come flooding back

Memories Gordie , what memories we all have , I guess that's what we're made of ....
Happy walking on the , is it the C2C? and all those treks you're bound to have in 2014
raykilhams
Mountaineer

Postby Gordie12 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:15 pm

Yip, C2C in June and 5 months in the gym to look forward to before I start!!

I saw your plans for this year on another thread, looks like you have a good year planned.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby raykilhams » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:41 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Yip, C2C in June and 5 months in the gym to look forward to before I start!!

I saw your plans for this year on another thread, looks like you have a good year planned.

Hope i can fit it all in ...look forward to you reports..I'll be looking out for them
raykilhams
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland