walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stob Coire a'Chearcaill - Hangover cure

Stob Coire a'Chearcaill - Hangover cure

Postby Collaciotach » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:55 pm

Route description: Stob Coire a' Chearcaill, from Loch Eil

Corbetts included on this walk: Stob Coire a' Chearcaill

Date walked: 04/01/2014

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 800m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Co dhui bha sin Bliadhna Mhath Ura ... That was New year and the hangover of two weeks over indulgence needed curing .

I had consumed enough drink over NY to feel like the proverbial bag of ........ :roll: so the hill it was and something local ,not to hard and hopefully not knee deep in snow .

We decided on the 30min drive round to Bliach on Loch Iall and the climb onto Stob Coire a'Chearcaill , a hill I have looked on since my days as a teenager working in the wood at Fassifern yet never climbed.

Starting point is at the Boyd's place in Bliach ,a wee track heads up the hill to about the 200 m mark ,very handy , dry and easy on the pace

IMG_0043 (800x600).jpg
An slighe shuas ( Track up)

IMG_0044 (800x600).jpg

A cárn marks the spot where you head SW up the broad druim of Braigh Bliach

IMG_0051 (800x600).jpg
Carn

We were looking at a wee weather window between 10am- 12pm which promised a bit brightness and as we made our way up it looked promising but not spectacular :D

IMG_0055 (800x600).jpg
Druim Braigh Bliach

IMG_0060 (800x600).jpg
Bheinn a Bheither faisg Baile a Caolias

IMG_0066 (800x600).jpg
Cachlaidh :D

We made good on the grassy ridge , I had calculated that I would not be in much snow and that proved to be the case which given my shaky condition I was happy with :D

IMG_0071 (800x600).jpg
Stob Coire a'Chearcaill

IMG_0073 (800x600).jpg
Sneach ... beagan

The summit was soon reached and the weather brightened above us and over SE to the Ben and with the Mam Mor , Gleann Comhlainn hills looking fine with a heavy dusting of snow around 450m mark

IMG_0087 (800x600).jpg
Air a mhulaich

IMG_0091 (800x600).jpg
Beinn Neibhis

IMG_0095 (800x600).jpg
Neibhis agus Mam Mor

IMG_0096 (800x600).jpg
Caolais a Chorrain

Bha an grian a dearrsaidh air Beinn Neibhis agus na sgothan a 'suas ..... The ben looked particulary fine for a while cloud free and good snow

IMG_0099 (800x600).jpg
Am Bheinn

We spent an hour on the summit in the lea and only the West was cloud covered , aye big black ones too . I would say to folk this would be a grand hill in snow and ice the wee track gives you a good start and she is a beauty of a ridge with fine views all round :D

IMG_0086 (800x600).jpg
Druim an Iar

Local tradition has it the Mac Master's were king here in Aird nan Gobhair until the MacLean's took it away from them around 13th c after years of fierce fighting

For me today I gladly gave Ardgour my hangover ,she took it and is welcome to hold onto it forever :D

IMG_0116 (800x600).jpg
An rathad sios

Bliadhna Mhath Ura dhuibh uile :D

IMG_0122 (800x600).jpg
An cu
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Re: Stob Coire a'Chearcaill - Hangover cure

Postby weaselmaster » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:05 pm

To be honest, I'm surprised a Two week hangover was cured so readily :lol:
That's some amount of overindulgence Colla!

I do agree that the hills tend to be a perfect hangover cure - better even than Irn Bru and a fry up
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:183   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby mr1470 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:01 pm

Lovely photos. We saw you on Saturday, just as we were walking back up to our house next door to the track. We don't get that many folks heading up the path from here. It's a lovely way up, and speaking as someone who heads up there 3 or 4 times a week, there's lots to explore off-path as well. When you get up to the cairn, if you turn left and follow the fence line, you can drop down into the bealach between Stob C a C and Meall an t-Slamain and head up to the prominent erratic on the latter hill. Plus, I keep meaning to get dropped off over at Stronchreaggan and run back over the top to our house.
mr1470

Fionas:19   Donalds:2

Postby malky_c » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:08 pm

Glad you finally got some reasonable weather in the West - Looks like it has been much worse down there than Inverness. I like the look of this hill - planning to do it in the spring when I can use the ferry from Fort William to Camusnagaul. Will probably take the tent and spend a couple of days in Ardgour :)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby mr1470 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:44 pm

malky, the weather has been incredibly wet over here of late, everything is saturated at the moment.

Oh, by the way, the wee ferry runs all year, it's a vital "commuter" route for folks over here. There have been a few occasions lately when the gale force winds have stopped it, but otherwise, it's a lovely ride across. Plenty of smashing routes and, in particular, if I can pick up the fitness again this spring, the round of the Cona Glen looks like a cracking outing, at around 28 miles.
mr1470

Postby malky_c » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:55 pm

mr1470 wrote:malky, the weather has been incredibly wet over here of late, everything is saturated at the moment.

Oh, by the way, the wee ferry runs all year, it's a vital "commuter" route for folks over here. There have been a few occasions lately when the gale force winds have stopped it, but otherwise, it's a lovely ride across. Plenty of smashing routes and, in particular, if I can pick up the fitness again this spring, the round of the Cona Glen looks like a cracking outing, at around 28 miles.

Excellent, cheers. I know the running of it changed hands recently, and my (out of date) timetable has it starting at the end of March. I might still wait until a little later in the year so I can get some decent daylight though.
malky_c

Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:58 pm

weaselmaster wrote:To be honest, I'm surprised a Two week hangover was cured so readily :lol:
That's some amount of overindulgence Colla!

I do agree that the hills tend to be a perfect hangover cure - better even than Irn Bru and a fry up

Ha I 'm practised at it ..so my missus syas :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:01 pm

mr1470 wrote:Lovely photos. We saw you on Saturday, just as we were walking back up to our house next door to the track. We don't get that many folks heading up the path from here. It's a lovely way up, and speaking as someone who heads up there 3 or 4 times a week, there's lots to explore off-path as well. When you get up to the cairn, if you turn left and follow the fence line, you can drop down into the bealach between Stob C a C and Meall an t-Slamain and head up to the prominent erratic on the latter hill. Plus, I keep meaning to get dropped off over at Stronchreaggan and run back over the top to our house.

Aye I mind seeing you it is a nice part of the Gaidhealtachd the lochside .
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:07 pm

malky_c wrote:Glad you finally got some reasonable weather in the West - Looks like it has been much worse down there than Inverness. I like the look of this hill - planning to do it in the spring when I can use the ferry from Fort William to Camusnagaul. Will probably take the tent and spend a couple of days in Ardgour :)

Aye the wee ferry runs all year right enough.

I have never seen a wet period with the sustained heavy , heavy , rainfall for many a year it has been pretty grim even by our standards.

If your around give me a shout , there is also a spare berth in the caravan if your stuck , bout 20 mins from the foot of Sgurr Dhomhnaill :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby litljortindan » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:14 pm

Looks a very fine hill with great views. Can your dog see them though?
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby rockhopper » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:41 pm

Looks a great hangover cure :thumbup: and some great views. Have to admit to giving up trying to get out over the last few weeks - weather was just too depressing. Fingers crossed for January onwards :roll: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:30 pm

Looks a fine day Colla. I was thinking of doing this one along with Meall an t-Slamain and getting the passenger ferry over from Fort William. :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby mr1470 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:37 am

Johnny Corbett wrote:Looks a fine day Colla. I was thinking of doing this one along with Meall an t-Slamain and getting the passenger ferry over from Fort William. :D

Cracking idea. Although the route up the track is nice, I reckon by far the best ascent of this hill is to turn left off the ferry and walk down the road to Stronchreaggan and then do the "horseshoe". Personally, I'd head up left first and do it acw, but that means you get a sting in the tail with the ascent of Slamain at the end. However, if you're on the ferry, you can descent straight down off there to Trislaig.
mr1470

Postby mr1470 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:43 pm

mr1470 wrote:Cracking idea. Although the route up the track is nice, I reckon by far the best ascent of this hill is to turn left off the ferry and walk down the road to Stronchreaggan and then do the "horseshoe". Personally, I'd head up left first and do it acw, but that means you get a sting in the tail with the ascent of Slamain at the end. However, if you're on the ferry, you can descent straight down off there to Trislaig.

Sorry, I meant clockwise, not acw!
mr1470

Postby Scotjamie » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:13 pm

Great report from a superb area. Am sure it helped your hangover, though the wee one still looked a bit fragile!
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland