walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Loch Earn Corbetts

Loch Earn Corbetts

Postby weaselmaster » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:32 pm

Route description: Creag Mac Ranaich and Meall an t-Seallaidh

Corbetts included on this walk: Creag Mac Ranaich, Meall an t-Seallaidh

Date walked: 01/01/2014

Time taken: 5.51 hours

Distance: 21.9 km

Ascent: 1221m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Needing something to climb on New Year's Day I selected this pair of Corbetts from Lochearnhead. I had thought of going back to Beinn nan Imirean, but to be honest the thought of a long walk through deep snow and wet heather didn't appeal enough. So the knowlegde that the first (and last) 7km of this walk was on track sold it to me. Forecast was for low cloud, but no rain til mid-afternoon, which made a change :lol:

Got up to Lochearnhead around 9 - very quiet on the roads this morning and didn't even get pulled over for breathalysing. Set out from the parking place near the village hall and walked along to the cyclepath. The path then leaves the old railway line and heads up alongside the Kendrum burn to the top of Glen Kendrum. Behind were some views over Loch Earn and the lower regions of Ben Vorlich.

Road to the start
DSCF2326 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Loch Earn
DSCF2327 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Around 450m the clag begins and the path splits off to the right for Creag Mac Raniaich and the snow starts to be more consistent. Looking behind me there's a good sense of space with the brown clad hills lining up behind each other in a succession of "V"s. I miss the spot to turn NE up the side of CMR and have to contour back over some steeper slopes to hit the route again - there's a helpful line of old iron fenceposts that mark the way. In places the snow is so deep that progress is really slow. Heading to the first summit at 808m I manage to disappear to waist level in a snow-hole over a stream - instantly my boot fills up with icy water from the plunge - refreshing :o The flatter area at the top is cursed with virtually zero visibility and some drifts of deep snow. There's a rocky outcrop to be mounted to get to the cairn. The wind's become cold and I retrieve my warmer gloves and waterproof jacket from my sac, take a quick snap. Not much point hanging around so I retrace my steps down to the track, skidding over some of the snowy heather in the steeper places.

Clag-line
DSCF2329 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Ben Vorlich
DSCF2330 by 23weasels, on Flickr

View back along Glen Kendrum
DSCF2331 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Summit CMR
DSCF2332 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Back at the track it's time to head SW over heather and bog towards to slopes of Creag Loisgte - which I can't see. Fortunately I can make out an occasional fence post which gives guidance in the clag - however they're few and far between. The slopes steepen considerably heading up to Cam Chreag. I'm finding this really tough between disappearing into snow holes, bogs and wet snow that's virtually impossible to make any headway with. I devise a system of making progress on hands and feet, grasping my poles in their middles and laying them flat on the snow, using them as a means of distributing the weight so I don't keep disappearing. After Saturday's experiences I'm a bit worried that there's a lot of snow on this slope and I can't see what's up ahead- but there's no sign of avalanche risk or cornicing and I make it up to the top section of Cam Chreag, contouring round the craggy section and heading SE to Meall an t-Seallaidh. Once again I'm immersed in white out conditions, made worst because my glasses keep misting up - double clag :wink: This gets irritating and I'm a bit concerned of finding my way with such poor visibility - I can see on the map there are steep crags to the left. However, up ahead looms a single fence post, giving reassurance that I'm on the right track. More appear ahead and it's a matter of gritting teeth and trudging to the summit.

DSCF2333 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Meall an t-Seallaidh means Hill of the View apparently - you are supposed to be able to see Lochs Earn, Luibnaig and Voil. Not today - can barely see my own feet from the trig point. I follow the posts again, but they are not going my way for a change and I have to leave their security and head NE again back into Glen Kendrum. A mix of bumslides and lolloping over wet snow/heather patches eventually get me back to the Allt Creag MacRainich. A moment of annoyance when I can't find the bleeding path amongst all the snowy tussocks, but eventually it's back on terra fima after terra soggy and I head back along the track I've come up. Back at the car in just under 6 hours - the rain's stayed away til the last half hour of the walk too - although it comes down in torrents on the way back down the A82. Not a bad day all in all :thumbup:

IMAG0043_BURST002 by 23weasels, on Flickr
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:183   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Re: Loch Earn Corbetts

Postby PeteR » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:58 pm

Well done on getting out and about today :clap: This soft snow and rubbish weather is now becoming a bit of a pain :thumbdown: I wish it would just improve some for us all.

Tried to get out myself today, but didn't have my mojo with me and knew the rain was coming :( So I gave up and went home :roll:

Have these two Corbetts on my radar for this winter, should the weather ever improve :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby doogz » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:00 pm

Opted not to walk on 1st when i got up in the morning to get ready ..i knew weather was to deteriorate ...by how much and how quickly was too vague on the last reports id read
Keep these two for crystal clear day i think...hill of the views being my clue :wink:

Is the parking spot to the initial track quite obvious , i hate fannying about roads and tracks ...

well done even getting out

2 walks in 21 days off ..normally id have done 7-10 walks
wish these winds would feck off

Doogz
doogz

Postby weaselmaster » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:50 pm

doogz wrote:Is the parking spot to the initial track quite obvious , i hate fannying about roads and tracks ...
Doogz

Yeah, it's a large, parking lot just after you turn onto the eastbound A85 - it's signed with "P" - cannae miss it :)
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:183   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby doogz » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:29 pm

weaselmaster wrote:
doogz wrote:Is the parking spot to the initial track quite obvious , i hate fannying about roads and tracks ...
Doogz

Yeah, it's a large, parking lot just after you turn onto the eastbound A85 - it's signed with "P" - cannae miss it :)

i asked if ....""""""Is the parking spot to the initial track quite obvious """""""""""

not where to park

many thanx for your help with the info i requested

oh i see youre from Greenock , that says it all :roll:
doogz

Postby dawnfoth » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:36 pm

doogz wrote:
weaselmaster wrote:
Doogz

i asked if ....""""""Is the parking spot to the initial track quite obvious """""""""""

not where to park

many thanx for your help with the info i requested

oh i see youre from Greenock , that says it all :roll:

The thing is that the car park is not actually at the start of the route and you have to walk back from Lochearnhead (near the LochSIDE) along to the junction, (R for GlenOgle L for Strathyre) turn L walking along past the wee shop then continue along past the fenced in building plot and there's a tarmac track on the right hand side. Not far up it on the left is a wee church. You should be just about able to see this from the bottom of the track and it's wee cross or steeple on the top is the only give away.

Further up the track past all the wee hooses, there's a wee gate that takes you down onto National Cycle Route 7. You wanna go under the bridge to the right then follow it up the zig zags. It's a funny sort of route TBH until you reach the main track that takes you to the bealach (if you can call it that).
dawnfoth
Munro compleatist

Munros:269   Corbetts:16
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:11   Islands:6

Postby tall-story » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:53 pm

If its not too late why not try Edinchip Lodge ? Its at the start of the long straight maybe a mile before lochearnhead and there is plenty of parking at the road end (verge or the forestry Com access) and it will save you a couple of Ks. Just go in the drive and follow the road over the burn towards the farm and there are sign posts from there on. Straight forward and probably a good hour less than the lochearn route??? :wink: . Colin
tall-story
Walker

Munros:158   Corbetts:222
Fionas:37   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:21   

Postby doogz » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:23 pm

tall-story wrote:If its not too late why not try Edinchip Lodge ? Its at the start of the long straight maybe a mile before lochearnhead and there is plenty of parking at the road end (verge or the forestry Com access) and it will save you a couple of Ks. Just go in the drive and follow the road over the burn towards the farm and there are sign posts from there on. Straight forward and probably a good hour less than the lochearn route??? :wink: . Colin

Brilliant info ...thanx soooo much

Dawnfoth

The thing is that the car park is not actually at the start of the route and you have to walk back from Lochearnhead (near the LochSIDE) along to the junction, (R for GlenOgle L for Strathyre) turn L walking along past the wee shop then continue along past the fenced in building plot and there's a tarmac track on the right hand side. Not far up it on the left is a wee church. You should be just about able to see this from the bottom of the track and it's wee cross or steeple on the top is the only give away.

Further up the track past all the wee hooses, there's a wee gate that takes you down onto National Cycle Route 7. You wanna go under the bridge to the right then follow it up the zig zags. It's a funny sort of route TBH until you reach the main track that takes you to the bealach (if you can call it that).

also thanx soo much

i was hoping for a similar response to my initial question from the author
doogz

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland